What's new

Briton injured in 26/11 attacks in Mumbai wins right to sue Taj hotel

he-man

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
A British man paralysed during the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks on Thursday won his claim to sue the owners of Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in a British court of law.

Tata Group firm Indian Hotel Company Limited had argued that Will Pike's negligence claim should be heard in India but a High Court judge here accepted his argument that taking the case through Indian courts could run into years.

"In summary, my estimation is that the time this case would take to reach the probable end stage in India is some 20 years...I am persuaded that it is clearly the case that England is the appropriate forum for the trial of this action," Justice Stewart said in his ruling at the Royal Courts of Justice.

The Indian Hotel Company was given the right to appeal against the ruling and the case will now go to the Court of Appeal for a final decision.

Pike, a 33-year-old London-based freelance filmmaker, said, "I'm very relieved about the judgement. For one thing, it means that justice will be allowed to take its course – if the trial were to take place in India, it simply wouldn't have happened.

"So now, regardless of the outcome, at least I'll know whether the hotel could have done more to ensure my safety, as well as everybody else's in the building." Pike was seriously injured when he jumped out of a window of the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel after it was stormed by some of the 10 Lashkar-e-Taiba militants who carried out the attacks in Mumbai in November 2008. The attacks killed 166 people and left hundreds injured.

The Briton, who underwent several surgeries, has claimed that the hotel failed to protect its guests despite being warned about possible attacks. At the time, he was holidaying in India with his former girlfriend.

Briton injured in 26/11 attacks in Mumbai wins right to sue Taj hotel - India - DNA

now this has to be the biggest joke that i have heard in years!!

i know
imagine families of 9/11 victims doing the same in USA??!!

THIS IS TOTALLY BULLSHIT AND A WASTE OF TIME

Oh many did and they won! That is why i said, compensation culture is a bad thing.

Oh many did and they won! That is why i said, compensation culture is a bad thing.
dammit,this is fucked up!!
at least it is rare in our part of the world,but who knows it may gain traction here too

by the way what sort of man is shahbaz sharif??
he was here for kabaddi world cup,appeared to be a smooth talker

by the way what sort of man is shahbaz sharif??
he was here for kabaddi world cup,appeared to be a smooth talker
^ That is Shabaz Shariff's theme song! Does that help answer your question :)

I do not think England court will have jurisdiction in India. While he can win faster but he will get nothing out of it. Now I think there should be generic law on compensation in India, it should be clear not subjective. I agree government should compensate. Government compensation is like taking money out of common pool to help people who suffered. India does not really have good working courts.

I do not think England court will have jurisdiction in India. While he can win faster but he will get nothing out of it. Now I think there should be generic law on compensation in India, it should be clear not subjective. I agree government should compensate. Government compensation is like taking money out of common pool to help people who suffered. India does not really have good working courts.

india has no courts u can say based on number of years a case drags in courts.
it takes a minimum of10-20 years average for any non-rape case

Should all Indians and Pakistanis, Sri Lankans and Bangladeshis go after UK for causing immense grief , stealing, conversion by force, slavery and apartheid that scarred the sub-continent for over 60 years? If we ask for compensation and if we win, Ye Goron ke (UK) kachche bhi unko bhejne padenge !!!

do british courts have jurisdiction over an event that happened in India?

Post 26/11 the security in star hotels have been improved significantly..... some of them have the screening equivalent to air port screening.... But Blaming Taj for such an attack???? I dono...

Why is this guy suing the hotel? Did anyone sue the London Tube for being injured in the London bombings?

He is not going to get anything out of this.

Back
Top Bottom