Bangladesh's Fuchka listed among best street foods of Asia

FOOD

TBS Report
29 August, 2022, 11:05 pm
Last modified: 29 August, 2022, 11:09 pm

Fuchka Bahar
Fuchka Bahar

Fuchka Bahar

Fuchka, the mouth-watering delicacy that reigns the streets of Bangladesh, has earned its place among the best street foods in Asia.

In a CNN report published recently, the Bangladeshi-version of what is known as Pani Puri, Gol Gappa, Gup Chup, among other monikers in the Indian subcontinent, has been listed as the sole from Bangladesh.

A little bit sweet, a little sour, a little spicy, fuchka is one of the most ubiquitous street foods in Bangladesh.

The crispy, hollow spheres commonly come with a filling of mashed potatoes and chickpeas, mixed with freshly chopped onions, cucumber, lime, coriander and green chillies in a chaat masala blend.

Before serving, vendors often grate boiled eggs on top as a garnish. Usually, you'll also receive a small cup of tamarind water sauce to pour inside the shells to enhance that sweet, tangy and spicy flavour that tantalises all of your taste buds.

Other street foods featured in the list include Bun Kebab and Falooda (Pakistan), Asam Laksa (Malaysia), Jalebi (India), Khao Soi (Thailand), Kimbap (South Korea), Momos (Nepal), and so on.

FOOD

TBS Report

Fuchka Bahar
Fuchka Bahar

Fuchka Bahar

Fuchka, the mouth-watering delicacy that reigns the streets of Bangladesh, has earned its place among the best street foods in Asia.

In a CNN report published recently, the Bangladeshi-version of what is known as Pani Puri, Gol Gappa, Gup Chup, among other monikers in the Indian subcontinent, has been listed as the sole from Bangladesh.

A little bit sweet, a little sour, a little spicy, fuchka is one of the most ubiquitous street foods in Bangladesh.

The crispy, hollow spheres commonly come with a filling of mashed potatoes and chickpeas, mixed with freshly chopped onions, cucumber, lime, coriander and green chillies in a chaat masala blend.

Before serving, vendors often grate boiled eggs on top as a garnish. Usually, you'll also receive a small cup of tamarind water sauce to pour inside the shells to enhance that sweet, tangy and spicy flavour that tantalises all of your taste buds.

Other street foods featured in the list include Bun Kebab and Falooda (Pakistan), Asam Laksa (Malaysia), Jalebi (India), Khao Soi (Thailand), Kimbap (South Korea), Momos (Nepal), and so on.

we call them Goll Gappay in Pakistan

Yeah, Gol Gappa it is, twist it whatever way you want.
I eat it similar way with almost identical ingridents usually, termed as gol gappa.

Now, our great Hasina Bibi should make herself busy with Fuchka diplomacy. She should send tons of Dhakaiya Fuchka to all heads of State and governments of the world.

This is how those countries will find BD on the map and will know how developed BD is with borrowed money.

we call them gol gappa, best street food along with kathi rolls and momos.

Don't know Hindu or Muslim, but it is a Bengali term. Bangaldeshi bros should share the accolades with Indian Bengalis 🤣 and not hog it all themselves.
BTW correct spelling is Phuchka. 'P' with an 'H', but not the 'F' sound

Care not about the spelling. Rather endeavour to come to Dhaka and consume it here the authentic ones. Anybody will get addicted I promise. After 21 years in Australia, every year when I visit BD, I eat it almost daily.

Care not about the spelling. Rather endeavour to come to Dhaka and consume it here the authentic ones. Anybody will get addicted I promise. After 21 years in Australia, every year when I visit BD, I eat it almost daily.
I am somewhat of a self proclaimed PhD on Phuchkas. There are distinct varieties depending on what the shell is made of, how thick it is, what the accompaniments are, and the composition of the water.

1. What the shell is made of
    1. Aata
    2. Semolina :suicide:
  2. What the filling is made of:
    1. Potatoes (bengal)
    2. Mushy white peas (Bhaiyas)
    3. Black gram (bengal)
    4. Green Moong daal (North India)
    5. A mixture of the above (Mumbai)
  3. What the water is made of
    1. Coriander, mint, green chillies, black salt etc (most sane places)
    2. Mud & shit (home chefs)
Delhi Punjabis eat an abomination made of semolina.
Sindhis have invented a very thin shell which sometimes breaks while in the process of carrying to your mouth. Idiots.

While I am liberal and try to give my love to all varieties, the Calcutta variety wins. So I am assuming BD is great too.

FOOD

TBS Report

Fuchka Bahar
Fuchka Bahar

Fuchka Bahar

Puchka originated from Magadha region of India, present day South Bihar where it is also known as phoolki. Phoolki has its reference in dishes of sixteen mahajanapada of ancient India.

I am somewhat of a self proclaimed PhD on Phuchkas. There are distinct varieties depending on what the shell is made of, how thick it is, what the accompaniments are, and the composition of the water.

1. What the shell is made of
    1. Aata
    2. Semolina :suicide:
  2. What the filling is made of:
    1. Potatoes (bengal)
    2. Mushy white peas (Bhaiyas)
    3. Black gram (bengal)
    4. Green Moong daal (North India)
    5. A mixture of the above (Mumbai)
  3. What the water is made of
    1. Coriander, mint, green chillies, black salt etc (most sane places)
    2. Mud & shit (home chefs)
Delhi Punjabis eat an abomination made of semolina.
Sindhis have invented a very thin shell which sometimes breaks while in the process of carrying to your mouth. Idiots.

While I am liberal and try to give my love to all varieties, the Calcutta variety wins. So I am assuming BD is great too.
Looks like someone has bothered to do some investigation instead of proclaiming "they are aaaall the same..."
I have tried both North Indian and Pakistani pani puris. Bengali Fuchka clearly stands out due to distinct ingredients - ours is overloaded with chopped green chillies and onions unlike anywhere else. Another distinction worth noting is unlike in some other places, Bengalis typically do not drench the Fuchka in Tamarind sauce and in the process drown out all the flavour with the overbearing tanginess - the sauce is rather used as a condiment.

Looks like someone has bothered to do some investigation instead of proclaiming "they are aaaall the same..."
I have tried both North Indian and Pakistani pani puris. Bengali Fuchka clearly stands out due to distinct ingredients - ours is overloaded with chopped green chillies and onions unlike anywhere else. Another distinction worth noting is unlike in some other places, Bengalis typically do not drench the Fuchka in Tamarind sauce and in the process drown out all the flavour with the overbearing tanginess - the sauce is rather used as a condiment.
Yes, you are right. How can India and Pakistan beat our Fuchka? Let them come to our Old Dhaka, learn how to cook real Fuchka and their govts will decorate them with the Best Cook title.

Back
Top Bottom