What's new

Angry India tells US 'times have changed' after diplomat spat

US envoy asked to skip awards event after chief guest refuses to share stage - Financial Express

media awards event co-organised by a UN body had to suffer the consequences of the India-US diplomatic row over the alleged mistreatment of IFS officer Devyani Khobragade in New York as the chief guest refused to share the stage with US envoy Nancy Powell, forcing the organisers to ask Powell not to attend the ceremony.
Planning Commission Secretary Sindhushree Khullar was the chief guest and Powell was listed as special guest at the Laadli media awards for gender sensitivity, co-organised by the United Nations Population Fund and Population First.
However, Khullar is said to have informed the organisers she would not share the stage with Powell, causing the organisers to call Powell’s office and advise her to stay away.
Maintaining that the awards acknowledge efforts by the media to provide “gender-just” perspectives and analysis, one organiser said the presence of the US ambassador “would have gone against our cause”.
“Her presence would give a wrong signal, especially when we are talking of women’s empowerment on this platform, and our own woman has been ill treated by the US,” the organiser said.
Dr A L Sharada, director of Population First, said the US ambassador was asked to not attend “keeping in mind the present situation”.
“It is a very volatile situation and we did not want it to turn ugly. Her presence would have deflected all attention and we did not have the capacity to handle the massive media presence it would have led to,” Sharada said.
Khullar said she did not want to comment. “We need to turn the decibel (level) down,” she said.

Pointless. You can carry out the case and pronounce a judgement, but it will be un-enforceable.

Sangeeta Richard was happy with her job, says her daughter Jennifer - India - DNA

Sangeeta Richard, the housekeeper and nanny of India's deputy consul general in New York, Devyani Khobragade, had told her only daughter that she was very happy with her job and was being paid well.
Jennifer, the 20-year-old daughter of Sangeeta, 42, had shared the information a few months ago with one of her college mates living near her house in Sultanpur Colony in South Delhi.
"Jennifer had informed me that her mother was being paid a good salary and was very happy with the family she was working with. She was not treated like a domestic maid," Shalini, the college friend of Jennifer, told IANS.
Jennifer's statement is contrary to what her mother had said in her complaint to US authorities after she went absconding in June. She had said that she was underpaid and overworked.
Khobragade was charged with visa fraud and underpaying her nanny. She was arrested, handcuffed and made to go through strip and cavity search. India has voiced outrage over her humiliation and demanded an apology and that the case be taken back.
Shalini said that Jennifer and her brother Jatin Richard, 18, would talk to their mother on weekends.
"I and Jennifer had cast our votes in the Delhi elections on Dec 4, but she did not inform me that she was leaving Delhi. Jennifer along with her brother and father Philip Richard left their house suddenly. I don't know where they are now," Shalini told IANS.
Shalini's statement shows the suddenness with which the Richard family left for the US inspite of an FIR against them in Delhi. The family is now in New York.
The third floor two bedroom apartment in Sultanpur Colony, where Richard and her family were residing for the last few years, is now locked.
The address 45/S-1 is in a congested, working class neighbourhood, largely populated by low income families.
Sangeeta's neighbour, Dheeraj Bhardwaj, who resides on the fourth and topmost floor of 45/S-1, told IANS: "Sangeeta had left for US one year ago. Her husband was residing here with her two children."
"We are not very close to Sangeeta's family, but I know that she was working as a domestic help in some embassy here and her husband worked as driver in the Mozambique embassy. But, a year ago Sangeeta's husband was sacked from his job. In the meantime she got a job in the US and went there," Bhardwaj said.
Rajnish Singh can be contacted at rajnish.k@ians.in

logo.gif

India’s misplaced sense of national honour
By Aakar Patel
Published: December 21, 2013

648769-AakarPatelNew-1387644633-983-640x480.jpg

The writer is a columnist. He is also a former editor of the Mumbai-based English newspaper Mid Day and the Gujarati paper Divya Bhaskar aakar.patel@tribune.com.pk

India threw another national tantrum this week. It was in support of one of our daughters, adiplomat arrested in the United States for visa fraud. She took a servant along from India and employed her at a wage lower than the minimum in New York, but lied about it in the servant’s contract and visa application form.

The servant disappeared in America and the diplomat filed a case against her in India.

The US, probably to avoid their being victimised by India, smuggled the servant’s family out of the country before the diplomat was arrested.

Angry stories, mostly made up, were then published which claimed the diplomat was arrested in front of her children and handcuffed (both false). The man prosecuting the diplomat is Preet Bharara, with a formidable record and a near-100 per cent conviction rate. Our defence has been based on outrage, not innocence.

In India, Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid says he will not face parliament till he returns with the victimised girl (the officer, not the servant). We shall see. And Rahul Gandhi and Narendra Modi refused to meet or talk to visiting American leaders, in an act Indians know as doing katti.

More dangerously, the government removed safety barriers from outside American facilities. Presumably, they were there because a security threat was felt. If India is deliberately risking American lives in retaliation for an arrest, this is an act of great stupidity.

Former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Mayawati claimed the government’s already hysterical response wasn’t hysterical enough, because the diplomat was from the scheduled caste.

The Bharatiya Janata Party, always willing to make a bad situation worse, did not disappoint. Former finance minister Yashwant Sinha said India should apply its law criminalising homosexuality to gay Americans in India. Why are we so willing to damage ourselves in defence of national honour? It is difficult to understand this for those able to distance themselves from the passion.

By all accounts, the diplomat seems guilty of a crime. The Hindu said of the Indian government’s response that: “However, this narrative has avoided referencing the alleged visa fraud that the criminal complaint against Ms Khobragade (the arrested diplomat) details, including the claim that she effectively paid Ms Richard $3.31 an hour whereas the New York minimum wage is $7.25.

“Further it is economical in addressing the allegation by Mr Bharara’s team that under the contract she signed with Ms Richard (the servant) and submitted to the State Department to obtain an A-3 ‘domestic worker visa’, she had promised the equivalent of $9.75.” This, of course, the diplomat did not intend to pay and did not, in fact, pay.

Writing for Hindustan Times, former foreign secretary Kanwal Sibal said the Americans should have continued to let Indians abuse the law: “There is much chicanery involved here. Indian diplomats taking domestic staff to the US accept the minimum wage requirement when all concerned, including the US visa services and the State Department, know this is done pro-forma to have the paper work in order. To imagine that the US authorities are duped into believing that our diplomats will pay their domestic staff more than what they earn is absurd. The US authorities have been clearing such visas for years to practically resolve the contradiction between reality and the letter of the law.”

Is the poor pay of Indians and their insistence on having servants the problem of Americans? Why should any nation allow its laws to be violated by India?

There were, of course, saner voices in the media, particularly The Indian Express, which pointed to our hypocrisy: “Recall from the other side of the fence how unacceptable it is for Indians to countenance Italian requests for exceptional treatment of their marines while facing a murder trial. Contrast that with the absolute abandonment of sobriety, reason and responsibility in reacting to charges against Khobragade of visa fraud. To allow American pursuit of the rule of law on their territory to spiral into a diplomatic stand-off speaks very poorly of India’s foreign service and the politicians and officials in Delhi happy to play into notions of outraged national honour.”

Published in The Express Tribune, December 22nd, 2013.

Like Opinion & Editorial on Facebook, follow @ETOpEd on Twitter to receive all updates on all our daily pieces.

Diplomat arrest: US should apologise, says Indian-American lawmaker
December 18, 2013 10:38 IST

Indian-American Congressman Dr Amerish Bera feels that an apology will help India and the United States work through any misunderstandings. Rediff.com's Aziz Haniffa reports from Washington, DC.
18bera.jpg
United States Congressman Dr Amerish 'Ami' Bera, the only Indian-American lawmaker in the US Congress, described the arrest of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade as "unfortunate" and said, "If there are apologies that should be made, we should make these apologies."
Dr Khobragade, India's Deputy Consul General in New York, was arrested last week, handcuffed and strip-searched before being released on a $250,000 bond after pleading not guilty to visa fraud charges.
In an interview to Rediff.com, Dr Bera, the only Indian-American physician ever elected to the US House of Representatives, said "It is unfortunate because there has been so much progress and this has been such a good year in the US-India relationship with our friendship and the countries growing ever more closer together and planning for a future together."
"I still hope that our diplomats -- at our end -- and the Indian diplomats are able to absorb this and move forward, and smoothen things over as quickly as possible, and rectify this if there was an injustice done," Dr Bera said.
He reiterated that "Our countries are very close countries, and so, we should work through this as quickly as possible."
Asked if the US should offer a formal, unqualified, apology for the way Dr Khobragade was humiliated while being arrested, particularly since she was a diplomat, Dr Bera was more circumspect, saying, "I don't know the details of what has happened, and that is probably questions for New York US Attorney, Preet (Bharara)."
"But if there were mistakes made, then obviously apologising helps us move forward and work through any misunderstandings and that's a good thing," he added.
Asked if he would take any initiative as an Indian-American lawmaker and a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, including the Subcommittee on Asian and Pacific Affairs that has jurisdiction over matters pertaining to South Asia to address the situation in terms of a Congressional intervention, Dr Bera said he was still "gathering information" on the situation.

Regret not enough, US must apologise: Experts on Devyani arrest - Rediff.com India News

A former senior official in the former United States President Bill Clinton’s administration has said that ‘regret’ just does not cut it and that the US is obligated to issue a full-throated unqualified apology for the way India’s Deputy Consul General in New York Devyani Khobragade was treated by law enforcement authorities.
Karl ‘Rick’ Inderfurth, erstwhile assistant secretary of state for South Asian affairs in the Clinton administration, told rediff.com, “The incident involving India’s deputy consul general was outrageous, deplorable and inexcusable. Period. Full stop.”

Last edited:
"Angry India tells US 'times have changed' after diplomat spat"

The US tells angry India to change with time.

You're problem is a lack of pragmatism. The maid will be sacrificed in the altar of national interests. And an IFS officer with 10 years of experience will necessarily have come across many sensitive areas. That's their job irresepective of their designations. If you're trying to deny it, that's coz you're stupid and you don't know how the system works. Since I know many ppl working there, I know how it does.

:lol: - anyways please take up your discussions backed by your infinite wisdom with someone of your caliber. Adios.

indians in america should go back to india , they are anyway stealing american jobs

The lady is to be blamed but still such actions are reprehensible, they took such an extreme action.

I know being a green flag holder you just an opportunity...but know whats going on before giving out judgement. Dunno about Devyani Khobragade, she may be corrupt, rude etc. but in this case the maid doesn't look innocent either.... Sangeeta and her family are now US residents. She managed to achieve this feat faster than a HB1 passport holder. Her parents have been working as helps with Diplomats for more than 2 decades and she knows the system in and out.

She might have been misbehaved (speculative) but that is not the complaint. The complaint is of false documentation and underpaying. As the contract of employment was by 2 Indian nationals, signed in India for working in the premises of Indian Embassy/Consulate..I do not think there is any merit on underpayment issue. The Indian Embassy premises are govern by the Indian laws and not American and hence the pay is to be scrutinized by GoI.

The fact that Sangeeta ran away 6 months back, and met a Immigration lawyer also raises a question. Secondly, the way her family got US visa is doubtful... for rest of the information...

Devyani Khobragade case: US arrogance or misplaced nationalism? Video: NDTV.com

"Angry India tells US 'times have changed' after diplomat spat"

The US tells angry India to change with time.

Devyani Khobragade case: US arrogance or misplaced nationalism? Video: NDTV.com

We are definitely not as retarded as US authorities who made Raymond Davis eligible for Diplomatic immunity when his name was not even figured ...in the consular members list ...

Do you agree ( based on your statements ) that those US authorities which claimed diplomatic immunity for Raymond Davis are actually retards of first degree ...???

I can't believe Indian's are so dumb. Every country tries to defuse by wrongly claiming their nationals have Diplomatic Immunity. In the Raymond Davis case the US tried to pass of diplomatic immunity but the Pakistani Court struck it down. Diplomacy found a rule in Shariah YES SHARIAH that if you paid blood money then the family will forgive him. That is what happened.

Many Indian's forgot that 10 Indian's were released in Dubai after paying blood money for killing a Pakistani.

That woman is scum please don't defend her.

And you think diplomats with decades of experience won't know when to posture and when not to. some troll like you knows better. BTW the inside news is that the US has decided to give full immunity. In this poker game, we knew our hand quite well.

The problem with you is you in your life never said anything consequential or thought provoking. You come here typing away like a monkey. You have no idea what the world is like or what the hell you are talking about. And you call me a troll?

I was here on this forum at about the same time (mar) as you (Feb) did, I got 15- and 5+, and what do you get 1+ and 1-.

At least I put some thoughts into what I said and caused the mods to notice whether they agreed with me or not. And you are just a dead snake.

I am done with you. I received a private message from the Webmaster to not feed the troll (One of your countrymen with initials g.k. got suspended as a result). I shall listen to his advice.

If she make minimum, her pre tax take home month pay should be $1386.68, which should work out to be 85,973 in rupee per month to legally work in the US. This is the minimum wage of 8$ per hour. Now, how is that a lot of money. If she cannot even pay $1386 per month to hire the maid, then the diplomat do not deserve to have the maid.

You are wrong, the minimum in NYC is still $7.25 until December 31. That means she was being paid $4130 something per month for being a freaking maid lol, about what it says on the document.

You are wrong, the minimum in NYC is still $7.25 until December 31. That means she was being paid $4130 something per month for being a freaking maid lol, about what it says on the document.

Where did you get $4130?

indians in america should go back to india , they are anyway stealing american jobs

Actually, they are just spies within.

The problem with you is you in your life never said anything consequential or thought provoking. You come here typing away like a monkey. You have no idea what the world is like or what the hell you are talking about. And you call me a troll?

I was here on this forum at about the same time (mar) as you (Feb) did, I got 15- and 5+, and what do you get 1+ and 1-.

At least I put some thoughts into what I said and caused the mods to notice whether they agreed with me or not. And you are just a dead snake.

I am done with you. I received a private message from the Webmaster to not feed the troll (One of your countrymen with initials g.k. got suspended as a result). I shall listen to his advice.

You think I'm an armchair poster troll? '15- and 15+', guess this must be an important part of your life if it' that consequential. What I write is more important than your rambling coz I know more about it thN YOU DO.

Diplomat? Lol....she is a deputy consul. They don't do any "negotiating. Are you people really so retarded you don't know the diff between an ambassador and a deputy consul?

hey retartded clown. The idea that senor IFS officer has access to info out of her brief is very valid. In any case the case is closed. You can keep jumping up and down on stuff that's no longer valid.

I wonder if Dominos pizza tastes the same in India as it does in America? :pleasantry:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom