What's new

Exercise Yudh Abhyas: US tanks to roll on Indian soil

StormShadow

Reaction score

For the first time, American tanks will roll on Indian soil in wargames codenamed 'Exercise Yudh Abhyas', which will mark the beginning of the series of military engagements scheduled between the two countries for this year.

For the first time in Indo-US wargames, Americans will deploy their tanks in the company-level Exercise Yudhabhyas scheduled to be held in the Mahajan field firing ranges in Rajasthan desert in March, army sources said.

Apart from fielding three tanks, the US will also deploy around 200 men accompanied by armoured personnel carriers for the wargames, they said.

In the last edition of the exercise, the American Army had brought its Stryker infantry combat vehicles which were being inducted into war operations in Afghanistan.

However, it is not yet clear which tanks would be deployed by the American side for the exercise.

India will filed its Russian-origin BMPs along with tanks for the wargame.

After the 'Yudh Abhyas in March', Indian Infantry troops from the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles regiment will fly to California to engage their American counterparts in the Exercise Shatrujeet.

130 troops from the 19 Jammu and Kashmir Rifles battalion will fly to California in April and engage in counter insurgency and counter terrorism drills there for the Exercise Shatrujeet, sources said.

The Special Forces of the two countries will also test their skills in a mountain exercise codenamed 'Vajra Prahar'.

60 troops from American Special Forces and an equal number of them from the Indian Army's 3 Para (Special Forces) will take part in a wargame in Chaubatia in Uttarakhand in August this year in mountain terrain.

Indian troops from 1 Para (SF) had visited Seattle last year for the Vajra Prahar exercise last year.

The Navies of the two countries are also scheduled to exercise with eachother in 2012.

Exercise Yudh Abhyas: US tanks to roll on Indian soil - Hindustan Times

may be Uncle want to check if it is easier to attack Pakistan through India :azn:, though we will not allow that

what if Abrams joins YA? will be exciting to see if happens.

Interesting. I thought it was 4 PARA (SF) who participated in "Vijay Pirahar" last year not 1 PARA (SF).

Great news all the same, I was wondering why there hadn't been a Yudh Abyhas in 2011, it seems that as a result 2012 will have 2 to make up for it. The US now has more joint ex with India than any other nation, great news!

+ would be amazing to see an Arjun working alongside a Abrams (unlikely on both sides).

3 tanks hardly matters. At least 10 plus tanks in a formation would have been logical.

We must have as many exercises with Russia and other friendly nations.

3 tanks hardly matters. At least 10 plus tanks in a formation would have been logical.

We must have as many exercises with Russia and other friendly nations.

Do you have any idea how difficult/expensive it is to transport a MBT across large distances? I believe the USMC only has ~5 in all of AFGHANISTAN so it is impractical to expect large amounts of MBTs for a joint exercise.

For the first time, American tanks will roll on Indian soil in wargames codenamed 'Exercise Yudh Abhyas', which will mark the beginning of the series of military engagements scheduled between the two countries for this year.

For the first time in Indo-US wargames, Americans will deploy their tanks in the company-level Exercise Yudhabhyas scheduled to be held in the Mahajan field firing ranges in Rajasthan desert in March, army sources said.

Apart from fielding three tanks, the US will also deploy around 200 men accompanied by armoured personnel carriers for the wargames, they said.

In the last edition of the exercise, the American Army had brought its Stryker infantry combat vehicles which were being inducted into war operations in Afghanistan.

However, it is not yet clear which tanks would be deployed by the American side for the exercise.

India will filed its Russian-origin BMPs along with tanks for the wargame.

After the 'Yudh Abhyas in March', Indian Infantry troops from the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles regiment will fly to California to engage their American counterparts in the Exercise Shatrujeet.

130 troops from the 19 Jammu and Kashmir Rifles battalion will fly to California in April and engage in counter insurgency and counter terrorism drills there for the Exercise Shatrujeet, sources said.

The Special Forces of the two countries will also test their skills in a mountain exercise codenamed 'Vajra Prahar'.

60 troops from American Special Forces and an equal number of them from the Indian Army's 3 Para (Special Forces) will take part in a wargame in Chaubatia in Uttarakhand in August this year in mountain terrain.

Indian troops from 1 Para (SF) had visited Seattle last year for the Vajra Prahar exercise last year.

The Navies of the two countries are also scheduled to exercise with eachother in 2012.

Exercise Yudh Abhyas: US tanks to roll on Indian soil - Hindustan Times

best of luck :tup:

Do you have any idea how difficult/expensive it is to transport a MBT across large distances? I believe the USMC only has ~5 in all of AFGHANISTAN so it is impractical to expect large amounts of MBTs for a joint exercise.

i am no military expert, but bringing 3 just mean showcasing the expensive toys and wont get anything productive out of it.
If you are just going to work the strategies on paper why to bring those 3 also.

its more of a diplomatic move than just military exercise...

i am no military expert, but bringing 3 just mean showcasing the expensive toys and wont get anything productive out of it.
If you are just going to work the strategies on paper why to bring those 3 also.

Ok....3 tanks is a good start for practicing ambush technique defenses in desert and in plains with terrain supporting ambush, which many forces are facing in Afghanistan and Iraq. So I think i is not a bad idea for hem to test the limits of their tank vulnerabilities.

Most of the times US brings weapons they are looking to sell. Does this mean anything?

Back
Top Bottom