What's new

Chinese Communist Party can access athletes' personal data through compulsory Winter Olympics app

aziqbal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chinese Communist Party can access athletes' personal data through compulsory Winter Olympics app
'Simple but devastating flaw' in the encryption of the MY2022 app could allow Beijing to access attendees' private information

ByOur Foreign Staff18 January 2022 • 5:33pm

A smartphone app that is required to installed by be all attendees of the upcoming Beijing Winter Olympic Games has encryption flaws that could allow personal information to be stolen, a cyber security watchdog said on Tuesday.
The "simple but devastating flaw" in the encryption of the MY2022 app, designed to monitor the spread of Covid, is mandatory for athletes, journalists and other attendees of the Games in China's capital, could allow health information, voice messages and other data to leak, warned Jeffrey Knockel, author of the report for Citizen Lab.
MY2022's home screen and UI

MY2022's innocent-looking home screen (left) and user interface
Citizen Lab notified the Chinese Olympic organising committee of the issues in early December, giving them 15 days to respond and 45 days to fix the problem, but has so far received no reply.
"China has a history of undermining encryption technology to perform political censorship and surveillance," Mr Knockel wrote.
Advertisement

Advertisement : 9 sec
"As such, it is reasonable to ask whether the encryption in this app was intentionally sabotaged for surveillance purposes or whether the defect was born of developer negligence," he continued, adding that "the case for the Chinese government sabotaging MY2022's encryption is problematic".
According to MY2022’s description in Apple’s App Store, the app implements a wide range of communication functionalities including real-time chat, news feeds, and file transfers.
The app may violate both Google and Apple policies around smartphone software, and "also China's own laws and national standards pertaining to privacy protection, providing potential avenues for future redress," he wrote.

Just get a burner phone inside China to run the app. Thanks to its massive manufacturing base, it is probably quite cheap over there. Heck, since the app is mandatory, China should just supply a burner phone to run it for each athlete.

'Simple but devastating flaw' in the encryption of the MY2022 app could allow Beijing to access attendees' private information

ByOur Foreign Staff18 January 2022 • 5:33pm

A smartphone app that is required to installed by be all attendees of the upcoming Beijing Winter Olympic Games has encryption flaws that could allow personal information to be stolen, a cyber security watchdog said on Tuesday.
The "simple but devastating flaw" in the encryption of the MY2022 app, designed to monitor the spread of Covid, is mandatory for athletes, journalists and other attendees of the Games in China's capital, could allow health information, voice messages and other data to leak, warned Jeffrey Knockel, author of the report for Citizen Lab.
MY2022's home screen and UI's home screen and UI

MY2022's innocent-looking home screen (left) and user interface
Citizen Lab notified the Chinese Olympic organising committee of the issues in early December, giving them 15 days to respond and 45 days to fix the problem, but has so far received no reply.
"China has a history of undermining encryption technology to perform political censorship and surveillance," Mr Knockel wrote.
Advertisement

Advertisement : 9 sec
"As such, it is reasonable to ask whether the encryption in this app was intentionally sabotaged for surveillance purposes or whether the defect was born of developer negligence," he continued, adding that "the case for the Chinese government sabotaging MY2022's encryption is problematic".
According to MY2022’s description in Apple’s App Store, the app implements a wide range of communication functionalities including real-time chat, news feeds, and file transfers.
The app may violate both Google and Apple policies around smartphone software, and "also China's own laws and national standards pertaining to privacy protection, providing potential avenues for future redress," he wrote.

white masters been accessing personal data since internet was made public! how is that different home boy!

Just get a burner phone inside China to run the app. Thanks to its massive manufacturing base, it is probably quite cheap over there. Heck, since the app is mandatory, China should just supply a burner phone to run it for each athlete.

it is not ok to spy on your users

in a free and fair world this is against the law

Communism is a self destructing ideology as it did in 1991 and will do again

China learnt nothing from USSR
white masters been accessing personal data since internet was made public! how is that different home boy!

@waz @The Eagle brothers please deal with him

Neither the west learnt anything from their engagement with USSR and Nazi Germany.

Definition of spy
transitive verb
1: to watch secretly usually for hostile purposes

What part of this is secret or hostile? Do you just enjoy fearmongering?

LoL what a clown~ If communism can make China to have 6 trillion trade and 600B+ surplus ..I will take that sweet communism anytime~!

Chinas government might be able to access personal data visitors are sending to Chinas government via a Chinese government app, due to the software in some instances allegedly missing an extra layer of security when encrypting messages, which could allow the government to listen into communication between the governments app and the government. This could lead to Chinas government gaining knowledge of their visitors data and medical information the visitors already gave up to Chinas customs before or when entering the country and track if the person came into contact with infected or uninfected people. Such are the yet unconfirmed claims of a Canada based company whos spokesperson is in the same breath parotting confirmed disinformation and U.S. state propaganda about about China - Colab of U.S. and British state affiliated media

Are Americans braindead? I mean I get that they hate free and independent countries like China that dont bow to them but also cant be bombed out of their way, but this is a propaganda campaign meant for domestic consumption and there has to be a huge audience that is still going to fall for this.

Last edited:

Brother, being PDF thinktank and analyst, as it reflects from your designation you are bound to analyze the news/situation with some modesty and not to take sides. You are a PDF think tank and analyst and not an American one.
What I comprehend, here some members ask you for the difference in USA/China approaches on the same issues/actions. Here you should feed them with some true and constructive analysis but you are trying to take shelter under the MODS shield which is not a justification to your designation.

The biggest spyware is Windows. You can NEVER hack free Linux. And OS code is simple that you can just go look at Linux depository.

Brother, being PDF thinktank and analyst, as it reflects from your designation you are bound to analyze the news/situation with some modesty and not to take sides. You are a PDF think tank and analyst and not an American one.
What I comprehend, here some members ask you for the difference in USA/China approaches on the same issues/actions. Here you should feed them with some true and constructive analysis but you are trying to take shelter under the MODS shield which is not a justification to your designation.
like house negro he is hiding behind his masters! all he dors is post links no analysis nothing just pro white master news against their new enemy or should i say propaganda to sell more weapons!

Back
Top Bottom