What's new

Can India beat China ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hafizzz

Reaction score
Can India Leapfrog China?
Can India Leapfrog China? - NYTimes.com

DAVOS, Switzerland — India is trying hard not to be forgotten at the World Economic Forum amid the China-focus. The country has brought the single biggest delegation to Davos and ads for its “Inclusive Growth” slogan could be seen not just in the conference center but on public buses in Davos.

Indian executives here prided themselves on the things that set their country apart from its biggest rival among emerging markets, China: democracy, a reliable legal framework for investors, a widespread command of English, a young population due to overtake China’s by 2030, and of course its famed information technology sector.

But there was also an acute sense of envy of China’s superior infrastructure, Beijing’s capacity to map out long-term economic development unbound by election deadlines and the country’s comparatively high literacy rates, particularly among women.

Despite a 1.1 billion-strong population, India is facing talent shortages — and not just at the very top. “We’re running out of electricians and plumbers because our education system is not keeping pace,” said Raghuram Rajan of the University of Chicago.

Ingrid Srinath Narasimhan, the secretary general of the nongovernmental organization Civicus, warned that despite the government’s pledges to the contrary, growth in India had not been inclusive. Child malnutrition had barely improved over the past two decades, she said, and caste politics still excluded millions of people from real opportunity. While most children now enrolled in schools, 65 percent drop out and only 12 percent go to college. “If you are in the bottom third, life is universally worse than 20 years ago,” Ms. Srinath Narasimhan said.

With its I.T. sector unable to accommodate hundreds of millions of prospective employees, India is trying to expand its manufacturing sector to absorb more labor.

But at least some here hope that India can skip at least some of China’s factory-of-the-world strategy. “Could you leapfrog manufacturing?” Mr. Rajan asked. “Can education be the passport to a service economy?”

As Indian business leaders mused about the importance of becoming more competitive, one American chief executive felt almost at home, especially after President Barack Obama stressed the same theme in his State of the Union address. “I thought for a moment I was in the United States,” said Harold McGraw, head of the McGraw-Hill Companies.

India won't be able to leapfrog China in the near future but anything is
possible....

India: bad for business?
India: bad for business? | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times ? FT.com

It’s no secret that doing business in India can be onerous, right from the simplest task of securing a visa to getting regulatory approval for land acquisition. Even government ministers speak of the burden of red tape.

And now, a new survey has crowned India as the most over-regulated country in a survey on Asian business and politics by Hong Kong-based Political and Economic Risk Consultancy (PERC).

India was rated worst in terms of over-regulation, scoring 9.16 points out of 10, followed by China with 9.04 points with Japan coming in third with 3.28 points. Hong Kong beat all other Asian investment destinations scoring the best at of 0.98 point, while Singapore was second with 1.08 points.

The survey carried out in the last quarter of 2010, was based on responses from 1,370 US executives about regulatory conditions in the US to provide a benchmark against which to assess the Asian scores.

According to the survey, Indian regulations are complex and lack in transparency. Standards and certifications procedures are also tedious. It can take up to two months to register property, almost 200 days to obtain a construction permit, over 1,400 to enforce a contract and seven years to close a business.

“Documentation requirements for both exports and imports are onerous,” the PERC survey pointed out. “Labour requirements are strict and companies lack flexibility on hiring and firing workers,” it added. Regulations in the country were frequently not enforced, leading PERC to question why they were on the books at all.

These are just a few factors preventing much-needed investment to India.

Higher levels of FDI are crucial for India to achieve its ambition of double-digit growth. Duvvuri Subbarao, India’s central bank governor, has warned that India needs a “quantum step” in investment if it is to propel its growth rate higher than the current 8.5 per cent.

But, it’s not all bad. The Ernst & Young India attractiveness survey published this week showed that half of all global business leaders interviewed were positive about the country, with 75 per cent per cent of global businesses who already conduct business in India indicating that they would expand their operations.

While the outlook for India is still bright, the country needs to push business-friendly national and state-level policies if it is to see significant investment in its growth story.

Last edited:
I know this is supposed to be a Troll fest but I would try to be objective.

No ..
India will not be able to overcome China in the next decade.

I am talking just of Growth Rate, not over all economic figures.If we consider China to slow considerably and India to keep growing then maybe 2050 or later, when India would move beyond China in absolute GDP.

But ...
there are many buts...

A few possible scenarios which can disrupt China's growth is a mutiny , which I dont see happening.Otherwise next decade is China's .Still India is not doing bad.. so let things be the way are

I think our dance is very good. It is our pride.
Why not beat our football team? Chinese people will be very happy to see our football team failure.

I know this is supposed to be a Troll fest but I would try to be objective.

No ..
India will not be able to overcome China in the next decade.

I am talking just of Growth Rate, not over all economic figures.If we consider China to slow considerably and India to keep growing then maybe 2050 or later, when India would move beyond China in absolute GDP.

Corruption in India will keep the country growth down...

‘India growth’: investors lose the faith
‘India growth’: investors lose the faith | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times ? FT.com

But ...
there are many buts...

A few possible scenarios which can disrupt China's growth is a mutiny , which I dont see happening.Otherwise next decade is China's .Still India is not doing bad.. so let things be the way are

USA and the West has already tried all possible dirty tricks out there to get China to fall but China is still standing firm and tall.

‘India growth’: investors lose the faith | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times ? FT.com

USA and the West has already tried all possible dirty tricks out there to get China to fall but China is still standing firm and tall.

Do you think Chinese Babus are not corrupt?

It is there too, but not visible..

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

I think our dance is very good. It is our pride.
Why not beat our football team? Chinese people will be very happy to see our football team failure.

Hockey too:mps:, no football..

China also has corruption. But not particularly bad.
When a country became rich from the poor, There will be money worship and corruption. Only a sound legal system and a prosperous life can solve this problem.
Singapore and the Qin Dynasty is our role model.

China attaches great importance to the problem of corruption.
Because, If China fails, must be defeated by our own.

Corruption is not terrible. Not attach importance to the problem of corruption is terrible.

Last edited:
i dont go with this "lets try to beat china" theory. lets us improve the life of our own people first. we need to utilise this new found wealth to improve infrastrucutre, health care and education.

Corruption, though more rampant in India than China is definitely a bug bear but as markets open up and things move online , grass root corruption will decrease..

That is why I put big BUT

I only said that in future maybe beyond 2020 China would slow down its growth rate,because it causes inflation, and by that time China would be a developed country so of course the growth rate will not be this high.

While India would still be developing country so definitely its growth date might cross China in next decade.

In absoulte GDP it will be beyond 2050...Hope you understand....

Indians are just wasting of money in defense
at last they will be lost war with china.if India is strong than why they are not stopping the Chinese army in Kashmir & in Sikkim

Indians are just wasting of money in defense
at last they will be lost war with china.if India is strong than why they are not stopping the Chinese army in Kashmir & in Sikkim

India is following the footsteps of the former USSR and will also go bankrupt just the USSR did back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom