What's new

China threatens retaliation after US shot down spy balloon

Question is what will China do about it ? I will respect China if they shoot any American plane or drone in SCS, until that happens its just another empty threat which we see over the years.

Question is what will China do about it ? I will respect China if they shoot any American plane or drone in SCS, until that happens its just another empty threat which we see over the years.
Another empty threat like Pelosi visit to Taiwan, which they threatened the US of "dire consequences and immediate military action " if she carried on with her visit, but only did some military exercises and everybody went back to business. 🤣

To.be fair to China, I think CCP realises they are not in a position to pick a fight with the US YET. So they try and avoid any such incidents which could lead to that since the consequences will.be far reaching for China. So I understand them, and i actually admire their pragmatism, self control and resolve to be patient . They know they need more time to.grow and maintain a peaceful environment to.keep prospering.
Emotional and ideological people on here wont understand this.

Another empty threat like Pelosi visit to Taiwan, which they threatened the US of "dire consequences and immediate military action " if she carried on with her visit, but only did some military exercises and everybody went back to business. 🤣

To.be fair to China, I think CCP realises they are not in a position to pick a fight with the US YET. So they try and avoid any such incidents which could lead to that since the consequences will.be far reaching for China. So I understand them, and i actually admire their pragmatism, self control and resolve to be patient . They know they need more time to.grow and maintain a peaceful environment to.keep prospering.
Emotional and ideological people on here wont understand this.
I agree with you, but when will they do anything more than just threat ? I mean even a weaker country than China like Russia make a move on Crimea and than Ukraine, China is powerful than Russian in my opinion and yet they can't even stop USA from entering the SCS and top US diplomats visiting China, USA is poking them for years and China always come with a new threat, if US did this/that next time, than USA do it again, they say we swear to God if they did it again we will do this/that. World will not respect the China like America until they prove their capabilities against a foe or at least take back what they think its theirs.

Remember this global technological news started around 10 years ago, the super high-tech Google Balloon, before having its prominence stolen by Elon Mask's Starlink?
0e58c946dcc5e52c29ecda7bab72196f.jpg

From

The balloons were maneuvered by adjusting their altitude in the stratosphere to float to a wind layer after identifying the wind layer with the desired speed and direction using wind data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Users of the service connected to the balloon network using a special Internet antenna attached to their building. The signal travelled through the balloon network from balloon to balloon, then to a ground-based station connected to an Internet service provider (ISP), then into the global Internet.​

Loon_signal_propagation_%28in_English%2Cver.2%29.jpg

The tech has proven to be hard/expensive and the company shut down in 2021 after all this,

1675657292633.png

From,

On March 12th, the balloon W-273 completed a global circumnavigation flight, having been launched 16 days earlier on February 24th. The balloon successfully maneuvered to avoid Russian and Ukrainian airspace, and overflew such topographical features as the Alps and Himalayas.​
W-273-ground-track-1536x794.png
I wonder why the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration think it is necessary to avoid Russia and Ukraine and NOT China.

I wonder why the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration think it is necessary to avoid Russia and Ukraine and NOT China.
Because...

US research ballons traveled over China several times in the past

View attachment 915087View attachment 915088View attachment 915089

I must say China has shown extremely weak attitude to allow such balloons to fly from US. US have right to shoot it down, China should have shot it down as well. No reason why US balloons should be given special privileges.

I agree with you, but when will they do anything more than just threat ? I mean even a weaker country than China like Russia make a move on Crimea and than Ukraine, China is powerful than Russian in my opinion and yet they can't even stop USA from entering the SCS and top US diplomats visiting China, USA is poking them for years and China always come with a new threat, if US did this/that next time, than USA do it again, they say we swear to God if they did it again we will do this/that. World will not respect the China like America until they prove their capabilities against a foe or at least take back what they think its theirs.
Well, to be fair China doesnt want conflict with the US. They try as hard as possible to avoid it. They are quite pragmatic/rational. They know the US is still the world's superpower with not only military power but also technological power with influence around the globe and that influence permeates some of the most powerful countries on earth with whom they are allies. So any sanction/total blockade they want to impose on China in the event of a major conflict with China will be followed by almost all US allies which involves China's largest trade and investment partners in the Europe, Asia, Canada , Australia, midl East and even South America. So that will severely weaken and affect China's economic growth and wealth.
So until Cgina has grown to an extent that they are as powerful as the US in almost every sector and with some solid allies who can stand by them in the event of a conflict (not just militarily but also economically) then it will be wise to avoid conflict with the US that might jeopardise China's growth and affects its neighbourhood. I think the CCP understand this, hence the restrain. Just Look at Russia, they are now isolated by most countries in the world and even some Chinese companies with exposure to the West are avoiding the country to avoid getting sanctioned by the US and have their business affected, much less others. So Russia's economy is only going to be in a slow stagnant lane for a long time to come, just like N. Korea and Iran have been.
In life we have to be realistic and rational. No point chest thumping when you know you dont have the upper hand yet, only to lose more than you benefit.

Last edited:
As early as 2019, China's J10c shot down a high-altitude power balloon

The Chinese military released the video three years ago

China uses J10CJ to shoot down a high-altitude power reconnaissance balloon

China has not announced which country the balloon belongs to

But according to the high-altitude balloon technology and detection motive

Only from the United States

US media reported that from last year till now, Chinese balloon has overflown US multiple times, and the US didn't shot it down, US official claimed that they weren't inform of the incident at all.

It appears that for both China and US the norm before was not to shot down.

Now that the US has change that norm, NOAA might need to avoid China the next time they do their data gathering and research.

EDIT: time period should be during Trump presidency

Last edited:

The real question is what are they crying about.

Did they expect somehow the balloon to eventually float back over China where they can go and gingerly deflate it? Maybe they are going to sky hook it or something?

Are they super angry we shot it down versus it deflating over the ocean somewhere?

No, it is not. Here is a little factoid not many talks about...

As of now, the world understands that the US can decide who lives and dies at 60,000 ft and probably up to 70,000 ft over its land territory. This is actually bad news for the rest of the world o_O because if you cannot control your country's airspace up to 60,000 ft, we can overfly you at our convenience. I do not mean just overfly but can loiter for as long as our fuel holds. It means that we can hang over your country at 70,000 ft and take as many pics as we like and know that you cannot to the same against US. People can laugh at US for shooting down a claimed 'weather' balloon, but legal and war experts knows better. :enjoy:

On Oct. 7, 1959,:o: a salvo of three missiles from an S-75 battery destroyed a Taiwanese RB-57 flying over China at an altitude of 65,600 feet.:o::o::o: It was the first-ever hostile shoot-down of an aircraft by a surface-to-air missile. :china:

Starting in 1962, Taiwanese U-2s flew missions at altitudes as high as 75,000 feet over eastern China’s main industrial and population centers. :mod: CIA-operated U.S. Air Force U-2:mod: didn’t totally avoid China.

But the S-75 could reach them. Chinese S-75 crews shot down their first Taiwanese U-2 on Sept. 9, 1962. By the time the Taiwanese U-2 program folded in 1974 amid a wider rapprochement between Washington and Beijing, the island’s air force had lost no fewer than 11 U-2s :toast_sign:and, usually, their pilots. Chinese S-75s accounted for many of them. :agree:

Source

On Oct. 7, 1959,:o: a salvo of three missiles from an S-75 battery destroyed a Taiwanese RB-57 flying over China at an altitude of 65,600 feet.:o::o::o: It was the first-ever hostile shoot-down of an aircraft by a surface-to-air missile. :china:

Starting in 1962, Taiwanese U-2s flew missions at altitudes as high as 75,000 feet over eastern China’s main industrial and population centers. :mod: CIA-operated U.S. Air Force U-2:mod: didn’t totally avoid China.

But the S-75 could reach them. Chinese S-75 crews shot down their first Taiwanese U-2 on Sept. 9, 1962. By the time the Taiwanese U-2 program folded in 1974 amid a wider rapprochement between Washington and Beijing, the island’s air force had lost no fewer than 11 U-2s :toast_sign:and, usually, their pilots. Chinese S-75s accounted for many of them. :agree:

Source
That was missile. Am talking airplane.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom