What's new

Competition heats up for IAF’s medium transport aircraft deal

Which will be a good thing for Pakistan as America will provide weapons to Pakistan as a revenge.
Its not matter of revenge but performance parameters and requirement of Indian Armed forces

Requirement is for a plane that can carry 18 tons cargo as min to max 30 tons

Airbus A4400MKawasaki C2C130J Super HerculesC390 Millenium
Introduction2013201619992019
Capacity37 Tons37 Tons20 Tons26 Tons
Speed (at max payload)780 Km/h920 Km/h670 Km/h980 Km/h
Range3300 Km4500 Km3300 Km (15 Tons)2110 Km (26 tons)
Ceiling12,200 meters13100 meters8500 meters11000 meters
Price141 Million$ (2021)153 Million$ (2021)85 Million$ (2021)85 Million$ (2021)

I made this after referring a video made about a month ago

The prices aren't adjusted to current days inflation however, as 2021 price is considered as base price.

C2 is there only for capacity comparison, as it is not present in this race as of now.

C130 J compared to A400 and C390, can't carry enough load to long distances which will be the most possible scenario for India. Its a excellent platform for specialized operations, but not that great purely as a cargo carrying plane (in 18 to 30 ton capacity for India).

This is the reason I said, it will A400 vs C390. If we want low cost and slightly behind capability of A400, C390 is the way to go. Embraer is also eager to move production line to India, and their officials have visited or are going to visit India. Its a good option.

However if we want the best and don't mind price, A400 is the best. This also has the possibility of local production line, as Airbus and Tata are already making C295 here. Further the order is big, about 40 to 80 planes overall. So Airbus won't mind moving the production line, if it gets selected I feel.

I don't think our GOI and armed forces will select a less capable platform, worrying that US will then sell it to Pakistan.

I don't think our GOI and armed forces will select a less capable platform, worrying that US will then sell it to Pakistan.
This is not how it works i.e. C-130s for India or else for Pakistan. They can provide other stuff like more Amraams, maybe F-16 upgrades. Who knows but they have many ways to put in place third world cats who begin to think they are tigers.

There should be no waver in determination by India that the winner sets up a manufacturing line in India.
Too many times the suppliers have gotten away with no permeant benefit to India's economy.
We have to insist, manufacture here and let us export to the international market.

The template is set. the C-295 being built by the Tata-Airbus JV is what will be emulated, but with the MTA the deal size may be larger and could possibly involve even more demands of ToT from India.

This is not how it works i.e. C-130s for India or else for Pakistan. They can provide other stuff like more Amraams, maybe F-16 upgrades. Who knows but they have many ways to put in place third world cats who begin to think they are tigers.
Well its you who mentioned that, India not selecting C130 will be good for Pakistan as US will sell it in revenge to Pakistan.

I agree that it will not be the same system that will be sold to Pakistan, as it depends on Pakistan's requirement.

My post was to clear the air, as to why C130J makes less sense to us.

Again the bolded part, you are making it a zero sum game. We already rejected F18 and selected Rafale M, and I don't think America got hurt.

Reasons: We already operate 12 C130J, and C17 Globemaster (don't remember numbers) as well both belong to US. We brought P8 from them, so its not like we keep rejecting their platforms.

M777 by Army and there is talk of Stryker platform purchase on cards. So all three services operate some kind of US platforms.

Even bigger than this order is GE 414 engine deal (conservatively it will go to above 600 engines), which just got passed by US Congress. Then there is the Predator deal as well. It will only keep growing actually.

So I don't think even if they loose this order (Which is most likely), they will start selling weapons to Pakistan.

Everyone get ready to see C390 flying in IAF colours
You don't think A400 has chance, due to C295 being in already?

According to sources, another issue that needs to be looked into is the flying capacity of the aircraft. While the C-130 J of the IAF has landed at Advanced Landing Ground in Daulat Beg Oldie (DBO), which is at 17,700 feet, the certified landing of the Embraer aircraft is only 14,000 feet.

Embraer officials argue that the aircraft is capable of landing at DBO but note that they are yet to practically showcase the landing yet.

Another problem is that the IAF will have to make up its mind of the replacement for the IL 76s which have a tonnage capacity of about 50 tonnes.

The IAF is looking at what would be the best tonnage that can cater to the requirement of various load carrying capacities without compromising the operational capabilities like landing in ALGs.

Roberto Martinez, Airbus’ A400M marketing manager had told a group of reporters, which ThePrint was part of, in July in Spain that the A 400M can land onto short and unpaved airstrips where IL-76 and C-17 cannot.

Airbus’s argument against its competition in the MTA programme is that its aircraft can carry heavy loads over longer distances and can fly up to a maximum altitude of 40,000 feet.

The IAF will also have to take into account the future acquisitions planned by the Indian Army including the light tank that it is planning to procure, having a weight of about 25 tonnes.

While larger aircraft like the C-17s can easily airlift the tanks, it cannot land at ALGs.

Sources said that if the plan is to procure 40-80 aircraft, they have to be load-carrying capable of various levels with ability to operate and land at higher altitudes and will have to sit somewhere in between the larger C-17s and the C-295.

Well its you who mentioned that, India not selecting C130 will be good for Pakistan as US will sell it in revenge to Pakistan.
Will it? Since a lot of C-130 supply chains are in India producing a lot of critical components for it's airframe.

According to sources, another issue that needs to be looked into is the flying capacity of the aircraft. While the C-130 J of the IAF has landed at Advanced Landing Ground in Daulat Beg Oldie (DBO), which is at 17,700 feet, the certified landing of the Embraer aircraft is only 14,000 feet.

Embraer officials argue that the aircraft is capable of landing at DBO but note that they are yet to practically showcase the landing yet.

Another problem is that the IAF will have to make up its mind of the replacement for the IL 76s which have a tonnage capacity of about 50 tonnes.

The IAF is looking at what would be the best tonnage that can cater to the requirement of various load carrying capacities without compromising the operational capabilities like landing in ALGs.

Roberto Martinez, Airbus’ A400M marketing manager had told a group of reporters, which ThePrint was part of, in July in Spain that the A 400M can land onto short and unpaved airstrips where IL-76 and C-17 cannot.

Airbus’s argument against its competition in the MTA programme is that its aircraft can carry heavy loads over longer distances and can fly up to a maximum altitude of 40,000 feet.

The IAF will also have to take into account the future acquisitions planned by the Indian Army including the light tank that it is planning to procure, having a weight of about 25 tonnes.

While larger aircraft like the C-17s can easily airlift the tanks, it cannot land at ALGs.

Sources said that if the plan is to procure 40-80 aircraft, they have to be load-carrying capable of various levels with ability to operate and land at higher altitudes and will have to sit somewhere in between the larger C-17s and the C-295.
Once the light tank carrying capability comes into picture, it basically means the done deal for A400, as no platform can carry the Zorawar into Leh other than A400!!

Once the light tank carrying capability comes into picture, it basically means the done deal for A400, as no platform can carry the Zorawar into Leh other than A400!!
20230830_141244.jpg

Screenshot_20230830-141412_Web Browser.jpg

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom