Pakistan plans 12 billion dollars reconstruction in quake hit areas
Islamabad, Oct 26 : The Pakistani government is working on a 10-12 billion dollars reconstruction plan for the quake-hit regions of ******************-Kashmir and the North West Frontier Province, media reports today said.
Dawn quoted official sources as saying the government would arrange about 45 per cent funding (roughly five billion dollars) for the plan which is expected to be submitted to Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz on November 15 for approval.
The government expects that a donors' conference being held in Geneva today will contribute substantial grants to help Pakistan rebuild roads, bridges, schools, colleges, hospitals, government offices and villages in the quake-hit areas.
The sources said pledges of about 1.2 billion dollars had been made and the government was expecting 4 billion dollars from international donors and bilateral creditors before the end of November to effectively execute the plan.
The remaining amount of about 8 billion dollars, the sources said, was likely to come from private sector in the country and abroad. The government wants this funding to be used to improve housing and tourism facilities, including development of quality hotels, motels and apartments, in ***.
The first damage assessment report being prepared jointly by the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) will be ready by November five.
The sources said former US president Bill Clinton, who had started raising funds and donations on the pattern of his campaign for tsunami victims, had expressed his readiness to introduce inexpensive technology for rapid house-building in Pakistan.