What's new

30-35 percent water shortage in Pakistan because of India

Omar1984

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

ISLAMABAD: The technical committee of Indus River System Authority (IRSA) while forecasting 30 to 35 percent water shortage in upcoming Rabi season has demanded of the Government to take water blocking issue with India on priority basis.

Chief Engineer IRSA Aurangzaib Khattak chaired the committee meeting held here on Friday and attended by representatives of four Provinces, Directors regulation and Water and Power Development Authority‘s authorities.

During the meeting, it was said that Punjab and Sindh would have to bear the burden of water shortage in upcoming Rabi season while the decision made in this meeting would be endorsed by advisory committee of IRSA scheduled to meet on October 01.

During the IRSA advisory committee meeting water share of Provinces would be determined. The meeting was informed that 34.5 million acre water would be needed in upcoming Rabi season while during the same period the country would have 21 million acre water. The water would be distributed among Provinces under 1991 accord.

Sindh has slashed its water demand by 25,000 cusec and now it would get 75,000 cusec water instead of 10,0000 cusec water. The authorities of WAPDA during the meeting said India has not installed pumps at Chinab River but also allowed generation of electricity by violating Indus River accord and Pakistan had to face 35 percent water shortage in last 2 years.

Sources told Online the IRSA members during the meeting demanded of the Government to take up water issue with Indian effectively. Outflow of water from Tarbela dam in upcoming Rabi season would be reduced by 10,000 cusec.

the case has already been solved in UN i think with UN decison in favor of India.

the case has already been solved in UN i think with UN decison in favor of India.

Case will be put forward in International court of arbitration. I don't think there is any decision yet.

Its all due to poor monsoon this year. Most of Indian states are afftected by this.

Its all due to poor monsoon this year. Most of Indian states are afftected by this.

Did you even read the article before posting:

The authorities of WAPDA during the meeting said India has not installed pumps at Chinab River but also allowed generation of electricity by violating Indus River accord and Pakistan had to face 35 percent water shortage in last 2 years.

Article has old rants... there is nothing new in that....
Its natural calmity due to improper monsoon, river level might have come down to the expected level and water reserve would also be afftected. GoI can only manage the available water reserve for better utilization...

BTW i have a question here.. How many Dams are there in Pakistan? and how more are constrcuted? as we know Water Resources are very valuable and need to make plans to utilise them...

I would be very surprised if India was intentionally blocking water. Till now there has been no violation as per world bank and UN records.

I would expect the Indian govt. to clarify issues related to this. But like deep.ocean said, it could be to do with environmental issues and lower snowfall.

Back
Top Bottom