China boss kills two workers in 44-cent pay row
CHINA - 5 FEBRUARY 2010
BEIJING — A labour contractor in central China stabbed to death two workers in a dispute over three yuan (44 cents) he withheld from their salaries, state media reported on Friday.
Wu Xianmin attacked the two migrant workers with a knife Wednesday after they confronted him in front of a government office building in the city of Zhengzhou, stabbing them both in the neck, the Global Times said.
The two men, Yang Qinzhong and Zhu Yongxiang, were among a group of migrant workers who had been employed to repair the building in the capital of Henan province.
Wu admitted to the workers that he had deducted the money from the salaries of several workers for his own personal use, the report said.
The workers were intent on retrieving their salaries before heading home for this month's Lunar New Year, the country's most important national holiday, when masses of Chinese head to their hometowns to visit loved ones.
China has more than 200 million migrant workers who toil far from home in a range of jobs and whose income is vital to their poor families.
At least 240 million people are expected to travel during this year's holiday, the government has said, in an annual mass migration that has already begun in the build-up to the key February 14 celebration.