What's new

Burgers, fries and robots: McDonald’s opens 1st mostly automated location in Texas

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States

Robots are now handing out Big Macs at a McDonald’s restaurant in Texas.

Amid the fast food giants’ growing desire to automate their processes, McDonald’s’ first predominantly robot-run restaurant is currently being tested in Fort Worth, Texas.

There are no human cashiers in this place. Even the restaurant itself is smaller and lacks seating dedicated to serving customers rather than sit-down eateries.

At the entrance, digital checkouts take orders from customers, while robots push food along conveyor belts in designated areas.

Customers can place an order through a car service, the company’s mobile app, or in-store touch-screen kiosks.

A McDonald’s spokesperson told The Guardian that while the new store is high-tech, it is “not fully automated”. The restaurant is still staffed, although the interaction between customers and employees is very limited.

The spokesperson stated that “improved technology” allows the “restaurant team to start preparing customer orders when they are near the restaurant.” This is ideal for McDonald’s orders that are picked up by couriers, or for customers who have ordered via a mobile app.

Robots are now handing out Big Macs at a McDonald’s restaurant in Texas.

Amid the fast food giants’ growing desire to automate their processes, McDonald’s’ first predominantly robot-run restaurant is currently being tested in Fort Worth, Texas.

There are no human cashiers in this place. Even the restaurant itself is smaller and lacks seating dedicated to serving customers rather than sit-down eateries.

At the entrance, digital checkouts take orders from customers, while robots push food along conveyor belts in designated areas.

Customers can place an order through a car service, the company’s mobile app, or in-store touch-screen kiosks.

A McDonald’s spokesperson told The Guardian that while the new store is high-tech, it is “not fully automated”. The restaurant is still staffed, although the interaction between customers and employees is very limited.

The spokesperson stated that “improved technology” allows the “restaurant team to start preparing customer orders when they are near the restaurant.” This is ideal for McDonald’s orders that are picked up by couriers, or for customers who have ordered via a mobile app.

I guess you dont have to tip them !!! One advantage .. but i am not sure this is a step in the right direction.. people need jobs - etc.

( As a brit - the whole concept of "waiting staff" not being paid a living wage and being expected to earn a living off tips is alien and obscene to me ... ).

I guess you dont have to tip them !!! One advantage .. but i am not sure this is a step in the right direction.. people need jobs - etc.

McDonalds in the US is mostly a fast-food restaurant so there is not any "wait staff" to tip. You basically order at a counter and carry the food to the table instead of relying on waiters. So nothing is changing in regards to that.

( As a brit - the whole concept of "waiting staff" not being paid a living wage and being expected to earn a living off tips is alien and obscene to me ... ).

Depends upon the restaurant. My sister while in college was a waitress and would make $300/hr from tips. It's a great job for college students. I'm sure they'd more eagerly smile at customers and treat them like royalty for hundreds an hour rather than do it for a measely $20/hr.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom