What's new

Egypt K-8 Karakorum trainer for IAF?

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
The Indian Air Force’s crisis in training its pilots saw a farcical twist recently when an Egyptian diplomat posted in India helpfully offered Cairo’s assistance. The Egyptian Air Force, he suggested to a senior IAF officer, could send a training team to Hyderabad, along with several of its trainer aircraft, the K-8 Karakorum. Was the Egyptian aware that the Karakorum trainer has been jointly developed by Pakistan and China? Nobody is certain but, since the offer was not followed up in writing, the Indian Air Force (IAF) was spared the embarrassment of having to reply.

Scrabbling for solutions

I dont think India will buy an aircraft that is being used by the Pakistan Air Force.

You guys always keep calling "Cheap Chinese ACs." What happend now. Why are you guys even considering these Low class, cheap, outdated, not fit to fly, BS planes.

Don't worry! this was offered by Egypt but not yet accepted by India. So wait for some confirmed news before getting into any kind a conclusion.:pop:

I dont think India will buy an aircraft that is being used by the Pakistan Air Force.

Well it is not about IAF buying the aircraft. The Egyptian diplomat made an offer to the IAF (informally) of sending egyptian K-8's to help India with stage-1 of pilot training being our good friends. What he or the reporter who has written the original article may have forgotten is that the JL-8 is for basic jet training (stage-2 in IAF) for which we use Surya-kirans and which have not been grounded (unlike deepak's which have been grounded) :disagree:.

Moreover, HJT-36 is already under LSP so I believe IJT will not go to a foreign vendor.

Cheap Chinese junk keeps the Egyptian pilots from dying in their ab initio training. The same goes for PAF pilots. Unfortunately having access to the best hardware has not resolved IAF's fundamental training problems resulting in considerable potential talent falling victim to attrition.

I can put my money on another bet. The cheap Chinese junk is about as good or better than what you guys assemble in India including MKIs and whatever else you lay a claim to. Calling the Chinese products "cheap junk" most likely makes you feel better, even though the reality is that Chinese manufacturing and R&D is leagues ahead of what you folks are doing in India. The Chinese may have cheaper products, but at least they can fall back upon themselves and fight their own wars. Something that India can only dream about.

Get the logistics and training sorted out before buying best off the shelf. There are more fundamental problems on hand besides the hardware within the IAF.

Last edited:
Not only used

Quote from wiki

'The Hongdu JL-8 (or Nanchang JL-8), also known as the K-8 Karakorum, is a two-seat intermediate jet trainer and light attack aircraft built in joint-cooperation between the People's Republic of China (China Nanchang Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation) and Pakistan (Pakistan Aeronautical Complex).'

any specific reason why egypt offered us K-8 Karakorum:hang2:

it was pakistan who gave them technology and now they are selling our technology to our rivals???, pathetic isnt it

The basic problem is the desired numbers of Hawk-132 being not available (currently only 29),44 Hawks by now should have been inducted, as there were disputes btw HAL and Bae systems ........as this chapter is now seen as resolved as Bae had bigger stake in the form of Eurofighter in MMRCA so as soon as we induct all these trainers along with the basic trainers ordered in the new tender everything will be all right :cheers:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom