What's new

Embraer Develops platform for DRDO AWACS ,20 more to be ordered

L-band has its own advantages thats why most of the AWACS are L-band including our Phalcon and DRDO AWACS.

A small correction in my previous post , DRDO AWACS Brochure I posted had design of two modules
L band tech is now discarded .
Out of those two design i posted the S-Band version was made more refined and is now selected by CABS for AEW.

The AEW & CS’ S-band pulse-Doppler active phased-array radar will operate within the 2GHz to 4GHz bandwidth. The 8 metre-long, 900kg antenna (using 1,280 phase shifters) will be mounted on the upper dorsal spine of the aircraft’s fuselage. The radar’s dorsal unit (DU) will include the carbon-fibre radome, antenna array, RF distribution network, and 192 transmit/receive modules that will be cooled by ram-air. Each such module will comprise a power amplifier for the transmitted microwave signal, low-noise amplifiers as front-ends for the receiver channels, and phase shifters for accurate control of the signal phase in both transmit and receive modes. In the latter, amplification of the signal will be controlled as well. The phases and amplitudes will be continuously calibrated. Each T/R module will be connected to one vertical slotted waveguide on each side. An electronic switch in the module will select the side. By feeding the slotted waveguide separately in the upper and lower half, the beam will be shifted in elevation for height measurement. This shifting will be conducted by single-step phase shifters in the front-ends of the modules. A module-control databus will provide control of the modules to achieve instantaneous antenna beam-steering and the very low sidelobes required. A receiver/exciter processor will generate the pulsed microwave signals and send them to the antenna. It will also accept the received signals from the DU and generate both digitised video signals for signals processing as well as data signals for steering the beam. The transmit drive signal will be generated by a frequency synthesizer and will be up-converted and modulated for pulse compression (using polyphase coding), and will be amplified before being sent to the DU. A programmable signal-and-data processor will receive the returned radar signals from the receiver/exciter via optical data links in digitised quadrature video format. The radial velocity of detected airborne targets will be determined from the Doppler frequency via combined signals from the T/R modules. By combining these signals, the processor will modify the effective antenna sidelobe pattern to place nulls in the direction of hostile jammers. The processor will also perform coherent integration by Fast Fourier Transform that will form a Doppler filter bank. This will be followed by pulse compression, constant false alarm rate processing and binary integration. Due to all this, the AESA radar’s processor will generate clutter- and interference-free position data for all targets.

Thanks to
Prasun K Sengupta (For the above correction)
Defence Editor and Journalist

What is the expected detection rage of the DRDO AWACS in air, on the ground and on sea.

Also will it be able to detect all the missiles that Pakistan has or is expected to field in the next 5 years

This is a good move by the GOI...

Keep the Phalcon for strategic uses and utilise this realtively low range yet cheap AWACS for tactical battlefield surveillance.

I wonder why we need so many, I am seeing day by day world is adding more arms. Why can't we get over issue and be more peaceful at this rate 3rd WW is not very far.

^^since 3rd world war is not very far..why not arm yourself to death..this is the mantra every country is following..no one wants to be ill-equipped at the 11th hour..

I wonder why we need so many, I am seeing day by day world is adding more arms. Why can't we get over issue and be more peaceful at this rate 3rd WW is not very far.

Deterrence!
India lies possibly in the most dangerous neighborhood in the world, who else has direct borders with 2 nuclear powers?

Also non alignment!
India is not part of any specific military alliance, if we will be attacked and we can't defend ourselfs, nobody will come to help us.

As sad it is, peace can be forced by arms too. Without Pakistan having nukes, we would have seen way more unnecessary wars between us and them. As long as both sides has the nukes and are wise enough to not use them, a major war can be avoided.

However, these AWACS aicrafts are mainly for our security of course and we need more of them, because they have to cover a large area. India has not the advantage to concentrate on one border only and like Pakistan pretty much in a straight line. So more and of course cost-effective AWACS aircrafts are important too!

20 does seem like overkill, However it may be that 20 more airframes are being ordered, not all may be fitted for AEW, some kept for crew training and others for a possible ISR platform??

20 does seem like overkill, However it may be that 20 more airframes are being ordered, not all may be fitted for AEW, some kept for crew training and others for a possible ISR platform??

quite a possibility..I agree with u on this point

Don't forget that IN also asked for shore based AWACS aircrafts and the DRDO AWACS should be an alternative here too.

According to a report I read somewhere, it said India will need at least 24 AWACS to cover its borders. This should very much answer that why we will need so many.

A small correction in my previous post , DRDO AWACS Brochure I posted had design of two modules
L band tech is now discarded .
Out of those two design i posted the S-Band version was made more refined and is now selected by CABS for AEW.

Thanks to
Prasun K Sengupta (For the above correction)
Defence Editor and Journalist

mate S-band will certainly better for many reasons. It adds the capabilities of both L band and as well few of being higher frequencies. but do you think Sengupta is a dependable source? :undecided: I think he is not, earlier many times he is found to be fraud.

Atleast BR members agree to the S band thing , if you wanna confirm check the BR forum discussion ,
I personally trust Prasun a lot , most of my info source is Prasun's Literature .
Fraud - ? ? ? Can you elaborate

I asked you a doubt regarding cruise missile detection by L-band, check out the Aerostat thread . If possible post the reasoning

I don't trust anything Prasun Chor Gupta says.

He is a copy Cat. Doosaronka kam churake apna kehta hain.

He is copy cut paste type.

Most of the times he writes fraudulent and unsubstantiated things.

Doosaronke kam ka khud credit leta hai.

^^^^^^^^^^
Looks Like Prasoon stole some of you article and Literature analysis as well .
Let me settle this isuue once for all -
AEW radar will be S-Band thats what Bharat -rakshak says + thats what wiki says + what Prasoon says

here is wiki link- Electronics and Radar Development Establishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Read the 15th point in list

and same INDIA-STRATEGIC MAGAZINE says as well .

..:: India Strategic ::.. Military Aviation: AWACS: Watchdogs of the Skies

Imp extract
The primary sensor for the AEW&C will be the indigenous AESA “S”-Band radar with adequate detection range against targets of the fighter class of aircraft. Two radiating planar arrays assembled back-to-back and mounted on top of the fuselage in an Active Antenna Array Unit (AAAU) will provide nearly 150° coverage on either side of the AAAU. The important modes of operation of the system are the surface surveillance and the air surveillance.

Atleast BR members agree to the S band thing , if you wanna confirm check the BR forum discussion ,
I personally trust Prasun a lot , most of my info source is Prasun's Literature .
Fraud - ? ? ? Can you elaborate

I asked you a doubt regarding cruise missile detection by L-band, check out the Aerostat thread . If possible post the reasoning

mate I have very little knowledge about defence matters thanks for confirmation.

Back
Top Bottom