What's new

Former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf arrested

BDforever

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
ISLAMABAD: Former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has been arrested by the police in Islamabad.

On Thursday morning, the Islamabad High Court had cancelled his bail in a case related to the dismissal of judges when he was Pakistan's president.
"Look who is running, Musharraf is running," lawyers at Islamabad high court chanted as former dictator Pervez Musharraf fled after the court revoked his bail and ordered arrest in a treason case. A police officer said the ex-president's men deployed at the court could have detained the former ruler, but he managed to escape. But the policemen and paramilitary soldiers at the court did not to try to prevent Musharraf from fleeing.

Senior Islamabad police officers went for negotiations to the farmhouse where Musharraf is holed up, but returned without any result. "Since he escaped and nobody tried to arrest him, his house was declared a sub-jail and he was put under house-arrest.'' The government had to act within 24 hours of the high court decision or face contempt of court.

Musharraf's close aide and lawyer Ahmad Raza Kasuri regretted the court's order, saying it had not heard his arguments. "It is a one-sided decision,'' he said. "People are asking, is this democracy? Is this the rule of law? Is this the independence of judiciary? With the passing time, the courts are maligning their image.'' Kasuri said the former president was in a relaxed mood, having his coffee and smoking cigar.

Another lawyer, Raja Mohammed Ibrahim, said he would file an appeal challenging the order on Friday.

Sources said Musharraf's lawyers filed a bail application before the apex court to prevent his arrest. But it returned his 14-page application on technical grounds.

The treason case was slapped on him for ordering detention of 60 senior judges, including supreme court Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhary, after he declared emergency and suspended the constitution in 2007. The move fuelled a nationwide lawyers' protest movement that forced Musharraf to resign under the impeachment threat.

Musharraf, who had seized power in a coup in 1999 and ruled the country for nine years, faces the death penalty or life in prison if convicted of treason. But the federal government would have to file charges against him. A lawyer had filed the petition accusing Musharraf of treason. The rejection of his bail was the second setback to the former ruler since Tuesday when he was disqualified from running in the parliamentary election scheduled for May 11.

He had braved Taliban threats and legal challenges and returned home last month after a four-year self-imposed exile to revive his political career.

source: Former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf arrested from his farmhouse - The Times of India

Perveez-Musharaf.32-400x238.jpg

Former president Pervez Musharraf was on Friday arrested from his farmhouse, according to media reports. His bail plea was rejected on Thursday by a Pakistan court in judges’ detention case and he was under house arrest in his farmhouse since last evening. Former president Pervez

Musharraf dramatically fled the Islamabad high court yesterday after judges ordered his arrest, an ignominious retreat for a man who once dominated Pakistan and hoped to revive his political fortunes.

Musharraf was whisked out of court by bodyguards in black suits and into a waiting armoured vehicle that drove him straight to his high-security farmhouse in the Chak Shahzad area.

The court had yesterday asked the police chief why his men allowed Musharraf to leave when they should have arrested him. It also declared his escape from court a criminal act.
Pakistan: Gen Pervez Musharraf arrested from his farmhouse | The News Informer

Till the wee hours of the morning, Islamabad police and Musharraf's lawyers kept working out a formula to end this impasse. If he doesn't give his arrest then he has to go to the Supreme Court. If he gives his arrest, any lower category sessions judge can give his bail post-arrest.

Only sub-jail (house arrest) will most likely be involved. His pre-arrest bail was cancelled, but he may still get post arrest bail.

The observation of the court is pretty astute.. Musharraf fleeing the scene is not strange.. That is the 1st impulse of any criminal.. What is strange is that he managed to do that from the Pakistani high court from amidst so many cops who did not raise a finger to stop him.

what ever the case, hes arrested now so lets see what happens next

Few weeks back I had asked pakistani members as to what are the chances of him getting arrested and they all said ZERO chances.

Now that he is arrested, I now ask, what are the chances that he will get assassinated in pakistan?

Few weeks back I had asked pakistani members as to what are the chances of him getting arrested and they all said ZERO chances.

Now that he is arrested, I now ask, what are the chances that he will get assassinated in pakistan?

Are you showing off the fact you have a kali zabaan?

I think assassination aspects are stronger than jail, however both chances are quite strong but this thing can be dragged on for years and years.

I think a 30 second jail like the one Gilani got is on the cards for him too and will be accepted by all parties involved. His enemies need a pound of flesh, something needs to give.

The observation of the court is pretty astute.. Musharraf fleeing the scene is not strange.. That is the 1st impulse of any criminal.. What is strange is that he managed to do that from the Pakistani high court from amidst so many cops who did not raise a finger to stop him.

The decision to levy terrorism charges were a little strange too...

what could be his punishment if proved guilty ??/anybody please..

Trial has not started, the case was just about his pre-arrest bail.

Are you showing off the fact you have a kali zabaan?

I think assassination aspects are stronger than jail, however both chances are quite strong but this thing can be dragged on for years and years.

I think a 30 second jail like the one Gilani got is on the cards for him too and will be accepted by all parties involved. His enemies need a pound of flesh, something needs to give.

Just asking questions makes one have a kaali zabban ?

Does your country's education system teach you all that kind of stuff?

This is the first time, I believe, a ex-military man has been humiliated like this, I think anything can happen now, given the fact that TTP has vowed to send him to hell.

This explains / justifies why all Pak leaders flee into ' self imposed' exile immediately after their time .

Wonder if this ' arrest' will give him mileage ?

Pervez Musharraf arrested, presented in magistrate’s court

ISLAMABAD: Police arrested former military ruler General (retd) Pervez Musharaf from his Chak Shahzad farmhouse after he fled the Islamabad High Court following his arrest orders on Thursday and presented him before the judicial magistrate, Geo News reported Friday.

According to Geo News correspondent, Pervez Musharraf along with his team of lawyers appeared before Judicial Magistrate Muhammad Abbas Shah’s court today morning under strict security. At the occasion, lawyers chanted slogans against Musharraf.

Musharraf’s lawyer pleaded the judicial magistrate to declare him judicial as his client has threats to his life. On this, judicial magistrate saved the order over Musharraf’s judicial remand.

Pervez Musharraf waited in the court’s premises in his car and left for his residence after a while.

Police chief has also requested the court to declare his house as sub-jail due to security issues.

Earlier, he was besieged in his Chak Shahzad farmhouse after he fled the Islamabad High Court following his arrest orders.

The beleaguered ex-president appeared before Justice Shaukat Siddiqui in judges’ detention case registered in 2009 and fled the court after the judge cancelled his protective bail.

Pervez Musharraf arrested, presented in magistrate

The decision to levy terrorism charges were a little strange too...

Trial has not started, the case was just about his pre-arrest bail.

well thats y i said "if proved" .i think he was charged with illegaly removing judges if i was not wrong.what could be the possible punishment?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom