What's new

AMCA Update

anyways one thing is for sure that is HAl will not make the mistake of delaying this project like LCA becoz there is lot of things at stake for it and armed forces will lose belife in HAl.
so may be 8 yrs

ADA is the body that has designed and developed LCA and is incharge of AMCA. HAL is production agency for LCA.

Fifthly India is still "totally" dependent on Israel , France and Russia for Avionics , Radar , ejection seats , refuling probes , MMI , ECM , EW , Targeting pods , navigation hardware , helmet mounted sights and mother of all - Air to air armament both close range and beyond visual range plus "precision land attack munitions".

I wonder how India is going to make all of the above issues possible "on its own" in 4-5 years to make an "Indian AMCA" not an aircraft fitted with imported parts like LCA.

Lastly , how India is going to meet 4S standards for a fifth generation air craft "on its own" - without foreign help considering that it hasn't been able to develop a 4th generation aircraft "on its own" even in 30 years?

4S standards

1: Stealth== Indian Experience ?
2: Supercruise== Indian Experience with "high thrust" engines ?
3: Super maneuverability == How AMCA would meet this Requirement without a potent engine and aerodynamic design?
4: Sensor fusion === How India is going to do that in 4 years when it can't even develop 4th gen avionics on its own?

PS: This is a serious question , people with chauvinistic mentality of "we can do it" in four years out of no where are not expected to reply.

Regards:

Valid question and I don't deny I've been having thoughts about these myself. But given the way recent decisions in terms of procurement of Sukhoi and the MMRCA tender have progressed, the Indian Govt hopes the ToT and indegineous manufacturing of planes in India would allow India to have the capability of working on the frame and supply of structural components within India. The Super Sukhoi is expected to be near stealth and the Indians did modify the Su30MKI earlier to reduce IR signature.
Also, the SU-t50/Pak FA is also supposed to be eventually built in India as per ToT. Reports suggest that Indian engineers have been regularly briefed on the project and the ToT is not something which can happen over night. I suspect the knowledge gained through this exchange must have pushed the IAF to change the requirement from near Stealth to Stealth.

At the risk of being overly optimistic, I expect the first designs to be out by 2013. But given the lack of competitive designing (there is only one agency in India as opposed to 2-3 in Russia and US which compete during the design stage), I expect there can definitely be delays due to user (IAF) input and the infamous bureaucracy.

Stealth Air-intake Fabrication For AMCA

AMCA_INTAKE.jpg

AMCA_INTAKE+2.jpg

These are the first official DRDO images of fabrication of compact advanced serpentine air-intakes, intended for preliminary studies on performance. The DRDO plans serpentine air intakes on its Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) and the IUSAV stealth UCAV. Recently posted a new cutaway image of the impression airframe, throwing new light on the aircraft's stealth and design elements. Much more about the AMCA's stealth elements here.

Livefist: Stealth Air-intake Fabrication For AMCA

NOW THIS IS GOOD ****

This is not good even on paper.

The official CAD images above, from the Advanced Projects & Technologies (AP&T) directorate of India's Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) provide further perspective on the low-observable design elements that are known to be going into India's Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA), known for a while now to be a stealth aircraft concept. Serpentine air intakes (with minimum flow distortion and robust pressure recovery) and internal weapons bays, depicted in the images above, are some of the most critical nose-on low observability design elements going into the programme.

As part of the multidisciplinary design optimization (MDO) currently on for the AMCA -- a wind tunnel model of which was first publicly displayed at AeroIndia 2009 -- that design-based stealth features will include further optimized airframe shaping, edge matching, body conforming antennae and a low IR signature through nozzle design, engine bay cooling and work on reduced exhaust temperature. RAMs, RAPs, special coatings for polycarbonate canopy and precision manufacturing will all be part of the effort to make the AMCA India's first stealth airplane.

Livefist: The Stealth In India's Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA)

We will gain more in the years to come with tech transfer offsets from the Rafale deal as well as FGFA project with Russia.

Hope this doesn't turn out to be another LCA Tejas . Project started in 1983...after lot of hardships and sanctions it flew in 2001. This was followed by promises:

2004: LCA Tejas MK1 will be fully operational by 2010

LCA Tejas still not ready - Times Of India

2011: LCA Tejas MK1 will be fully operational by 2013

Tejas won't become fully operational before 2013 - Times Of India

2013: LCA Tejas MK1 will be fully operational by 2015

`LCA Tejas likely to be ready for operational service by 2015`

2015: LCA Tejas MK1 will be fully operational by ?????????????????

Finally DRDO has declared AMCA will fly in 2020...hope this promise wont have the same fate a those mentioned above.

Hope this doesn't turn out to be another LCA Tejas . Project started in 1983...after lot of hardships and sanctions it flew in 2001. This was followed by promises:

2004: LCA will be Tejas MK1 fully operational by 2010

LCA Tejas still not ready - Times Of India

2011: LCA Tejas MK1 will be fully operational by 2013

Tejas won't become fully operational before 2013 - Times Of India

2013: LCA Tejas MK1 will be fully operational by 2015

`LCA Tejas likely to be ready for operational service by 2015`

2015: LCA Tejas MK1 will be fully operational by ?????????????????

Finally DRDO has declared AMCA will fly in 2020...hope this promise isn't like those mentioned above.

What's you point? Do you think anyone is under the illusion the LCA has been able to keep all its deadlines?

Your point on the AMCA is moot, a FIRST try is always going to be an uphill battle- all subsequent efforts will build on this foundation. So the LCA's past history should have ZERO bearing on the AMCA and its deadlines.

What's you point? Do you think anyone is under the illusion the LCA has been able to keep all its deadlines?

Sorry my bad...just edited it...kindly refer to it now. I hope DRDO, HAL, ADA whosoever is responsible for developing AMCA would show some urgency to finish the project in given time frame.

+ @Jayanta

And the 1983 start date is pure BS. This is simply the first time some one officially stated that India would like to build such a system. Work (and funds) didn't start until the mid '90s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am no historian...just follow what's written in net...may be wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Back
Top Bottom