In surahs before this mankind were told to sort out themselves sensibly in order to organise in a way that they become a people worth the name instead of accepting life of animals. They were guided step by step into becoming a good human community that is well organised ready to move forward onto economic front. The initial goal was removal of conflicts and rifts then coming together of people was encouraged and then social set up was pointed out as a goal. Once people were brought together as a community based upon divine constitution the goal was set to make the community economically viable so progress and prosperity became the main issue as explained in surah 6 and developed further in surah 7. The quran intends that people who claim to follow it turn themselves into an excellent nation in every way. This is how the quran wants its followers to reflect the glory of Allah for others to follow suit.
Surah 8 is bringing to attention of mankind what a progressive and prosperous nations is expected to look like. Not only it is supposed to be able to cope with all that is thrown at it from any side but also go beyond that and be extra prepared for dealing with all eventualities. In short people who claim to follow the quran are expected to be productive to such degree that to go beyond that is not possible by any other people. This surah also brings to attention the intentions of other people who oppose way of life the quran promotes and tells its followers to not to neglect their defences and to be well capable of fending off any attacks by enemies of islam=peace and muslims=the peaceful people. In short muslims are supposed to be capable of containing the rest of humanity in order to ensure peace in the word on terms and condition acceptable to all. The quran does not give advantage to anyone muslim or nonmuslim when it comes to ensuring peace between mankind instead it provides such basis for it that none can come up with anything like it. It does not allow animosity between people even when people attack muslims yet muslims are told to go for peace if attackers so desire despite muslims having upper hand in the battlefield. Human dignity is not to be compromised is the main lesson of the quran because Allah wants to dignify human beings to their rightful status. If any people disgrace themselves that is up to them but that is not intention of Allah for them.
SURAH 8 AL ANFAAL= The Surpluses
Proclaim, in the name of Allah, the gracious, the merciful.
1) They will need an explanation of you about reserves. Tell them, savings are advised by Allah through the messenger for distribution between yourselves in times of your needs, this is how you should be consistent with constitution of Allah through setting up beneficial institutions among yourselves as a community. That is how you should be consistent with rule of Allah along with His messenger if you are indeed committed to working for peace.
2) The truly committed to working for peace can only be those who when they are told about program of Allah their minds are excited because when His goals and guidelines are recited to them their self confidence grows that is why they end up relying upon the set out universal laws of their Lord,
3) It is such that establish the rule (social structures, systems and practices) of Allah whereby they open up whatever We have provided for their sustenance for the benefit of each other.
4) They are the ones who are really committed to working for peace as they ought to therefore to them belong heights of dignity according to set laws of their Lord because they earn protection against all ills through securing honourable provision for themselves as a community.
5) It is due to this struggle for the set out purpose your Lord brought you out of your state of existence that you the people were in even though some of those who committed to working for peace were hesitant.
6) The hesitant group sought explanation of you the people with clarity of purpose about the purpose of the move in relation to the context of the mission that had been made clear to them already. They thought as if they were being led to the dead end so that is what they were expecting.
7) But remember Allah already set out for you one of the two goals even though you settled for the one that was least demanding as your target but Allah planned to fulfil His program according to His set out universal laws in order to eliminate the way of those who oppose His constitution,
8) so that the truthfulness of Our program proves true and the falsehood against it proves false even though those who commit crimes against humanity in opposition to Our constitution detest it.
9) Call to mind the time when you the people sought help of your Lord so He responded that I will help you with a force of one thousand men well trained and fully organized fit for the missionary task.
10) By means of this good news Allah raised confidence in your minds that help cannot come from anyone save through hard work according to constitution of Allah because Allah is mighty in wisdom.
11) Remember long before the commencement of the battle for the mission He filled you the people with confidence from Himself by raining down upon you the heavenly inspiration to free you thereby of any doubt or to remove from you any harmful thoughts caused by any opponent of heavenly rule and to strengthen your minds thereby and to help you take firm steps for the success of the mission for establishing the divine kingdom.
12) At the time your Lord revealed to you O prophet for the people on the mission the message that I am with you and told you to give courage to those committed to working for peace. I will thereby bring fear in the minds of those who declare war against My rule therefore go for the very foundation of their society/lifeline and dismantle each of their principles/aspects they stand upon in every way till they see sense.
13) Do this to them because they commit atrocities against each other in defiance of constitution of Allah and also against His messenger and any people who declare war against rule of Allah and against His messenger should beware that Allah has put in place the rule of consequences and law of retaliation.
14) It is therefore proper for you to use it if the aggressor repents and reforms not because there is indeed painful suffering for those who wage war against installation of constitution of Allah.
15) O you who claim to be committed to working for peace! When you are challenged you must be fully prepared to strive against those who wage war against rule of Allah by oppressing and suppressing mankind and never should you budge from your position in the battlefield.
16) Be warned! Whoever leaves his position on such an occasion unless it be for battle strategy such as to join his supporting forces will be left by Allah in painful suffering and how awful will that life be for him!
17) And it is not that you are fighting them for your own individual gains but that you are fighting them for the greater goals as set by Allah according to His guidelines for the good of mankind so whatever you attacked them with it was not by you for yourselves but it was thrown at them with backing of Allah so that He puts those who commit to working for peace through this struggle successfully, Allah makes evident for people His vast observation indeed.
18) And that is something for you to think about because that is how Allah neutralises all plots of those who oppose installation of His rule thereby make each other suffer.
19) Say, O fighters against installation of heavenly kingdom, if you wanted heavenly truth to be made manifest then the truth has been demonstrated for you. So if you now stop opposing it then it will benefit you but if you step aside from the truth then We too will let the consequences of your own actions take their course and your forces however large in numbers they will not avail you at all because Allah is surely with those who commit to working for peace on His terms and conditions.
20) O you who claim to be committed to working for peace! Be consistent with constitution of Allah indeed along with His messenger and do not turn your backs on His message now that you have heard it.
21) Do not be like those who say, we hear but they act not upon what they hear.
22) Surely most harmful and destructive people in judgement of Allah are those who act as if deaf and dumb to His goals and guidelines having learned no sense.
23) And if Allah had found in them constructive mindset and beneficial attitude towards mankind then He would have indeed made their heeding to His guidance evident. Even though He had made sure that His message is delivered to them yet they had turned away and that is the clue that they heard it not.
24) O you who claim to be committed to working for peace, respond appropriately to the message of Allah and the call of His Messenger when he calls you to that which is to give you a great future thus make it evident by your actions that message of Allah does make difference to the man through his mind and surely it is He under Whose constitution you will all be assembled as one people.
25) So guard yourselves thereby against tumult and upheaval that results from oppression and suppression through your brotherhood because rift and civil strife not only affects those of you who cause it but you too as individuals and families will be dragged into it, so be warned that Allah is strict in making people face the results of their own actions.
26) Call to mind how He sheltered you when you were a few in numbers and were lacking in power in the land, always worrying in case your enemies would kidnap and enslave you. He made you strong through His revelation and provided you a safe asylum and gave you guidelines to participate in all that is beneficial for mankind so that you show to others that you have appreciated through establishing His rule.
27) O you who claim to be committed to working for peace! Do not betray knowingly the set mission of Allah via His Messenger nor violate your trusts in each other as a brotherhood
28) rather you should make manifest through your actions that things you have and children you have are in fact a means of helping you in this struggle to see how you deal with each other and surely it rests with Allah to reward you greatly should you work for the good of each other.
29) O you who claim to be committed to working for peace! If you really desire to be consistent with constitution of Allah for the good of humanity then He will inspire you with sense of understanding of criterion and its use whereby you can judge between your mutual beneficial and harmful participation to free you from wrongdoings against each other and thus protect you from any resultant harmful effects for you because it is Allah alone who bestows dignity and honour upon mankind.
30) And remember how the opponents of heavenly rule plotted against you the people. They sought to take you captive or kill you or exile you. They conspired to do things their way and Allah also planned to do things His way and Allah is unique of the planers.
31) So call to mind the time when Our revelations were recited to them and they used to say, we have heard them and if we wished, we could produce the like. These are nothing but tales of the ancients.
32) And remember also how they used to say, O Allah! If this Quran is indeed the truth from You then rain down upon us some concrete supernatural miracles to convince us or inflict upon us some dreadful miraculous punishment to punish us for refusing to accept this Quran.
33) But Allah would only give them evidences as told and will punish them not the while you were in their midst delivering His message to them. Nor does Allah punish a people while there are amongst them such people as are truly seeking His protection in form of His guidance.
34) But now there is no reason why Allah should not make them face the consequences of their own actions because they have driven you out and they are blocking others from the sacred goal therefore they cannot be its supporters. Surely none can be its supporters save those who want to be consistent with rule of Allah for the good of humanity yet most of them do not learn sense to understand this.
35) Their ruling system in their jurisdiction is for nothing other than to gain influence on people to be arrogant or to take undue advantage of others. Say, then suffer the consequences because of your opposition to divine goals and guidelines.
36) Surely those who oppose Our guidance use what they have to block people from the way of Allah and so will they continue to spend but in the end their these very efforts will become the cause of their regrets and in time they will end up destroyed, that is how those who oppose installation of Our rule will end up gathered together in painful suffering,
37) In order that Allah may separate the people with destructive mindset and harmful attitude against humanity from the people with constructive mindset and beneficial attitude for humanity and heap the destructive people upon one another, thus put them altogether and then land them into pit of hell of their own making because they are of those who are losers.
38) Tell those who oppose Our rule, if they stop opposing Our rule from now on their past behaviour will be overlooked but if they persist then let them reflect upon the consequences for those passed before them.
39) Yet if they still persist then campaign against them until they are unable to cause wars anymore and actions of people are entirely judged by rule of Allah alone but if they stop then Allah is surely watching all that they do.
40) If they turn their backs to this advice then know that Allah supports you not them for He is supporter for the progress and helper of the prosperity of mankind.
41) Due to this help of Allah you are made aware that anything you produce as a community one-fifth of it is for Allah so that the messenger uses it for those needing assistance such as the individuals without ability or opportunity to produce and the well settled in ways of production but fall in need for some legitimate reason and the ones on a journey to explore new ways producing things if you really are committed to working for peace according to the constitution of Allah on basis of that which We have revealed upon Our man for purpose of differentiation between rule of Allah and rule of man for purpose of unity between two factions that opposed each other. So remember that Allah has setup laws to govern over all things.
42) Behold! You were on the higher ground objectively and they were on the other side and their objective was harmful for all of you. Even if you had made a mutual appointment to fight it between yourselves yet you would have failed but Allah sought to accomplish what He had planned so that those who still went for suffering may do so after clear proof have been placed before them and those who wanted blissful life may do so after clear proof are placed before them. That is how Allah makes evident for mankind to see that He observes things comprehensively.
43) Remember in your thoughts Allah made them appear to you weak in their objectives and the supportive arguments, had He shown them to you strong then you would have surely lost courage and instead you would have quarrelled even amongst yourselves about this matter and that is how Allah helped you win peace because He makes evident the very motives in minds of people through results of their actions.
44) So remember the time when you locked them in the battle of wits He exposed them to you as a people weak in objectives and arguments before your very eyes whereas He saw them taking you as merely an ill equipped minority in their eyes yet Allah let the truth about His program be established through that very party because ultimately only according to set laws of Allah all affairs are settled.
45) O you who claim to be committed to working for peace! When you face an opponent in an arena be firm and let glory of Allah become manifest greatly so that you end up successful in your given mission.
46) Therefore be consistent with constitution of Allah along with His Messenger and argue not with one another senselessly against the mission that unites you because you will disintegrate and weaken your strength so instead show endurance and persistence in following set out objectives and guidelines because Allah supports those who take steps steadfastly but sensibly towards the set out goal.
47) So do not be like those who come forth from their positions in disarray and confused just for purpose of showing off people that they are invincible thus they intend to stop others from the way of Allah but they forget that Allah confines all their moves against installation of His rule.
48) Remember when the leadership of the hypocrites among you approached the leadership of your opponents and made their course of actions attractive to them saying, none of the people can overcome you today because I will be at hand to help you. Yet when both the parties came face to face with each other he turned back on his word saying, I am not with you anymore because I can see which way things are going which you cannot. I am now more concerned about success of mission of Allah as well as about Allah being strict in calling people to account.
49) At that time the party of the hypocrites who had designs in their minds were saying to each other, their make beliefs have let them down. That is why it should be clear to all that anyone who puts his trust in set out universal laws of Allah will find Allah sound in His wisdom.
50) If you could imagine the time when the promise of installation of rule of Allah is fulfilled to those who oppose His rule by the people who strive for establishing His kingdom as they surround them from their front and their back saying, taste the result of the fire of hatred you have created among yourselves.
51) This terrible situation you brought upon yourselves by your own course of actions because laws of Allah never inflict injustice upon people.
52) The same thing happened to the people of Pharaoh and to those that had gone before them. They also opposed the guidelines of Allah and victimised their people so Allah found them caught in their own mutual destruction. Surely Allah is mighty and strict in enforcing His set out universal laws.
53) That is Allah never changes the blissful state of existence which He has bestowed on a people due to following of His guidelines until they themselves change their state of existence for the worst by falling away from His guidelines and that is how Allah makes obvious for mankind that His advice is comprehensive and should not be taken lightly.
54) This same principle applied to the people of Pharaoh and those who have gone before them, they rejected the set goal and guidelines of their Lord so We caught them in the process of their mutual destruction because they did terrible things to each other.
55) This is why the most harmful and destructive people in the sight of Allah are those who reject and oppose divine rule because they do not want to commit themselves to working for peace.
56) Such as those who make treaties with you and time after time violate their treaties and have no concern for the advice of God or for the good of humanity.
57) So if you decide to counter them by declaring war against them then defeat them decisively making an example of them for others who may be thinking of following their example so that they all may learn a good lesson.
58) Also if you have good evidence to fear treachery from any of the factions with whom you have any treaty then you must finish off the treaty with them well before you decide to attack them because Allah supports not a people who keep not to their words.
59) Let not the opposers of Our rule think that they can get better of those who commit to working for peace, surely they can never succeed in frustrate them.
60) However be well prepared against them in every way including the military strength or at least a fighting force that you can muster so that you could use this strength as deterrent against these like enemies of goals and guidelines of Allah and your enemies to prevent them from attacking you and also others besides them who are not obvious to you but obvious to Allah. Remember that whatever you spend in the way of installation of kingdom of Allah will be paid back to you in full because you will not be treated using unjust laws in that kingdom.
61) However if these enemies incline towards peace then do make peace with them but by putting your trust in set out laws of Allah. That is how He makes obvious to mankind that He is comprehensive in His advice for them.
62) And should they intend to deceive you then set out universal laws of Allah should be relied upon by you. He is the One Who has strengthened you thereby with those who have committed themselves to working for peace,
63) by inspiring sense of brotherhood in their minds. If you had spent all that which is in the earth even then you could not have united their minds this way nonetheless Allah has united them because He is mighty solid in His wisdom.
64) O Prophet! Surely universal laws of Allah are sufficient for you to rely upon and for those who support you of those who are committed to working for peace.
65) O Prophet! Rouse those who claim to have committed themselves to working for peace to prepare themselves for war also. They should train to such degree that if there are twenty fully trained among you then they should be able to vanquish two hundred and if there are one hundred they should be able to overcome one thousand of those who oppose Our mission because they are enemies of humanity as they are a people who lack the sense of brotherhood and sacrifice for the good of others.
66) Just now as things are Allah is informing you that you are not well prepared for wars because there are individuals among you who are weak in their fighting skills yet as things stand if there are one hundred good fighters among you, they should be able to vanquish two hundred and if there are one thousand, they should be able to overcome two thousand because that is the declared plan of Allah for you and Allah backs those who stand for His set goals as per His guidelines and they stand their ground.
67) Remember that in case of war it is not the divine objective for a prophet to make people his prisoners or to cause aimless bloodshed in the land. Would you therefore go for the short term gains in the world the way it is whereas Allah plans the better end goal of installation of lasting divine kingdom for you? That is because Allah is mighty in His wisdom.
68) That is the reason Allah has given you the constitution so that you forge ahead by understanding and implementing it lest you are caught in terrible painful suffering like others who inflict harm and destruction upon each other.
69) Therefore take part in all that is productive, lawful and beneficial so that you are consistent with constitution of Allah for the good of mankind. Surely Allah protects people through His revelation for progress and prosperity of mankind.
70) O Prophet! Tell those under your care of those with limited means that if Allah finds improvement in your mindset and attitude then He will give you even better than what you have been found with and remove your difficulties from you. For Allah is protector of mankind through His revelation for their progress and prosperity.
71) And if they still have treacherous designs against you after you set them free from ignorance and poverty then that will not be anything new they have already demonstrated deception to Allah and people that is why He gave them under your care for reformation so let them go when they are ready so that they may demonstrate if they have mended their ways. That is how Allah makes obvious His sovereignty based upon His wisdom.
72) As for those who claim to be committed to working for peace and migrated and made effort in the way of Allah with whatever they have and their persons as well as those who gave them asylum and support are indeed the true supporters of one another. As to those who declared commitment to working for peace yet emigrated not, you are under no obligation to protect them until they emigrate but it is your obligation to help them if they are oppressed by any other people in matters of their legal rights except against a people with whom you have a treaty and they have accepted to live under their rule. Surely Allah is aware of all that you do to each other or for each other.
73) As to those who oppose Our rule they support each other against it. So if you fail to do as told then there will be wars in the land and great corruption and destruction for mankind.
74) Those who have committed to working for peace and migrated and made efforts in the way of installing the kingdom of Allah and those who gave them asylum and support, they are the true followers of Our guidance. They will in time have freedom from all ills and honourable provisions once the heavenly kingdom becomes established on the earth.
75) Those who commit to working for peace afterwards and migrate and joined you in your ideological struggle to establish the rule of Allah according to His constitution, they too are your brethren despite the fact that according to the book of Allah the blood relatives have closer bonds with one other. Indeed with Allah rests the responsibility of making all things essential obvious for mankind.