Bangladesh Navy

Interview: Vice-Admiral Zahir Uddin Ahmed, Chief of the Bangladesh Navy

Author:
Guy Toremans, Brussels

INTERVIEW
Bangladesh

Last posted:
2012-Dec-12

Vice-Admiral Zahir Uddin Ahmed, Chief of Staff of the Bangladesh Navy. (G Toremans) With the growing complexity of maritime scenarios calling for flexibility, the Bangladesh Navy (BN) is modernising its fleet and at the same time developing a sustainable local shipbuilding capability.

"To effectively meet the growing challenges we need a three-dimensional naval force capable to support fleet, area, combined and joint operations," Vice Admiral Zahir Uddin Ahmed, Chief of Staff of the Bangladesh Navy, stated.

"Consequently we are engaged in purchasing a variety of both new and off-the-shelf vessels from friendly navies - mainly frigate- and corvette-type platforms, helicopters and maritime patrol aircraft - and plan the establishment of a submarine branch.

"When I took the helm of the Bangladesh Navy [in January 2009] my highest priority was the upgrade of our ageing assets," said the admiral, pointing out that over the past three-and-a-half years some degree of progress has already been made.

"The first phase of our recapitalisation efforts was the acquisition of the two ex-Royal Navy [RN] Castle-class offshore patrol vessels," he said. Transferred on 24 September 2011, both ships were re-commissioned into the BN at the end of November 2011

"We also purchased the ex-RN survey ship HMS Roebuck ," the admiral added. "This ship arrived in Bangladesh on 25 July 2010, while in April 2010 the United States donated 16 Defender-class boats, which bolster our counter-terrorism and maritime interdiction capabilities."

Looking to the most recent additions to the fleet, Adm Ahmed said: "The first of two large patrol craft from China under construction at Wuchang Shipyard, launched on 26 August 2012, is scheduled for delivery in late 2012; the second unit will be launched at the end of 2012 as well. The first of five new 50.4 m patrol craft - the first ever indigenously built warship - was launched at the Khulna Shipyard (KSY) on 8 October 2012. We already decommissioned one of our two ex-Royal Navy Type 41 (Leopard-class) frigates and the second will be phased out shortly. Both will be replaced by off-the-shelf units.

"In September 2012 we signed a contract with the Chinese Navy for the transfer of two Jianghu-class frigates, which are expected to be delivered in mid-2013," he continued. "The Type 61 (Salisbury-class) frigate BNS Umar Farooq will be transformed into a training ship. She will be re-engined and her accommodation upgraded in order to keep her in service for another 15 years."

Detailing further planned acquisitions over the medium term, Adm Ahmed said that a contract for the construction of two corvettes has already been signed with South Korea. "These platforms are scheduled to join the fleet in the first quarter of 2016," he confirmed.

Reports also suggest that Bangladesh may receive two modern F-22B frigates from China, which would be based on the Type 053H3 (Jiangwei) class.

The BN's most ambitious project is undoubtedly the establishment of a submarine branch. Adm Ahmed said that he hopes to have this up and running by 2020, but added: "I am well aware of the challenges inherent in commissioning and supporting infrastructure of an entirely new capability. Back in 2010 we started negotiations with the German Navy and government to acquire the Type 206 boats, but this didn't materialise. We've had talks with the Italian Navy about the possible acquisition of their Improved Sauro-class boats, which the Italian Navy plans to decommission by 2016."

Recent years have also seen a push to develop Bangladesh's indigenous shipbuilding sector. "We took over management of the country's two major shipyards, the Khulna and Narayangonj shipyards, and our naval engineers and technicians have gained the expertise to upgrade our units and weapon systems in-country," said Adm Ahmed. "The technical expertise they've gained has helped us start building our first ever modern naval patrol craft and soon they will gain the capacity and expertise to build larger vessels."

The admiral expects that the BN will be capable of building corvette- and frigate-type warships indigenously by 2020, but was keen to point out that the service is also looking to improve the welfare and training of its personnel. "The infrastructure - training establishments, simulators, and other buildings - is being modernised as well," he said, adding that the navy has no problems with recruitment. "The military is a good employer and young people are quite interested in joining the armed forces," he said. "Serving in the navy is a very viable option for our youngsters. Over the past three-and-a-half years the recruitment of officers, petty officers and ratings has almost doubled."

One of the admiral's other goals when he took command was to help improve relations with Bangladesh's neighbours over access to seabed minerals. "You may recall the dispute about oil exploration rights in 2008 with Myanmar," he said. "Consequently we support our Ministry of Foreign Affairs by assigning naval officers as naval attachés to the embassies involved."

Bangladesh's new government, which was elected at the end of 2008, is very supportive towards the modernisation of the navy's fleet to maintain its capability to comply with its national commitments and facilitate interoperability with friendly navies.

Adm Ahmed is conscious of this fact. "Initially it was not that [easy] to start this modernisation programme and quite difficult to convince the people of Bangladesh that their money is being well spent on the much-needed modernising of their navy, [but] the government approved a 10-year plan and recently has approved the budget for the next five-year plan through to 2017. I can say that we are ahead of the 10-year plan because our government is so supportive."

Looking ahead, Adm Ahmed said that, when handing over the helm of the BN in January 2013, he will be a happy man. "I know the navy is well on course to become a truly three-dimensional force," he said. "Flexibility will remain a driving factor for our ongoing innovation process, yet we must take into consideration the global financial crisis, which will certainly influence decisions regarding the further projects. But I am sure the Bangladesh Navy will remain available, adaptive, and affordable."

Did this publish anywhere or this is just your brain child? :cheers:

2 Type 053H2 Jianghu-III frigates have arrived in BD, after refitting with 76mm H/PJ26 dual purpose gun, 2x Type 730B CIWS, 1×8 FM-90N/FL-3000N SAM launcher, 2×4 C-803 SSM launchers, 2× 3 torpedo launchers, 2×6 asw anti-submarine rockets these frigates will be commissioned.

1017297_593269937380659_1027608634_n.jpg

2 Type 053H2 Jianghu-III frigates have arrived in BD, after refitting with 76mm H/PJ26 dual purpose gun, 2x Type 730B CIWS, 1×8 FM-90N/FL-3000N SAM launcher, 2×4 C-803 SSM launchers, 2× 3 torpedo launchers, 2×6 asw anti-submarine rockets these frigates will be commissioned.

Is it really true? Got any link to prove it? I obviously believe you but that annoying scrutinizer Mr. Basher kella will go completely mad at you for this. :P

well you will find it in internet, anyway these armaments are similar to BNS BB :)

You didn't get me. I know about the armaments dude. I was asking how do you know they have already arrived. Some skeptics are going to make your life a living hell for this you know.

You didn't get me. I know about the armaments dude. I was asking how do you know they have already arrived. Some skeptics are going to make your life a living hell for this you know.

some one i know told me he saw it yesterday and i posted the photo , check yourself if you find it this picture available on internet before 2 days (btw serial number 536 that is one the of the ships we have bought from china) ;)

does anyone know if those two South korean Corvettes,according to AMI Internetional,are actually coming or is it just on the drawing board like the f-22b?

When are they coming? And any pictures or drawing of them?

By 2016. No pictures or drawing, our armed forces tries hard to keep things secret :disagree: It is believed that those are will be scaled down version of FFX frigate :)

Is it really true? Got any link to prove it? I obviously believe you but that annoying scrutinizer Mr. Basher kella will go completely mad at you for this. :P

Yes, they have arrived in BD without the local & International media acknowledgement. Even without the acknowledgement of the PM or any other minister or political parties. And the only person who the captain cared to inform is BANGLAR BAGH.

Back
Top Bottom