What's new

Country's exports increase by 33 percent

Dance

Reaction score
ISLAMABAD: The exports of Pakistan in May 2011 increased by 33 percent over the exports in May 2010, according to the provisional trade statistics released by Federal Board of Revenue (FBR).
For the first time, country’s exports for the 11 months of the financial year2010-11 are reported at Rs1.95 trillion (US$ 22.7 billion) which is well above this year's targets of US $ 21.2 billion.

The exports as percentage of imports have increased by 6 percent in the current year trace over last year.

It is expected that the country, for the first time would be able to export goods worth $ 25 billion in this year, said a statement issued by Ministry of Commerce here on Thursday.

On the other hand imports increased at a rate of 16 percent and were reported at US $ 36.5 billion in July-May 2010-11.

ISLAMABAD: The exports of Pakistan in May 2011 increased by 33 percent over the exports in May 2010, according to the provisional trade statistics released by Federal Board of Revenue (FBR).
For the first time, country’s exports for the 11 months of the financial year2010-11 are reported at Rs1.95 trillion (US$ 22.7 billion) which is well above this year's targets of US $ 21.2 billion.

The exports as percentage of imports have increased by 6 percent in the current year trace over last year.

It is expected that the country, for the first time would be able to export goods worth $ 25 billion in this year, said a statement issued by Ministry of Commerce here on Thursday.

On the other hand imports increased at a rate of 16 percent and were reported at US $ 36.5 billion in July-May 2010-11.

Great news,:tup: I hope we would be able to reach exports above 28billion US$ next fiscal year(July11-June12)

Whats the point of increasing exports if imports are also increasing at an even faster rate?

under musharaff,,,,majority of out exports items increased by hundreds of percents. We saw rapid growth during mush era. You have to hand it to him.

Source ???????

i read this quite sometime back in the newspaper, months back., but i can assure you that during mush rule until 2006, almost 80% of our export items' exports grew by hundreds of percents, i hate musharaff , but this he did do, i didnt believe it at the beginning as well, but later i saw it from multiple papers.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

i will try to search a few items and their numbers if you like!

under musharaff,,,,majority of out exports items increased by hundreds of percents. We saw rapid growth during mush era. You have to hand it to him.

A lot of things in Pakistan were good under his era

A lot of countries had it good upto 2007 globally. But Pakistan was hit by the double whammy of not only the global economic meltdown but also a surge in terrorism starting 2007. This is not to take away from the hard work and achievements of Musharraf but just be aware.

Here is another related news. Let's see. This will be how many times the American 'aid' that gets to Pakistan every YEAR?

Remittances cross $10bn mark first time in country's history

Remittances cross $10bn mark first time in country's history

Whats the point of increasing exports if imports are also increasing at an even faster rate?

A rise in imports coupled with a good rise in exports indicates that the economy is running smoothly. Rise in exports means rise in domestic production and a rise in imports means the country now has more funds to meet its domestic needs and also import capital goods for future growth.

What were the main Items of export? It cant be agri based as all of your land was washed away in flood last year.

What export it can be?

i read this quite sometime back in the newspaper, months back., but i can assure you that during mush rule until 2006, almost 80% of our export items' exports grew by hundreds of percents, i hate musharaff , but this he did do, i didnt believe it at the beginning as well, but later i saw it from multiple papers.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

i will try to search a few items and their numbers if you like!

The reason that there was a lot of improvement during his tenure is that he was able to achieve domestic peace. His time was the time when there was minimal funding to the state sproncered terrorist. but the current government is impotent when it comes to achieving domestic peace.
I wish that Pakistan is directed in the right direction to success by its elected government, but its all in good hands who will lead Pakistan and thats not going to be Zardari for sure.

The increment of exports, to an extent is due to the increase in the prices of cotton yarn which went up by 100% roughly. As a result the textile industry was able to earn more in terms of US$.

The output of the industry remained the same.

adding to this great news on Pakistan's economic front, if you remove the politics from this discussion- imagine if India and Pakistan open it's trade barriers what Pakistan's exports numbers would be?

every country in the world wants to export to India's large market - but Pakistan has that others don't - exports that are more in demand within the Indian subcontinent . You cant export as much to china vs India because India shares a larger demand of Pakistani products. you have spices, cultural products etc that both Pakistan and India share...the list of products Pakistan manufactures and that are exportable is much longer and has greater demand in the Indian subcontinent and vice versa. This export number can double up, if only we keep welfare of both countries citizenry in mind. makes sense?

Musharraf has turned into the Clinton of Pakistan. Alot of people completely mix up the cause and affect relationships at work here. Musharraf didnt make our country more prosperous. Since the 1980s, we have never had a sustained period of economic growth that didnt seem like an aberration within a couple of years. That is because our economy is fundamentally flawed, small tax base, high level of corruption, a massive under the table economy, so to say.
The Musharraf years seemed good, not only because the world markets were doing well, but also because of the war on terror, which meant we were, once again, the best buddies with the US. The massive amount of aid coming into our country helped prop up the economy, also a surprisingly large amount of shady money Pakistanis had around the globe was moved back into Pakistan, possibly a byproduct of the war on terror and the crack down on muslims. Whenever good things happen, it is unfortunately, unlikely to last, our growth is always artificial and the periods of stagnation, sadly, are more of an accurate representation of what Pakistan has become today.
There was more foreign investment in the country, but that too can be attributed to multinational companies doing well and expanding operations globally, that is hardly the case now, and the stability that Musharraf artificially maintained by shoving huge problems, like unrest in waziristan and Baluchistan, under the rug is totally gone now. The government now is dealing with the blowback of the actions undertaken by Musharraf's policies in the war on terror.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom