What's new

Australian F-111 Belly Landing

What's that pole sticking out the back? The F 111 doesn't land on aircraft carriers does it?

Or is it the same as the F-16, wire catching on a runway in case of a some malfunction in braking?

What's that pole sticking out the back? The F 111 doesn't land on aircraft carriers does it?

Or is it the same as the F-16, wire catching on a runway in case of a some malfunction in braking?

And that's what helped the F 111 to grind to a halt.
I wonder during such emergencies, why the jets aren't made to land on the grassy part, at least there'l be no sparks flying.

Australian F-111 might not designed to land on carrier but a few US F-111 were operated from carrier long ago ...

f111bjuly1968.jpg

carrier.jpg

300px-F-111B_CVA-43_approach_July1968.jpg

And that's what helped the F 111 to grind to a halt.
I wonder during such emergencies, why the jets aren't made to land on the grassy part, at least there'l be no sparks flying.

Maybe because there would be a danger that the aircraft would somersault, the nose or any leading part might dig into the ground and act as a pivot.

The -111 was originally designed for the Navy as well, ergo: Tail hook.

And yes, it is preferable to belly land on firmer surface than grass. These areas are usually not as even as the runway or parking ramps.

Why was no fire resistant foam laid out ?

The thing that saved the pilots in this case appears to be the position of the engines of F-111.

If I had to force land a fighter, I personally would prefer to ditch it in shallow waters of a river if one was nearby or sea. However, in this case the pilots and their superiors wanted to save the fighter airplane even at the risk of fire, so they opted not to eject.

Fighters are not the ideal plane to belly land, especially if they have a lot of fuel on board.

There was a commercial jet which did a belly landing, and I was reading the in the accident report and on the forums about this. The reasons told there was that if foam was laid out then there was a greater risk of the plane losing all the control and slipping and conseuqently getting off the runway and into the apron/taxiway etc, like a person getting wibbly wobbly on a soap bar!

There was a commercial jet which did a belly landing, and I was reading the in the accident report and on the forums about this. The reasons told there was that if foam was laid out then there was a greater risk of the plane losing all the control and slipping and conseuqently getting off the runway and into the apron/taxiway etc, like a person getting wibbly wobbly on a soap bar!

That is true but the foam reduces the chances of fire started by sparks. In a passenger plane most passengers die from fire and smoke inhalation in such cases.

Talking of F 111, once the Gold Coast was the place to enjoy the fireworks.

Last edited by a moderator:

The thing that saved the pilots in this case appears to be the position of the engines of F-111.

If I had to force land a fighter, I personally would prefer to ditch it in shallow waters of a river if one was nearby or sea. However, in this case the pilots and their superiors wanted to save the fighter airplane even at the risk of fire, so they opted not to eject.

Fighters are not the ideal plane to belly land, especially if they have a lot of fuel on board.
Ejection is always the last resort and usually because the aircraft is no longer under control. In this situation, the aircraft was under total control, even to final approach. Risk of fire is always there but greater if there is a fuel tank rupture.

Back
Top Bottom