What's new

Delta Wings---Quantum Radar---Rafel---grippen---Eurofighter:---

And what's your point? No one ever said any lights weren't visible. He said he only saw them "at touchdown" so I don't know what you're arguing about. I even corrected him by listing the exact times that the tower and deck lights become visible in the video, at a few hundred meters prior to touchdown.

Amazing how you're minimizing the visibility these guys have to deal with and try to make it sound like it's so easy because you think the lights are visible to the pilot from "kilometers away". Ritchy, that's so ridiculous it's not even funny.

Watch more testimony from naval pilots about how difficult it is to see during nighttime carrier ops and specifically landings (if you go to airshows, you can even talk to the pilots, and they'll tell you). I even mentioned how the US Navy shuts down the carrier lights with the exception of a few important ones on the tower and the landing strip to make it less noticeable to the enemy. You'll see how minimal lights are on in the video below.

We've been boating and fishing at nighttime for a while now because many species of fish are active at night and I rely heavily on my radar (even without fog) because some of the hazards such as metal docks, buoys and especially other boats show up better on the screen than eyesight and are slightly positioned differently than what's showing on my GPS, despite lots of lighting on the shore, that actually creates distortion and makes you not see the things that aren't lit. Even when I set waypoints on my GPS to follow and having accurate coordinates with corresponding heading, it's still scary as hell because the visibility is terrible on the ocean in pitch black conditions.

These guys also rely heavily on their HUD & navigational instruments between radar, GPS and tower/LSO commands for the final approach.

A short recording of the head's up display (HUD) of a U.S. Navy F/A-18E landing aboard an aircraft carrier at night in 15–20-foot seas and grabbing the target three wire. The correction calls on the radio are from the landing signals officer (LSO) on the boat to help guide me aboard. And yes, it really is this dark. The circle in the middle of the video is the velocity vector which is my primary navigation instrument. The ball call consists of the aircraft side number, type of aircraft "Rhino", the amount of fuel on board in thousands of pounds, and finally "auto" which means I am using auto-throttles which respond to my control inputs with power on or power off.

Hardly lit enough to see from kilometers away.
Actual research shows that you can see a candle at up to 2 km away.

The lights used on a carrier would be brighter than a candle.
Poor visibility would reduce the range.

One of the most impressive demonstrations I've seen in a while. I'd say this is probably the better of all 3 Eurocanards and all 4 overall combined in fast and low speed maneuverability. The photography in this video is insanely beautiful making both Rafales look like RC toys, especially when flying at high speeds and doing barrel rolls and loops.

One thing I've grown accustomed to seeing from a Rafale demo like this is how well-trained these French pilots are. The control they have on these jets is really like none other with the exception of F-22 pilots. Those guys also exude the aura of having complete mastery of their aircraft from intensive training combined with high amounts of hours in the platform. You don't get to be one with the machine like this with just 100 hours of flight time.

The other thing I've grown accustomed to is how they always seem to enjoy ending the demonstration by performing a nerve-numbing Split-S maneuver right before landing. As a matter of fact, he's dropping the landing gear right at the downward portion of the split-s and right before touchdown. You can see the start of the maneuver @ minute 17:20.

And an insane negative G pushover turn @ min 9:27 - 9:39.

Last edited:
I didn't want to open a whole new thread for this news, figured this was the best place for it.

Rafale continuing its export fortune.

Historic moment as Croatia receives its first Rafale fighter aircraft​

Story by Harry McNeil •1h

1696339829934.png

The acquisition of these NATO-compatible aircraft is sufficient for the next 30 years or more, according to expert usage predictions in Croatian Air Force. Source: Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Croatia

In a historic event at the Mont-de-Marsan Air Base, Croatia officially acquired its first Rafale multirole combat aircraft, marking a milestone in its capabilities.

This 12 NATO-compatible Rafale aircraft acquisition is expected to secure Croatia's Croatia's for the next three decades and beyond.

Croatia celebrated the official handover of its very first Rafale multirole combat aircraft. This event symbolises the exchange of ownership from the French Republic to the Republic of Croatia and signifies a leap in Croatia's capabilities.

Preparations for the handover had been underway, with members of the French Air Force and the Croatian Armed Forces ensuring the aircraft for this occasion.

The ceremony was attended by several high-ranking Croatian officials, including Defence Minister Mario Banožić, Head of the Prime Minister'sMinister'sonimir Frka-Petešić, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Croatian Veterans' Veterans'omo Medved, and a delegation from the Croatian Armed Forces led by Chief of General Staff Admiral Robert Hranj.

The Rafale aircraft is manufactured by the French company Dassault Aviation. These twin-engine multirole fighter aircraft belong to the 4.5+ generation and are known for their versatility and advanced technology.

Source.

1696340015843.png

1696340110678.png

Back
Top Bottom