What's new

16th December 1971: From East Pakistan to Bangladesh

Most of Pakistanis were not born in 1971, but even our elders dont hold any grudges.

Many Pakistanis think it was a blessing in disguise.

Before 1971, East Pakistan's (Bangladesh) population was much more than West Pakistan's (Pakistan) population.

If we were still one country, today Pakistan's population would be more than 300 million and our cities would've been more populated with much more ethnic conflicts.

Pakistanis are not like indians, we hold no grudges of an event when most Pakistanis were not even alive and we wish Bangladesh all the best.

First of all this thread is not about Kashmir

And this is the naked truth about protest
Money was behind Kashmir protests: Militant leader
Sure this thread is not about kashmir but this thread concerns with india too with its role in 1971 war.and there is bangladesh analogy wrt kashmir on same indian subcontinent for another war of liberation.And that the news article u ve posted we i just too fool youself to keep u ignominious about kashmir struggle.

In the case of East Pakistan, it was not nationalism. They did not perceived themselves to be a different nation than Pakistan, they just loved their culture and traditions. The Bengali culture is different and beautiful,no doubt about it,all cultures are.

The creation of Bangladesh was a combination of hosts of issues which were simmering for a while and were not addressed.The Elites ignored the strong affiliation that Bengalis feel with their culture and the Bengalis misunderstood the strong feeling that Pakistanis have for their motherland. There were misconceptions and suspicions on both side.

We lost the Unity between us which gave room to outsiders to weaken our Faith in each other and in the idea of Pakistan,and when things became nasty,we lost our Discipline.Brothers butchered brothers without any hesitation.

Things could have been handled much better,West Pakistanis should have recognized and appreciated the Bengali culture and its significance to the East Pakistanis, and East Pakistanis should have been more circumspect.After all,today we live in a Pakistan,where one province is named after an ethnic group(i.e KP),and another just celebrated its culture with pride with no reservations from anyone else.(Sindhi Topi and Ajrak Day) :pakistan:

Nice thoughts!
Only one question- When do you see all that reaching fruition?
In your lifetime, perhaps?

In the meanwhile, Good Wishes to the Republic of Bangladesh. May the Bangladeshi people and the Republic achieve their rightful place and all the progress and prosperity that is indeed their destiny!
even british used to tell sun never sets on british empire...where it is now????

There is also a certain section which states that Mujib was never interested in independence..his wish was rights.. but the west pakistan establishment did not allow him an inch.
Whether true or not.. the chance to avert this was lost in 1970..
and anybody who would have tried to change the direction of events..would have been killed by the Mukti bahni's .or RAW...
People admire Bhutto's tearing of the resolution in the UN..
but think about it..
had the ceasefire been accepted.. the PA would not have had to surrender..
they could have simply withdrawn..and the capitulation in Shimla would not have happened.

There are other authors..who quote people from the Hyeson corporation(close to the PPP).. who even predicted the time period for the separation of the eastern wing..as they considered it a white elephant for the rest of Pakistan's business interest..as the Golden yarn was no longer what it used to be.

And in some way.. I personally feel the separation of bangladesh left pakistan to the real Jackals.. the maudoodi (and various others) inspired "revivalists"..
Since the Hindu population of Bangladesh would have provided some balance to these misguided souls.

Still.. it was this Hindu population that formed the initial core of the Mukti Bahni..
however.. instead of tackling it smartly..our establishment chose the most idiotic approach possible.
Even in the employment of forces.. "tiger(read pussycat)" niazi used the worst possible tactic for his forces. deliberately spreading them thin..

Fate.. it seems.had planned Bangladesh from the start..or were the Bengali's simply tired of pledge never fulfilled and tired of the same history.
Fate..it seems had no love for Pakistan...or are the Pakistani's never tired of repeating history.....

And here I thought it was Cheney alone who was the bloodthirsty second coming of vlad the impaler, while all the while I should have been attacking US gov and society, from where Cheney sprung forth. What a lovely, peaceful and conciliatory world view you have!
2nd post, 1st disappeared

This is not clear to me, can you explain your ideas more fully?

THE WAY I SAW IT

During the Liberation War of 1971, I was a student of class seven and reading in a residential school. Following the address of Sk Mujib our school was closed and we were sent home. In those days our communication system were not that good. Most of us had to depent on railway line. Our home was in greater Dinajpur district. So on 10/12 March 1971 I went to my home at around 11/12 pm. During those days almost everyday there was a hartal and procession. We used to enjoy all these slogans like "Joy Bangla, Tomar Amar Thikana, Padma- Meghna-Jumuna".

So, one day I went along with my mama to enjoy a Circus and"Jatra Party" on a "bail gari". It was on 21/22 March. In the circus party I enjoyed a song, " Piare bango bondhu Sk Mujibur Rahman, tu chahe, tu dede bangalee apni jane", then the whole night I enjoyed the "Jattra Party". But than suddenly some Awami Leaque leaders came and started poltical speech and said that from here we have to go for a procession in protest against Yahya Khan and so it started. I was fleeling very drowsy but still shouted with a loud voice , "Joy Bangla".

My home was in a village closer to a Thana HQ(around 3 km). On 26 March 1971 I saw in all the houses the flag of Bangladesh(Map of E Pak engraved at the middle). I also stealed one flag and and placed at the top of our house. At that time I hardly understand any politics. One day I heard that there was some problem in Dinajpur and Thakurgaon in EPR wing and than we come to know all clear and everything is under EPR control. By this time all non-Bengalies were killed in EPR, however it took 3/4 days fighting with them. Even in BOPs all non-Bengalies were killed. Then one day some EPR personnels came to our area and killed all Biharees. All Police and civil administration coperated with them. At that time all Pakistani Army were concentrated at Rangpur and Saidpur. Some of the Bengali soldiers who mutineed also came to our area and we used to hear all horror stories of Pakistan Army. Then all these EPR and soldiers were organised along with new recruits marched towards Saidpur.(To be continued)

Not sure what is unclear. What would you like me to explain?
The connection between my comment, "The power structure, the sum total of government decision-making by individuals, was held sufficient to denounce the entire institution" and your comment, "all the while I should have been attacking US gov and society...What a lovely, peaceful and conciliatory world view you have!"

The connection between my comment, "The power structure, the sum total of government decision-making by individuals, was held sufficient to denounce the entire institution" and your comment, "all the while I should have been attacking US gov and society...What a lovely, peaceful and conciliatory world view you have!"

You skipped over the part about Cheney, which is probably why you didn't get the connection. If I were to follow your logic, then I would arrive at the conclusion below:

The power structure in the US, which allows rich ex-CEOs with deep vested interests, such as Cheney to ascend to the highest offices and then unleash wars upon the world - an action that cannot but be the "sum-total of government decision-making" - should then be sufficient to condemn the "entire institution" from whence Cheney arose. That institution actually happens to be not one, but many institutions in Cheney's case... the US political parties, bureaucracy, corporate america and so on.

Thank God I don't buy in to your argument, otherwise I would be accusing practically all of America (i.e. all the institutions Cheney was a part of) for the misery Cheney and his ilk unleashed upon millions of innocent people across the world.

I would argue that that is incorrect - ZA Bhutto and the Military leadership that decided on a particular course of action are no longer around. You can only hold individuals accountable, not the entire institution, especially years later.

The thing is you can argue that ZA Bhutto has gone, but you know Kal bhi Bhutto Zinda tha, aj bhi Bhutto zinda hai :P

With that I mean the core issue of injustice. Fundamentally the Bangladeshis were open to Indian incitement because of the injustices levied upon them. Like in any power struggle these are oft exaggerated. But there is no point in excusing yourself with that.

Then the issue of greed of our leadership. Fill their coffers while the rest of the country goes down the drain.

The army may not be doing the excesses in Pakistan today, but the uniformed authorities are still doing the baton charge upon lawyers and protesters.

Ayub's injustice and inequalities were half the blow, and Bhutto's greed the other.

That said, I don't think India's role in the events should be ignored and white washed either.

Washed? No. Forgiven, maybe. Forgiving is not the same as forgetting.

Just to give an example, we were in the wrong, mostly, back then. We can't link Bangladesh with Kashmir. We are in the right with Kashmir. We are 100% in the right and India 100% in the wrong. Being in the right gives you strength that will ultimately reflect in the outcomes.

When I talk about India - I just mean that, those events should not define our view of India. As once again India would use this to exaggerate these bitter sentiments towards Bangladeshis and once again the cycle will repeat itself in pushing Bangladeshis towards them.

At some point this cycle of mistrust between us has to be broken.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

whats wrong with the mods? every thread related to the vicotry day celebration is being deleted. Isn't it obvious that we being Bangladeshi will create threads regarding it.? You people are acting like noobs:tdown:
That's because there is a sticky thread put up here. Shouldn't be too much of an ask to create only one thread on the one topic.

With that I mean the core issue of injustice. Fundamentally the Bangladeshis were open to Indian incitement because of the injustices levied upon them. Like in any power struggle these are oft exaggerated. But there is no point in excusing yourself with that.

Then the issue of greed of our leadership. Fill their coffers while the rest of the country goes down the drain.
Well, completely agree there. The discontent in various parts of the country has at its core the issues you outlined.
The army may not be doing the excesses in Pakistan today, but the uniformed authorities are still doing the baton charge upon lawyers and protesters.
And again I must rise to the defence of Gen. Kiyani - I believe he was adamantly against deploying the military against the Long March protesters, as Zardari allegedly wished to do in order to control them.

You skipped over the part about Cheney, which is probably why you didn't get the connection. If I were to follow your logic, then I would arrive at the conclusion below:

The power structure in the US, which allows rich ex-CEOs with deep vested interests, such as Cheney to ascend to the highest offices and then unleash wars upon the world - an action that cannot but be the "sum-total of government decision-making" - should then be sufficient to condemn the "entire institution" from whence Cheney arose. That institution actually happens to be not one, but many institutions in Cheney's case... the US political parties, bureaucracy, corporate america and so on.

Thank God I don't buy in to your argument, otherwise I would be accusing practically all of America (i.e. all the institutions Cheney was a part of) for the misery Cheney and his ilk unleashed upon millions of innocent people across the world.
I do believe that it is a version of Solomon2's argument that Al Qaeda used to justify the massacre of 3,000 innocents on 9/11, along with their other attacks/attempted attacks.

Back
Top Bottom