What's new

China could overtake US economy by 2030: World Bank

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
China could overtake US economy by 2030: World Bank

China could overtake the United States as the world's largest economy if it maintains annual growth of eight per cent over the next 20 years, the World Bank's chief economist said Wednesday.

China, which last year overtook Japan as the number-two economy, has already set a growth target of eight per cent for 2011, and is aiming for seven per cent a year from 2011 to 2015.

"China may become the largest economy in the world by 2030," Justin Lin told an economic forum on China development in Hong Kong, saying its economic size may then be twice as large as the US, measured by purchasing power parity.

He said China has been the world's fastest growing nation over the past two decades and grew at a "miracle" annual growth rate of 10.4 per cent between 1990-2010, a sharp contrast to the performance of other transitional economies.

The economist however warned expansion may be hampered by a weak global recovery from the financial crisis and urged the country to deal with domestic challenges such as addressing its increasing income inequality.

He also said global warming may pose a "real challenge" to China's long-term sustainability, but urged China - the world's biggest polluter - to seize the opportunity and instead turn itself into a new leader in green technology.

"It's necessary for China to continue its growth. These are challenges for China but they are also opportunities for China," said Lin, who assumed the World Bank post since 2008.

China has unveiled ambitious programmes to develop clean energy and shut down factories that fail to meet emissions targets, aiming to reduce its carbon intensity by 40 to 45 per cent by 2020 based on 2005 levels.

China's economy grew 10.3 per cent in 2010, marking the fastest annual pace since the onset of the global crisis.

Unlike other countries struggling to spur growth, Beijing has been trying to slow its economy and stem a flood of liquidity that is fanning inflation and driving up property prices.

China could overtake US economy by 2030 World Bank - Channel NewsAsia

maybe in big numbers, but what we chinese are interested is per capital and growth quality!

I`d say GDP per Capita is much more important since it is the people`s quality of life that is really important in the end.

US a small cake,we should focus on our natural environment,more clean more bettrer.Today the sky is pretty blue,feel good.

Best of Luck to Chines people...! Sooner or later this will happen for sure...:)

That is what I want to say.Chinese people are happy generally now.

Are you kidding me? Do you means that most of Chinese now are very happy?

What statistics make you conduct such a ridiculous conclusion?

Are you kidding me? Do you means that most of Chinese now are very happy?

What statistics make you conduct such a ridiculous conclusion?
Happiness is for show.If you don't feel happy,keep it in heart,especially do not show it to foreigners.This is a rule that people from other countries obey,why we against it.

Happiness is for show.If you don't feel happy,keep it in heart,especially do not show it to foreigners.This is a rule that people from other countries obey,why we against it.

If I'm not happy,I can show it to anyone.It's sick if I stress my unhappiness within my heart and petend to be very happy ESPECIALLY IN FRONT OF FOREIGNERS,that's what happens in North Korea.

Chinese people never need to pretend to be happy if they are not.If a government need his citizens pretending to be happy,it s**ks.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom