What's new

Cultures and colors of Pakistan

haviZsultan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
[Dear friends,

This is a place for all the cultures of Pakistan. It is for the beauty of our cultures, our linguistic diversity and the vast, vast, vast number of people living in Pakistan. Also do share history here of the various tribes and cultures. You can also share history of your ancestral place if you are a migrant, for example mine is Barabanki/Barailly from mothers side.

Being a Pakistani means loving everyone, every culture, every ethnic group. This is what makes us true Pakistanis. So please share your knowledge of various cultures. The progneiter of the first such thread was @Monkey D Luffy. I apologize for derailing his thread but here... please don't fight.

Respect each others culture. Try to post more history than modern stuff. So no Altaf Hussain or Wali Khan here please. It just leads to fights and a lot of people are intolerant.

@WebMaster please sticky this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me start. @Malik Abdullah:

Awan tribe

Awan (Urdu: اعوان‎, Punjabi Gurmukhi ਆਵਾਨ), is a South Asian Zamindar tribe, putatively of Arab origin,[1] living predominantly in northern, central, and western parts of Punjab, Pakistan, Khyber Pukhtunkhwa and azad Kashmir regions. The Awans subscribe to the belief that they are the descendants of the fourth Caliph, Ali, and as such, a number adopt the title, Alvi.[2]

There are differing theories pertaining to their origins:

Arab origin
A letter written by the Sajjada Nashin, Pir Sial Sharif Khawaja Zia-ud-Din, to Qazi Mian Muhammad Amjad, requesting him to lend the book Kihalastah al-Nisab, a treatise written by Jamal ad-Din Hasan ibn Yusuf ibn 'Ali ibn Muthahhar al-Hilli, on the descendants of Ali ibn Abi Talib; this rare tome also covers the descendants of Ali ibn Abi Talib, who migrated to lands outside Arabia - including the Indian subcontinent - following the rise of the Umayyad Caliphate. The treatise is the oldest work dealing with the history of the Awan tribe.

The Awan historiographers[3][4][5][6] maintain that the Awans are descended from an individual named Qutb Shah, who originally resided in Herat, served in the army of Mahmud of Ghazni, and was a Hashemite descendant of the Prophet Muhammad's cousin and son-in-law, Ali (but by a wife other than the Prophet's daughter, Fatimah[7]). As Sir Lepel Henry Griffin states:

"All branches of the tribe are unanimous in stating that they originally came from the neighbourhood of Ghazni to India, and all trace their genealogy to Hasrat Ali the son-in-law of the Prophet. Kutab Shah, who came from Ghazni with Sultan Mahmud, was the common ancestor of the Awans."[8]

It is asserted that Qutb Shah and six of his sons accompanied and assisted Mahmud in his early eleventh century conquests of what today forms parts of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Northern India. It is claimed that in recognition of their services and valour, Mahmud bestowed upon Qutb Shah and his sons (who, according to tribal traditions, settled primarily in the Salt Range) the title of Awan, meaning "helper".[9]

Tribal history holds that Qutb Shah and his sons married local women who converted to Islam from Hinduism. Qutb Shah’s sons are said to have settled in different regions of the Punjab and to a lesser extent, what now constitutes parts of Khyber Pukhtunkhwa; Gauhar Shah or Gorrara, settled near Sakesar, Kalan Shah or Kalgan, settled in Kalabagh, Chauhan colonized the hills close to the Indus, Mohammad Shah or Khokhar, settled by the Chenab, and Tori ‏and Jhajh settled in Tirah.[10] Their descendants not only came to heavily populate these regions, but a number of Awan sub-clans that trace their origins to these six individuals, give their names to various localities such as Golera in Rawalpindi, Khewra in Jhelum, Banjara in Sialkot, Jand in Attock, and Dhudial in Chakwal. Some of Qutb Shah’s sons are supposed to have assumed names that reflected the Hindu heritage of their mothers and the Awan sub-clans that trace their origins to these particular individuals, bear the names of their eponyms.[11]

Amongst those who support the Awan claim to Arab ancestry, are H. A. Rose, Malik Fazal Dad Khan and Sabiha Shaheen. Although Rose was more cautious in assigning an Arab origin to the Awans, he was willing to concede that the tribe may well be Alvi Sayyids, who having sought refuge in Sindh from the Abbasids, allied themselves to Sabuktagin and assisted him in his Indian adventure, for which he bestowed the title of Awan on them (Rose considering it plausible that the name of the Awan tribe was derived from the word 'Ahwan', meaning "helper".[12] And although the Ferozsons Urdu-English Dictionary lists the Awans as a Rajput clan, it does state that the title of the tribe is of Arabic origin, being the plural of the word 'aun', and defining "Awan" as "helpers"[13]).[12] Making reference to W.S. Talbot's assessment of the Awans, Rose also commented:

"But in the best available account of the tribe, the Awans are indeed said to be of Arabian origin and descendants of Qutb Shah."[12]

Malik Fazal Dad Khan supports the traditional account of the Awans' origins, but with some modifications. He considers the Awans to be of Arabian origin and traces their lineage to Ali, but according to him, Abdullah Rasul Mirza was the remote ancestor of the Awans; in the eighth century, he was made a commander of the army of Ghaur by Caliph Haroon-ur-Rasheed, the title of Awan being conferred upon him, and his descendants consequently being called Awans. Sabiha Shaheen (who addressed this issue as part of her MA Thesis) deems this theory tenable. Furthermore, she states that Qutb Shah fled to the Subcontinent along with a small group of people due to Mongol attacks and joined the court of Iltutmish. The majority of his descendants came to refer to themselves as Qutb Shahi Awans[14]
Indigenous origin

However, there are those who attribute an indigenous origin to the Awan tribe; these include Alexander Cunningham, Harikishan Kaul, and Professor Ahmed Hasan Dani. Alexander Cunningham looked upon the Awans as a Rajput clan,.[15] He writes, " According to the Emperor Babar the Jud and the Janjuha were "two races descended from the same father, "[16] who from old times had been rulers of the hills between Nilab and Bhera, that is , of the salt range. "On one-half of the hill lived the Jud, and on the other half the Janjua." The Awans now occupy western half of these hills towards Nilab, and from all I could learn, they would appear to have been settled there for many centuries. They must therefore be the Jud of Baber's memoirs, for Jud was not the true name of the people, but was applied to them as the inhabitants of Mt' Sakeswar, which was called Jud by the Muhammadans on account of fancied resemblance to Mt. Jud, or Ararat in Armenia".[17] However he accepts that,"In the total absence of all written records, I have almost nothing to offer in favour of this identification, except its great probability."[18] According to Robert George Thomson, "General Cunningham's argument leads him to class the Awans as Rajputs and cousins of the Janjuas, and to represent them also as residents of three thousand years standing, this is almost certainly erroneous.[19]

Kaul was of the opinion that the tribe was of either Jat or Rajput origin, pointing to the fact that in Sanskrit, the term Awan means "defender" or "protector" and asserting that this title was awarded by surrounding tribes due to the Awans successfully defending their strongholds against aggression.[20] However it is also stated in Census of India, 1901, that "In the Salt-range Tract, however, the higher Rajput tribes, such as Janjua, are carefully excluded; and Jat means any Muhammadan cultivator of Hindu origin who is not an Awan, Gakkhar, Pathan, Saiyad."[21]

Dani claimed that following the spread of Islam in the region where the Awans predominated, the tribe made a conscious decision to associate itself with a Semitic past, and hence Awans came to refer to themselves as “Qutub Shahis.”[22] Citing Kaul's conclusions, James Wikeley said of the Awans that:

"After the Muhammadan invasions, they seem to have been converted by Syad Kutb Shah, after which the Awans began to call themselves Kutb Shahi, i.e., the followers of Kutb Shah."[23]
Other theories

Arthur Brandreth believed the Awans to be remnants of Bactrian Greeks.[15] Robert George Thomson writes that, "Mr. Arthur Brandreth thinks that they may be descended from Bactrian Greeks. But Mr. Lepel Griffin considers that all real Greeks would have refused to stay in the Panjab.[24]

Awans are also heavily recruited in the army:

Awan_Sepoy_%2830th_Punjabis%29.jpg

Will post the history later. Cheers.

Few days ago one of my Pashtun friend told me that we all are descendants of Qais Abdul Rasheed...His tribe send him to Makkah and Madinah to know about the new Prophet and thn he embraced Islam and married the daughter of Hazrat Khalid Bin Waleed(R.A)...My friend went to Pakistan last year and thn he got to know about it from his village elders.(He lives in Kala Khel, Bunair btw)

My family house:

From Arabia to India: Firangi Mahal

The Firangi Mahal family trace a direct, unbroken lineage to Abu Ayyub al-Ansari, a companion of Muhammad. Abu Ayyub al-Ansari belonged to the Bani Ghanam(1)(2) tribe from amongst the Khazraj of Yathrib (later Madina, Medina or Madina un-Nabi). This lineage is traced through another very famous scholar and poet, descendant of Abu Ayyub al-Ansari, Khajeh Abdollah Ansari of Herat, Afghanistan. (1)(2)

The lineage is described, and traced in the family history records (1), as follows;

Abu Ayyub al-Ansari
Abu Mansoor al-Ansari al-Taabi'i
Jaafar al-Ansari
Ali al-Ansari
Ahmad al-Ansari
Muhammad al-Ansari
Abu Mu'aaz al-Ansari
Jaafar al-Ansari
Abu Mansoor Ansari Balkhi
Abu Ismail Khajeh Abdollah Ansari of Herat
Jabar Muqarrab-Baari Ansari
Ayyub Ansari
Khajeh Auz Ansari
Khajeh Shahabuddin Mahmood Ansari
Khajeh Nizamuddin Ansari
Khajeh Sultan Muhammad Ansari
Khajeh Zaheeruddin Ansari
Khajeh Jalaluddin Ansari
Khajeh Shamsuddin Ansari
Khawaja Pir Habibullah Ansari
Khawaja Pir Muizzuddin Ansari
Khawaja Pir Ghayasuddin Ansari
Khawaja Dost Muhammad Ansari
Khawaja Jamaluddin Ansari
Khawaja Azizuddin Ansari
Khawaja Dawood Ansari
Khawaja Ishaaq Ansari
Shaikh Khawaja Ismail Ansari
Qutub al-Aalam, Shaikh Khawaja Alauddin Ansari, of Herat
Shaikh Nizamuddin Ansari
Sharfuddin Ansari
Shaikh Muhiuddin Ansari
Shaikh Fazlullah Ansari
Shaikh Habibullah Ansari
Mulla Shaikh Muhammad Hafiz Ansari
Mulla Shaikh Ahmad Ansari
Mulla Shaikh Abdul Kareem Ansari
Mulla Shaikh Abdul Haleem Ansari
Maulana Qutubuddin Ansari - The Qutub Shaheed

Around the mid-sixteenth century Shaikh Makhdoom Nizamuddin Ansari travelled from Panipat to, and settled in, Oudh province of the Mughal Empire. As stated above, the family settled in Sehali, near Barabanki, and soon attracted students and pupils from the surrounding areas who were interested in acquiring religious education. The town of Sehali is about fourteen miles from Bansa - the abode of the famous, Shah Abdur Razzaq Bansavi(of Bansa), with whom in due course, the Ulama of Firangi Mahal were to develop a deep scholarly connection.

Few days ago one of my Pashtun friend told me that we all are descendants of Qais Abdul Rasheed...His tribe send him to Makkah and Madinah to know about the new Prophet and thn he embraced Islam and married the daughter of Hazrat Khalid Bin Waleed(R.A)...My friend went to Pakistan last year and thn he got to know about it from his village elders.(He lives in Kala Khel, Bunair btw)

Depending on the tribe you will get a differing theory. For example:
-Burkis believe they are Ansaris (though there may be divisions here) who settled in the area.
-Yousafzais claim descent from Afghanistan (national sense)...
-Some Ghilzai's believe all Pashtuns are turks. @ghilzai will confirm.
-Some Safi's claim descent from the Safavids.

There is so much difference in what each Pashtun thinks about his descent you will be amazed though almost everyone believes in a relationship to Qais Abdur Rashid. I saw biases against these beautiful people in Dubai, Karachi and the world basically. Yet they never uttered an uff against Pakistan. My real mentor (he wasn't a mentor rather my inspiration) was a guy at office in Karachi. Total Nationalist Pakistani always abused for being a Pashtun. I knew I would love em for ever. And in the end I turned out a wannabe Pashtun with such limited links. People think I'm crazy. :D

@hafizsultan almost all ansari in U.P and Bihar belongs to Julaha Community. Any connection to arabia ? or they were Hindus indulged in this business and later converted to Islam and took the surname Ansari.

-Burkis believe they are Ansaris (though there may be divisions here) who settled in the area.

There is so much difference in what each Pashtun thinks about his descent you will be amazed though almost everyone believes in a relationship to Qais Abdur Rashid. I saw biases against these beautiful people in Dubai, Karachi and the world basically. Yet they never uttered an uff against Pakistan. My real mentor (he wasn't a mentor rather my inspiration) was a guy at office in Karachi. Total Nationalist Pakistani always abused for being a Pashtun. I knew I would love em for ever. And in the end I turned out a wannabe Pashtun with such limited links. People think I'm crazy. :D

mate, you have told me so much about your links and now pashtun links too??:undecided:

You are not alone..There are two brothers in my university who came from Pakistan..they spent all their life in Cantt..( their father is a colonel) so one of the younger brother cant speak pashto and the elder one cant speak Pashto properly like other Pashtun students who came from Swat,Khyber,Bannu Dargai etc..so once we were sitting in a mess one Pashtu friend was telling me that they are liars they are Hindkos not Pathans..and Hindko people are bad n stuff..i told him tht i am hindko so he immediately changed the topic...but i realized what goes in his mind..anyway last year the cousin of those two brother came from Pakistan to China for business purposes..and he was like a real pathan wearing Shalwar Kameez and his Urdu accent was the same like Pashtuns so thn all of them realized these brothers are Pashtun too..lol..So If you dont know Pashtu u r not Pakhtoon :P I cant speak Hindko n i dont give a damn either but no Awan can tell me i am not Awan...btw i suggest you to take a DNA test and see if you are really from that region..I think we all shud check it.

mate, you have told me so much about your links and now pashtun links too??:undecided:

The post you mentioned does not include my links. Its about tribes and their backgrounds-you do not know demography and tribal structure of Pashtuns. There is also Bani Israel theory. I will post my parents passport if you want. My mothers Indian passport may even still be in existance because she moved in 70's. It is often a good route to disbelieve when met with something that bears negative connotations.

Also the links to Pashtuns again are UNPROVEN and even if they exist are through a single princess married into the family which gives me what 5%, 10%, 15% blood? It is from fathers side. There is no proof of any Pashtun link. I am a wannabe Pashtun in all sense as our families do not speak Pashto either.

But of course there are some things:

Some Pashtuns are Ansaris too:
Mirza Khan Ansari/Bayazid Ansari or Pir Rokhan/Pir Roshan :: Khyber.ORG

Another thing is do you know of rohilla land (Rohilla are an Indianized Pashtun tribe). A district is named after it in UP. Here is a link on UP Pathans.

Pathans of Uttar Pradesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rokhila'Khand, Fatehpur these are hubs of Pashtuns in Uttar Pradesh though we don't like the name UP. Check the district map and you will find Bareilly and Fatehpur which have significant Pashtun populations.

My family on Pakistani side views itself as Muhajir just because of some movement across the border which is incredibly dumb but a reality in Pakistan. I wish to change this by merging into Pashtuns. Pashtuns were the logical choice due to the yet unproven links-the demographics of Karachi (25% Pashtun) and fascination with them due to my book Badal which is about Pashtuns. There were other reasons too. Hope this answer satisfies the Indians and Pashtuns/Muhajirs all of which think of me as confused. :D

You are not alone..There are two brothers in my university who came from Pakistan..they spent all their life in Cantt..( their father is a colonel) so one of the younger brother cant speak pashto and the elder one cant speak Pashto properly like other Pashtun students who came from Swat,Khyber,Bannu Dargai etc..so once we were sitting in a mess one Pashtu friend was telling me that they are liars they are Hindkos not Pathans..and Hindko people are bad n stuff..i told him tht i am hindko so he immediately changed the topic...but i realized what goes in his mind..anyway last year the cousin of those two brother came from Pakistan to China for business purposes..and he was like a real pathan wearing Shalwar Kameez and his Urdu accent was the same like Pashtuns so thn all of them realized these brothers are Pashtun too..lol..So If you dont know Pashtu u r not Pakhtoon :P I cant speak Hindko n i dont give a damn either but no Awan can tell me i am not Awan...btw i suggest you to take a DNA test and see if you are really from that region..I think we all shud check it.

The thing is we already know na... we are not really pathans and I am a wannabe Pashtun. Those families that spoke urdu and moved to Pakistan became muhajirs even if they had Pashtun ancestry. For example look at this:

Rohilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost all of the Rohilla Pashtuns were registered as Urdu speakers in Pakistan. So if they became Muhajirs our family with one measly link that is unproven will call itself that same horrid term. I don't like it but then its there choice... only argue with them when the support turns to MQM due to that identity. I made a thread on Muhajir identity here:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/national-political-issues/228096-split-discussion-muhajir-identity.html

I assail that identity here though I am technically a migrant who moved from there. :D
Also if you ask my parents or relatives if they are Pathans they will say no. Most won't know about the legend about the princess either. I am the one who is trying to claim Pashtun identity with very limited links. My parents do not know Pashto.

@hafizsultan almost all ansari in U.P and Bihar belongs to Julaha Community. Any connection to arabia ? or they were Hindus indulged in this business and later converted to Islam and took the surname Ansari.

We claim descent from Hazrat Ayub Ansari who was a companion of the prophet. I think a lot of this scheduled caste business is to reap extra benefits from the state. Seriously! Because there is no concept of caste among Ansaris. Furthermore my mothers side was royalty. Land was allotted by Oudh governor and governor of Lucknow to Qutb Uddin Ansari Shaheed for his support to Akbar and he advised him on a lot of things.

Anyway lets get back on track. Nawabs of oudh-about the creation of their state:

Establishment
Burhan ul Mulk Sa'adat Khan
Safdarjung

As the Moghul power declined and the emperors lost their paramountcy and they became first the puppets and then the prisoners of their feudatories, so Awadh grew stronger and more independent. Its capital city was Faizabad.

Of all the Muslim states and dependencies of the Mughal empire, Awadh had the newest royal family. They were descended from a Persian adventurer called Sa'adat Khan, originally from the city of Nishapur.[3] There were many Khurasanis in the service of the Mughals, mostly soldiers, and if successful, they could hope for rich rewards. Burhan ul Mulk Sa'adat Khan proved to be amongst the most successful of this group. In 1732, he was made governor of the province of Awadh. His original title was Nazim, which means Governor, but soon he was made Nawab. In 1740, the Nawab was called Wazir or vizier, which means Chief Minister, and thereafter he was known as the Nawab Wazir. In practice, from Sa'adat Khan onwards, the titles had been hereditary, though in theory they were in the gift of the Mughal emperor, to whom allegiance was paid. A nazar, or token tribute, was sent each year to Delhi, and members of the imperial family were treated with great deference; two of them actually lived in Lucknow after 1819, and were treated with great courtesy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do note here Saadat Khan was a Persianized Pashtun.

I am a Kamboh, a tribe believed to be the descendents of the ancient Kambojas who were an Indo-Iranian people who lived in what are today the northern parts of Pakistan and Eastern Afghanistan. They originally emerged probably out of Central Asia (Parama Kamboja is mentioned in the Mahabharata, and probably means todays Tajikistan). Eventually they moved down to Punjab and most became Hindus or Buddhists (Kshatriyas). With the advent of Islam a large chunk of Kambohs became Muslim and today the majority of Kambohs are Muslim on the Pakistani side of Punjab and Sikh on the Indian side of Punjab (known as Kamboj there). A smaller community of Kambohs also further moved to the UP. Kambohs played an important role during the Mughal Empire as noted by Abul Fazl ("Ain-i-Akbari of Abu-Al-Fazal Alami (Trans. H. Blochman) informs us that it was a matter of distinction to belong to the Kamboh lineage during the reigns of Mughal emperors like Akbar and Jahangir .[32][33][34][35]" Kamboj - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and many important Kambohs emerged in the service of the Emperors like Shahbaz Khan Kamboh.
Moving forward to the Pakistan movement, Nawab Waqar Ul Mulk who was one of the founding fathers of the Muslim League and a close friend of Sir Syed was also a Kamboh. Nevertheless most Kambohs merged in with the other tribes in Punjab especially Arains and as such the Kamboh community is quite small and not so well known today.

Moving to ethnicities my maternal grandparents are Kamboh who moved to Pakistan from the Indian side of Punjab in the 40s. My paternal grandfather was born in the area that is today the border of KPK and Punjab (thats where our lands were as per my father), but my great grandfather moved to Lahore permanently and sold those lands. We have a haveli in the andron shehr area of Lahore (which is sadly today in ruins). I dont know how long it has been in our family. Maybe my great grandfather bought it after selling his lands, I dont know. My paternal grandmother is from a Kashmiri family also settled in the androon shehr area of Lahore. That should sum me up :D

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom