What's new

Book Review - THE INDIA DOCTRINE (1947-2007)

After the BDR mutiny I doubt that many in BD would believe that comment.

The “India Factor” in Indo-Bangladesh Relations

Taj Hashmi

Professor, APCSS, Honolulu, USA

One wonders as to why Sheikh Hasina and the admirers of her latest “gesture of good will” towards India are not cognizant of the “India Doctrine” at all. Cultivated assiduously by most Indian leaders from Nehru to Manmohan Singh (V.P. Singh and I.K.Gujral were possibly the only exceptions in this regard), this doctrine stands for two things: a) establishing Vrihat Bharat (Greater India) with a view to asserting Indian hegemony in the Indian Ocean and b) to extract maximum economic benefits and political leverage from smaller neighbours by intimidating them on a regular basis. As the act of not recalling Nehru’s not-so-hidden desire to undo the Partition of 1947 is a political blunder, particularly for Pakistan Bangladesh; so is forgetting about India’s annexation of Kashmir (1947), Hyderabad (1948), Goa (1961) and even independent Sikkim (1975).

FULL ARTICLE –

DeshCalling: The ?India Factor? in Indo-Bangladesh Relations*

The “India Factor” in Indo-Bangladesh Relations

Taj Hashmi

Professor, APCSS, Honolulu, USA

One wonders as to why Sheikh Hasina and the admirers of her latest “gesture of good will” towards India are not cognizant of the “India Doctrine” at all. Cultivated assiduously by most Indian leaders from Nehru to Manmohan Singh (V.P. Singh and I.K.Gujral were possibly the only exceptions in this regard), this doctrine stands for two things: a) establishing Vrihat Bharat (Greater India) with a view to asserting Indian hegemony in the Indian Ocean and b) to extract maximum economic benefits and political leverage from smaller neighbours by intimidating them on a regular basis. As the act of not recalling Nehru’s not-so-hidden desire to undo the Partition of 1947 is a political blunder, particularly for Pakistan Bangladesh; so is forgetting about India’s annexation of Kashmir (1947), Hyderabad (1948), Goa (1961) and even independent Sikkim (1975).

FULL ARTICLE –

DeshCalling: The ?India Factor? in Indo-Bangladesh Relations*

Mr.Munshi : This definitely would have been good reading and i agree with some of his musings like "not putting all eggs in one basket", but.. he ruins it all by coming out as a polarized person to me...had it not been for some unexplained/biased racist comments by him... Just made author's views biased. For Example, here are snippets from his article http://opinion.bdnews24.com/2010/01/22/the-‘india-factor’-in-indo-bangladesh-relations/:

.....Muslim-majority Bangladesh has more to lose than gain by coming too close for comfort to India; and to Israel via India.

.....Bangladesh is oblivious of the fact that India, by strictly adhering to Chanakya’s advice

Most interesting is that he is a professsor at APCSS which is run by the Pentagon and the DIA.

Most interesting is that he is a professsor at APCSS which is run by the Pentagon and the DIA.

No denying his credentials. And as i said i agree with few of his points. But he could have avoided a one sided india bashing to make it really unbiased reading, not to mention the implied racism put me off.

None the less, few valid arguments do deserve credit.

I think i'm posting a bit late , never checked this thread before. better late than never, congratulations Mr Munshi . It's a really big thing to have a book under one's name. Although i can guess that the book would contain lots of anti India comments, i'll still love to read it.

Why use this forum to promote your book ? Hope you share your revenues with them.

Actually I don't share my royalties with PDF which I think is an excellent arrangement. I think this an excellent forum to promote my book.

Actually I don't share my royalties with PDF which I think is an excellent arrangement. I think this an excellent forum to promote my book.

a bit personal question but can you share how many books you sold till date?:what:

Out of 3000 books printed I have sold 2000 so far and sent out 500 complimentary copies.

I really doubt of any arrangement from PDF however I think it may be undue advantage for promotion.

I really doubt of any arrangement from PDF however I think it may be undue advantage for promotion.

Since the moderators have no objection and as they made this thread a sticky I doubt this arrangement could strictly be described as undue promotion.

Back
Top Bottom