Tactical Area Communications System (TASMUS) is a system which provides all communication requirements of Network Centric Warfare (NCW) infrastructure to 21st century armies. The main goal of TASMUS is to form a common picture of the battlefield in near-real time and share data among battlefield command control systems. It facilitates fusion and display of intelligence information to commanders at all levels and handles the exchange of targeting data from sensor to weapon systems.
The tactical battlefield is now becoming a ground for extensive digital data exchange where many sensors, weapons, computers and command centers need to exchange high speed data in order to perform effectively and coherently. More so, these units need to carry out their data exchange while on the move because the new military doctrines heavily emphasize on mobility and flexibility. On the battlefield several command control functions such as fire support, manoeuvre control, intelligence, electronic warfare, and logistics support need to be executed simultaneously. These command control functions rely on rapid and reliable exchange of information on the tactical field. These command control functions may have different communication requirements but, what is needed is an integrated solution that will provide the necessary communication support to all of these command control applications. Here, the communication solution provided by ASELSAN, TASMUS, fulfils all these requirements on tactical area and offers a compact, deployable, extendable, secure and easy-use system to users. Since 2000, TASMUS has been in operation in Turkish Army and has been continuously upgraded so far according to the technological improvements and customer requirements. TASMUS is designed to meet all tactical battlefield requirements with an integrated solution to form a mobile, survivable, flexible and secure tactical network to support all the communication needs (voice, data and video) of tactical commanders and to support all the needs for Network Centric Warfare (NCW) concept. TASMUS is deployed in area (theater) of military operations such that, seamless communication between the army and battalion/company level is achieved. It provides interfaces to the strategic telecom and data networks above the army level, while providing connection to the existing CNR systems via CNRI. TASMUS, as being a very powerful “tactical communications infrastructure”, provides reliable and efficient exchange of information on the tactical field, meeting today’s and future armed forces mobility needs.
- TASMUS provides Network Centric infrastructure for communication backbone and meet all the C4I requirements to 21st century armies
- TASMUS provides full IP solution and incorporates IP, ATM and ISDN switching technologies together.
- TASMUS is compliant with the NATO TACOMS POST 2000 architecture.
- TASMUS is a modular system, since the system can be extended according to customer requirements.
- TASMUS provides communications services including voice (clear/encrypted); data (asynchronous, synchronous, IP, X.25 packet data), graphics, video, images, file transfer; and fax and video conferencing, whereas its information services include: the provision of a near-real time picture of the battlefield; digital map and geographic information; meteorological information; intelligence reports; and logistic information.
- TASMUS network management and planning system, “SYSCON” meets military network management and planning requirements by using both IP based SNMP protocol and NATO TACOMS POST-2000 system control concepts. SYSCON manages all subscriber profiles, COMSEC and TRANSEC features and system topology.
- TASMUS provides interfaces to the other strategic telecom and data networks, PTT networks, SATCOM and CNR tactical radios.
- TASMUS provides Interoperability with the Other Nations, with Allied Networks, and with Strategic (Commercial/Military) Networks.
- TASMUS supports all of the Teleservices, Bearer Services and Supplementary Services defined in NATO TACOMS POST-2000, including military features such as “priority”, “pre-emption”.
- TASMUS provides Electronic Protection Measures (LPI/LPT Capability, Link-by-Link TRANSEC & COMSEC and end-to-end encryption)
- TASMUS supports mobility. For Mobile subscribers, TASMUS provides service thorough Software Defined Radios, acting as the mobile access terminal.