What's new

Chinese Loongson chips coming in 2023, on par with 2020 x86 kit

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Homegrown chips remain behind for now, but for how much longer?​

China is set to get its hands on homegrown processors next year that purportedly rival the performance of AMD and Intel chips released over the past two years

Chinese semiconductor company Loongson recently announced that its next-generation Godson CPU, the 3A6000, will sample with customers in the first half of 2023, according to a Chinese-language news report. That means a launch could follow later in the year.

Previous reports have indicated that Loongson's 3A6000 processor will allegedly provide performance that is on par with AMD's Ryzen 5000 CPUs and Intel's 11th-Gen Core CPUs, which both debuted in 2020.

This expectation is based on simulation test results provided by Loongson showing that the 3A6000 will improve single-core fixed-point performance by 37 percent and single-core floating-point performance by 68 percent over the previous-generation 3A5000, based on the SPEC CPU 2006 benchmark. As always, claims made by vendors should be taken with a grain of salt, and one benchmark is not indicative of how a processor will perform across a wide range of applications.

If the 3A6000's performance comes anywhere close to what Loongson claims, it means China is still quite behind when compared to the latest x86 processors from Intel and AMD, which released their latest Ryzen 7000 processors and 13th-Gen Core processors, respectively, this fall.

However, the performance claims also show how China has progressed with processor technology that is based on the homegrown, MIPS-compatible LoongArch instruction set architecture. The company has previously claimed that its chips feature circuitry that helps with the emulation and binary translation of non-Loongson instruction sets such as x86 and Arm, as we have previously reported.

Hu Weiwu, chairman of Loongson, said last week that his company plans to build out a software ecosystem that will allow Chinese users to run more applications on the LoongArch ISA natively, rather than relying on emulation or translation of other ISAs.

Homegrown chips have become increasingly important to China as the company deals with a growing stack of export restrictions pushed by the US. The latest restrictions include a block on semiconductor equipment that could be used to make logic chips with a 16nm process or smaller, DRAM chips at 18nm or smaller, and NAND flash with 128 or more layers. ®

With the help of Presidents Trump and Biden, the homegrown Chinese computer industry began to gain support in the Chinese market

When China can produce graphics cards and cpus, the price of the latest configuration of the computer will drop significantly

The price of graphics cards is too high now

I've had my 1060 for five years,

i haven't changed it yet

Hush--keep your voice down or you will be accused of stealing... :)

Homegrown chips remain behind for now, but for how much longer?​

China is set to get its hands on homegrown processors next year that purportedly rival the performance of AMD and Intel chips released over the past two years

Chinese semiconductor company Loongson recently announced that its next-generation Godson CPU, the 3A6000, will sample with customers in the first half of 2023, according to a Chinese-language news report. That means a launch could follow later in the year.

Previous reports have indicated that Loongson's 3A6000 processor will allegedly provide performance that is on par with AMD's Ryzen 5000 CPUs and Intel's 11th-Gen Core CPUs, which both debuted in 2020.

Why is China still focusing on single core processing? By reading the article, it's clear that they are trying to include "Hyper threading" into their single processor architecture. Why aren't they working on Dual or Quad core? Especially for Scientific applications, military and research, dual / quad cores are critically required.

Does China has some project in pipes to focus on dual / quad cores?

With the help of Presidents Trump and Biden, the homegrown Chinese computer industry began to gain support in the Chinese market

When China can produce graphics cards and cpus, the price of the latest configuration of the computer will drop significantly

The price of graphics cards is too high now

I've had my 1060 for five years,

i haven't changed it yet

But China doesn't have the ecosystem by it's own.

Nor even think to have one.

Once USA is blocking China for Windows and Android... then it's the end.

You're right, Microsoft has succeeded in popularizing itself in China by supporting pirated versions of Windows, and China would not have developed its own operating system without an outside helping hand

In fact, China has decided to phase out government-owned windows computers and replace them with homegrown versions of its own operating system

Moreover, only chinese-made computer makers are allowed to bid.

A few years ago, If China does this,the United States would have threatened to sue China at the World Trade Organization. Now, China doesn't care about any of the American accusations, because the United States is actively interrupting and withdrawing from the Chinese market

Lol. What r u smoking? On my Huawei laptop, I permanently put Windows 11 offline. The OS I'm using for online activity is Deepin Linux.

Plus, I see some companies getting interested in OpenHarmony. Once Chinese companies are smart enough to put together an OpenHarmony tablet or OpenHarmony mini-PC board, Windows and Android are fukked.

I already fukking Windows 11 up with Deepin OS and that is very telling!

That's a ridiculous statement.

China still has a demand for operation systems even if Americans close off access to Windows and Android. It's not like everybody will collectively shut down their electronics in China and go back to pencil and paper. That means domestic ones will pop up to take Windows, Android and Apple's market share. China has 1/6 of the world's population. This market alone can fully support its own ecosystem.

Back
Top Bottom