New Delhi, Jul 13 (PTI) India and China are all set to resume their defence secretary-level dialogue, which had suffered a setback a year ago after Beijing denied visa to a Jammu and Kashmir-based Army commander. "We are in the process of finalising dates for the Annual Defence Dialogue, which will be held this year," Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar said today. After the visa row erupted, defence exchanges between the two sides were suspended but they resumed recently when an Army delegation under a Kashmir-based Major General went to China last month. India had called off defence exchanges in July last year after China refused visa to Lt Gen B S Jaswal, who was Northern Army commander, on the ground that he came from "sensitive" Jammu and Kashmir. On his last day as Defence Secretary, Kumar was interacting with reporters before taking over as the Central Vigilance Commissioner tomorrow. Asked about the progress in the Indian defence projects undergoing in Russia, Kumar said he had visited Moscow last month heading the High-level Monitoring Committee and expressed satisfaction at the pace of the projects there. "The Russians have also assured us that they will adhere to the December 2012 schedule for the delivery of the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier," he said. On queries related to the role of foreign policy in deciding on the defence acquisitions, Kumar said the ministry''s policy in these cases was guided by the operational requirements and needs of the armed forces.
India, China to hold defence dialogue this year, IBN Live News