What's new

16th December 1971: From East Pakistan to Bangladesh

Very controversial video. A lot of claims were made - and almost none were substantiated. Obviously Awami league-rs oppose the video as far as the comments go in YouTube (the very concept of 'the father of the nation' has been laid open for examination like that of a body in a morgue), but half the ideas or suppositions put forth are not entirely without merit. As time goes by - events will start to be re-examined - there is no such thing as dogma or as we say in Bengali 'Dhrubo-shotto' (cardinal truth). And I don't think anti-AL forces need Pakistani help to produce such a video as claimed by the comments. Pakistan has way too many problems of their own to field right now.

Some of the things noted in the video are indeed true. These are all commonly known facts self-evident in Bangladesh nowadays,
  1. The Sheikh was safely couped up in a Pakistani Jail - he did not face hardships of war or torture.
  2. He was happy with a separate parliament in Dhaka and even partial self-rule before 1971, he did not want Independence when he was negotiating with Bhutto (this is not what he spoke of in political gatherings but the actual baseline he negotiated from with Bhutto. This is well documented. Of course Bhutto's ADHD-induced folly and Yahya's drunken decision-making were also factors but even in the absence of those Bangladesh was to become independent anyhow, the Sheikh consenting or not. The 4000 ton train was already in full motion, none of the actors in the melee had power to stop the event...
  3. The entire 'govt. in exile' of Bangladesh was safely in Mujibnagar (near Meherpur, Kushtia, a town not far from the Indian border). This large section of Awami league-ers were being protected by the Indian military and never saw any combat.
So - whither now with this realization? The point is - like always, it's always the common man who feels the spirit of independence and fights the dirty wars of the 'Bada Aadmi'. Then the Bada Aadmi's wife/daughter leads the country and stashes billions in Swiss accounts. The common man/woman has to be happy with some token plaque or medal made of brass worth about fifteen dollars.

Last edited:
Here is what the British High Commissioner, Sir Maurice James had to say about Bhutto,
" Bhutto certainly had the right qualities for reaching the heights--drive, charm, imagination, a quick and penetrating mind, zest for life, eloquence, energy, a strong constitution, a sense of humor, and a thick skin. Such a blend is rare anywhere, and Bhutto deserved his swift rise to power.......
But there was -- how shall I put it?-- a rank odour of hellfire about him. It was a case of CORRUPTO OPTIMA PESSOMA a flawed angel. I believe that at heart he lacked a sense of dignity and value of other people; his own self was what counted. I sensed in him a ruthlessness and capacity for ill-doing which went far beyond what is natural.
Except at university abroad, he was surrounded by mediocrities, and all his life, for want of competition, his triumphs came too easily for his own good. Lacking humility, he thus came to believe himself infallible, even when yawning gaps his own experience (e.g. of military matters) laid him---as over the 1965 war--wide open to disastrous error.
Despite his gifts, I judged that one day Bhutto would destroy himself -- when, I could not tell. In 1965, I so reported in one of my dispatches from Pakistan as British High Commissioner. I wrote by way of clinching the point that BHUTTO WAS BORN TO BE HANGED. {emphasis added}. I did not intend this comment as a precise prophecy of what was going to happen to him, but fourteen years later that was what it turned out to be". MAN PROPOSES, GOD DISPOSES. HIS HANGING MAY NOT HAVE BEEN FOR THE ALLEGED MURDER BUT HE DESERVED TO DIE FOR HIS ROLE IN BREAK UP OF PAKISTAN.”

Secret Affidavit of Yahya Khan
Edited by: Abu Rushd, Bangla Desh
First Edition: February 2009

Published by: Bangladesh Defence Journal
"It was Bhutto, not Mujib, who broke Pakistan. Bhutto's stance in 1971 and his stubbornness harmed Pakistan's solidarity much more than Sheikh Mujib's six-point demand.
It was his high ambitions and rigid stance that led to rebellion in East Pakistan. He riled up the Bengalis and brought an end to Pakistan's solidarity. East Pakistan broke away."
The above statement was made by former President of Pakistan General Aga Muhammed Yahya Khan (February 4, 1971– August 10, 1980) in his secret Affidavit placed with the Lahore High Court.
Twenty-seven years after his death, in December 2005 the Pakistan government released this document for public information. In this affidavit, Yahya Khan describes many sensational incidents that occurred before the 1971 war and after, during his rule. He writes of his role as President, his shortcomings, of how he was used like a pawn in a chess game. He speaks of traitors behind the scenes, of the roles played by Bhutto and Mujib, of how and why the Pakistan army cracked down on Bengalis, how far the Generals were responsible, who were behind the genocide and so on.
Other than the Hamudur Rahman Commission Report of 1972, this is the only publication containing the statements of Yahya Khan, giving his version of the events of 1971.
Once the war ended, Bhutto immediately took over power and placed President Yahya Khan under house arrest. The Bhutto government treated Yahya Khan and his family ruthlessly. When General Ziaul Huq came to power in 1977, he released Yahya Khan. It was then that Yahya decided on this affidavit, to record his statements for posterity. He made this affidavit through Advocate Manzur Ahmed Rana of the Lahore High Court.
The affidavit consists of 57 pages. Before the affidavit was filed with the court, Yahya Khan carefully scrutinised each typed page in May 1978 at his house in Rawalpindi . He made a few amendments here and there and then signed the document, declaring it to be the truth.
After a long spell of illness, this military ruler finally breathed his last in August 1980 in the house of his brother Muhammad Ali in Lahore .
In his affidavit, Yahya Khan states how the government had been pushed back against the wall. Awami League President Sheikh Mujibur Rahman gained immense power and Yahya Khan could not accept his attitude.
He says that Mujib had brought the administration to a standstill. This was unacceptable, intolerable. This was a rebellion against the government.
He says that there was no alternative to military action against this uprising. He says he did not launch Operation Searchlight on March 25, 1971 at the behest of Bhutto or anyone else.
He issued these order in his capacity as President and Army Chief in order to quell the uprising.
Yahya Khan, in this document, is unwilling to accept that the cessation of East Pakistan and the surrender of the Pakistan army as a military defeat. He says this is was a naked conspiracy of India. He berates India and Russia for their role in this regard and has all gratitude for the United States and China for their support.
He terms Mujib as a patriot, but says that Awami League had a section of radical leftists who were instigating him. They did not want to relinquish the opportunity to materialise India's long cherished dream of breaking up Pakistan.
According to Yahya Khan, it was Tikka Khan who issued the orders to capture Mujib dead or alive.
Bhutto had wanted to hang Mujib. Mujib was prepared to change his six-point demand if necessary. The news of America's Seventh Fleet and China's involvement in the war were rumours. Yahya claims that in the end he wanted to leave East Pakistan's power in the hands of Awami League.
Abu Rushd, editor of the Secret Affidavit of Yahya Khan, is a journalist. He is the Editor of Bangladesh Defence Journal.
His interest lies in investigative journalism, particularly in the fields of security and defence. He has dealt in this sector while working for various dailies in the past. It is his interest in this field that led him to publish this particular book and also to publish the Secret Affidavit of Yahya Khan in Bangladesh Defence Journal and in Amar Desh, a daily newspaper from Dhaka.
This 112-page book devotes 48 pages to the original text and 24 pages to some rare photographs. It also contains a life sketch of Yahya Khan as well as Rushd's comments on the affidavit.
The book has been dedicated to Bir Shrestha Ruhul Amin who gave his life for the country (BD) in 1971.
The book is undoubtedly of interest to those interested in the history of the "Liberation War".
Abu Rushd says, "Gen. Yahya is nothing but a villain in our history but his accounts on 1971 surely are valuable and matters of reference in pursuing historical evidences. I hope this affidavit will make us know Yahya's part of the quagmire imposed upon us forcibly and unjustly by the Pak military junta."

Yahya Khan, in this document, is unwilling to accept that the cessation of East Pakistan and the surrender of the Pakistan army as a military defeat. He says this is was a naked conspiracy of India. He berates India and Russia for their role in this regard and has all gratitude for the United States and China for their support.
He terms Mujib as a patriot, but says that Awami League had a section of radical leftists who were instigating him. They did not want to relinquish the opportunity to materialise India's long cherished dream of breaking up Pakistan.
Significant
Abu Rushd says, "Gen. Yahya is nothing but a villain in our history but his accounts on 1971 surely are valuable and matters of reference in pursuing historical evidences. I hope this affidavit will make us know Yahya's part of the quagmire imposed upon us forcibly and unjustly by the Pak military junta."
Gen. Yahya definitely had his flaws. but is India the saviour in that "our history"?

what about the quagmire imposed on entire United Pakistan by India, Russia and their agents particularly in East Pak?

Remember, remember, the 16th of December
The RAWAMI Treason and plot;
I see of no reason why RAWAMI Treason
Should ever be forgot.
:lol:

Now Imagine a RAWAMI guy named Lungi fawkes :rofl:

Rare video: Bangladeshi freedom fighters are taking oath in 1971 | Page 12

@extra terrestrial

there is nothing subjective about who was what in 1971. the Bengali Muslims who fought against their own nation (East Pakistan) were traitors - they fought FOR India and USSR.

this is not a freedom fighter-terrorist dilemma. from natives' POV, whoever works FOR the enemy (India) is a traitor. and whoever works FOR their country is a patriot or plain sane citizen. apart from a handful of extremist ultra-leftists, no Bengali voted PAL to make their country an Indian property period.

stop this sentiment because that is the rubbish that the BAL dominated media and education system taught us (including myself). there is nothing subjective; a traitor is a traitor. many Bengali irregulars ("muktis") realized very soon after 1971 that they were fighting against THEMSELVES and serving Indo-Soviet interests. some of those irregulars as well known as Kadir Siddiqui are beginning to realize that at present. my own relatives got shipment of arms to fight as "muktis". unfortunately there was a lot of messy incidents that shares no resemblance to the epic heroism narrative India and our India-dominated system promotes.

Rare video: Bangladeshi freedom fighters are taking oath in 1971 | Page 12

@extra terrestrial

there is nothing subjective about who was what in 1971. the Bengali Muslims who fought against their own nation (East Pakistan) were traitors - they fought FOR India and USSR.

this is not a freedom fighter-terrorist dilemma. from natives' POV, whoever works FOR the enemy (India) is a traitor. and whoever works FOR their country is a patriot or plain sane citizen. apart from a handful of extremist ultra-leftists, no Bengali voted PAL to make their country an Indian property period.

stop this sentiment because that is the rubbish that the BAL dominated media and education system taught us (including myself). there is nothing subjective; a traitor is a traitor. many Bengali irregulars ("muktis") realized very soon after 1971 that they were fighting against THEMSELVES and serving Indo-Soviet interests. some of those irregulars as well known as Kadir Siddiqui are beginning to realize that at present. my own relatives got shipment of arms to fight as "muktis". unfortunately there was a lot of messy incidents that shares no resemblance to the epic heroism narrative India and our India-dominated system promotes.
I am truly amazed by your comments. Are there still some people in former East Pakistan who think like this?

I am truly amazed by your comments. Are there still some people in former East Pakistan who think like this?

Very few. I partially agree with khair_ctg and I do believe 71 was a disaster and India was the ultimate winner. But most young gen people have no love-lost feeling for PAK contrary to what awami media wants to portray. 71 issue is being kept alive by hasina and BAL as its their bread and butter. On the other hand fabrication of history and indo-awami propaganda narrative has made sure that people remain ignorant of 71 history. But AL is a minority in today's BD and only in power with overt backing of a resurgent India.

Very few. I partially agree with khair_ctg and I do believe 71 was a disaster and India was the ultimate winner. But most young gen people have no love-lost feeling for PAK contrary to what awami media wants to portray. 71 issue is being kept alive by hasina and BAL as its their bread and butter. On the other hand fabrication of history and indo-awami propaganda narrative has made sure that people remain ignorant of 71 history. But AL is a minority in today's BD and only in power with overt backing of a resurgent India.
Actually when I went to States to do my post-doc, for the first few months I shared an apartment with 4 Bengali folks. Three were younger whereas one was about 50 years old. They never made me feel that I was an outsider, in-fact helped me as much as they could. The older guy could speak Urdu and he preferred to converse in Urdu instead of English. However, I was (and they were too) careful not to discuss about 1971 saga. But then this is how most expatriates (even Indians) behave irrespective of their political inclinations.

What happened back then was truly sad and I believe Quid-e-Azam should have awarded East Pakistan full provincial autonomy right from the beginning. It would have been good for both sides, and saved countless lives. I don't think India was the ultimate winner (neither of three were) for the former East Pakistan emerged as an independent Muslim majority country and a member of the United Nation. India would have won had former East Pakistan annexed with India in any form, which did not happen.

Last edited:
Actually when I went to States to do my post-doc, for the first few months I shared an apartment with 4 Bengali folks. Three were younger whereas one was about 50 years old. They never made me feel that I was an outsider, in-fact helped me as much as they could. The older guy could speak Urdu and he preferred to converse in Urdu instead of English. However, I was (and they were too) careful not to discuss about 1971 saga. But then this is how most expatriates (even Indians) behave irrespective of their political inclinations.

Off course they won't. U think BDs will come after u for 71. :lol: The image of BD portrayed by AL media is very different from reality. Every single TV channel is owned by AL party men with many news papers and TVs having Indian editors and management at the top. Many major Op. media outlets have been banned while those that remain have to work under very hostile environment. That's how precarious the scenario is in BD right now. India has total control. Btw people were actually getting passed 71 before AL was bought into power due to the result of an US-india coup in 2007. Had they failed in 2007, u wouldn't have seen all these fanaticism regarding 71. Brainwashing is going on pretty much unhindered though.

Bottom line is BD is not a politically monolithic society just like all the other nations. Don't brush all BDs with the same brush. BDs don't want to eat Pak citizens alive whether its in US or in BD. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom