What's new

'Honour killing' in Delhi: Woman, lover murdered

S_O_C_O_M

Reaction score
'Honour killing' in Delhi: Woman, lover murdered

New Delhi: In yet another case of "honour killing" in the capital, a class IV government employee and his lover were murdered allegedly by the woman's husband and cousins, her brother and one of her paramours.

The incident was reported from south Delhi's Sarojini Nagar and the victims have been identified as Uttam Kumar and Anju. Six persons, including Anju's husband Karambir, were arrested in this regard.

The arrested have been identified as Anju's alleged paramour Navin Kumar (24), Jagphool (23), Shokeen (24), Manoj (27) and Rishi Das (21), her brother. "The murders were at the hands of close family members. It is a case of honour killing," a senior police official said. Anju and Uttam Kumar belonged to different castes.

The incident came to light following investigations into a complaint filed by Kumar's brother Keshav on June 27 that the former was missing since June 19. Kumar was working at Electricity Division of CPWD in Safdarjung Hospital.

During investigation, it came to light that Kumar last went to the area of Bharthal. It also came to light that he was in love with one Anju, who had eloped with him earlier. Investigators found that Anju was murdered allegedly by Karambir on June 22. Karambir had admitted to killing his wife, police said.

A senior police official said it also came to light that Anju was simultaneously having a relationship with one Naveen Kumar who is her neighbour and working as a driver with a bank manager in Dwarka.

"She was in contact with him for the last few months and on June 19 night, she was speaking to him over phone. Naveen was interrogated and he spilled the beans," the official said. Naveen told police that he alongwith Karambir and his brothers Deepak, Manoj and Shokeen and one of the brothers-in-law Rishi were involved in the killings, the official claimed.

On June 19 night, Karambir had gone to attend the birthday party of Rishi at Ayurvigyan Nagar in AIIMS. "Anju was having frequent talks with Naveen without letting him know that she had already invited Uttam Kumar to her house. After the conversation, Naveen had taken his meal and went out for a stroll in the lane and found that a motorcycle was parked outside her house," the official said.

He called Anju but her mobile phone was found to be switched off. He knocked the door on which Anju peeped from inside the room but did not open it. "Naveen got angry and called Karambir's brother Manoj who then informed Karambir and his cousins Shokeen and Jagphool. Rishi also reached the spot. They all barged into the house and caught hold of Kumar and started thrashing him," the official said.

They then allegedly forced Uttam Kumar into a car. He tried to resist but was overpowered by the accused. "When they reached the toll bridge in Manesar, Uttam Kumar raised an alarm, on which the accused raised the volume of the stereo and once they crossed the toll bridge, they strangled him. After driving some distance from Manesar, they threw the dead body into a 100 feet deep well on Sabi River bridge in Dharuhera of Rewari district," the official said.

Worst crimes of the week: American woman 'raped' in Hyd - 2 -  News ? MSN India

There are more honor killings in india than all muslim countries combined.

^ And the thing is most of the killings dont come out and are settled by Blood money.

Don't worry, I'll post the statistics soon enough for everyone's benefit.

I've asked my friend who works in an NGO for women's development to give me the statistics for honor killings country wise. She was the one who told me of the fact about India & the Muslim countries, & I'm waiting for her response. As soon as I get the statistics, I'll post them. As of now, I'll just quote you some stuff from the Unicef website, I know it's not directly related to honor killings:

'Honour' Crimes: In 1997, some 300 women were estimated to have been killed in the name of 'honour' in one province of Pakistan alone. According to 1999 estimates, more than two-thirds of all murders in Gaza strip and West bank were most likely 'honour' killings. In Jordan there are an average of 23 such murders per year.

Thirty-six 'honour' crimes were reported in Lebanon between 1996 and 1998, mainly in small cities and villages. Reports indicate that offenders are often under 18 and that in their communities they are sometimes treated as heroes. In Yemen as many as 400 'honour' killings took place in 1997. In Egypt there were 52 reported 'honour' crimes in 1997.

Acid Attacks: In Bangladesh between 1996 and 1998 there was a four-fold increase in reported acid attacks from 47 to more than 200.

Dowry Deaths: In India, it is estimated that more than 5,000 women are killed each year because their in-laws consider their dowries inadequate. A tiny percentage of their murderers are brought to justice.

violence against women

India had about 46 registered cases of honor killing in 2010, Pakistan had more 1500 registered cases in four years.

Study Finds Honor Killings a Major Portion of Pakistan's Homicides | Online NewsHour | April 6, 2009 | PBS

statistics | Stop honour killings!

I'd suggest you lie less my friend:

More than 1,000 young people in India have been done to death every year owing to 'Honor Killings' linked to forced marriages and the country needs to introduce stringent legislation to deal firmly with these heinous crimes.

Many more young women are killed in India for failing to bring sufficient dowry than perish in “honor killings” across the Muslim world.

In India, it is estimated that more than 5,000 women are killed each year because their in-laws consider their dowries inadequate.

Honor killing in India

Going by these reports, Pakistan's 1500 cases in 4 years is still much lesser than over a thousand honor killing cases India has every year. In addition to that, 5000 women are killed yearly in India for not generating enough dowry.

This is simply the worst example of an "honour killing" which I have ever come across :D

I mean for God's sake read the damn article before rushing in to post it. The woman eloped with her lover. Another of her lover (paramour) Navin is arrested with her husband Karambir for the murder. If anything this sounds like a Bollywood soapie (RSLV rated). Sad that these people died but it sounds more of a love triangle (or square?) story than a honour killing one

This is simply the worst example of an "honour killing" which I have ever come across :D

I mean for God's sake read the damn article before rushing in to post it. The woman eloped with her lover. Another of her lover (paramour) Navin is arrested with her husband Karambir for the murder. If anything this sounds like a Bollywood soapie (RSLV rated). Sad that these people died but it sounds more of a love triangle (or square?) story than a honour killing one

Do you what an honor killing is? Do you know what the definition of an honor killing is?

So in the end, only the women was killed?
How would you name the movie, where women is burned before the death of her husband??

So in the end, only the women was killed?
How would you name the movie, where women is burned before the death of her husband??

Ummm are you seriously asking me to name the movie ???? Wow I feel so honoured :victory::victory:

Ok..since you insist. How about naming it ummm "I wish that the burning woman is the dude posing as Batman on PDF " ?? :partay:

India had about 46 registered cases of honor killing in 2010, Pakistan had more 1500 registered cases in four years.

Study Finds Honor Killings a Major Portion of Pakistan's Homicides | Online NewsHour | April 6, 2009 | PBS

statistics | Stop honour killings!

bro above stat is not correct, I read 2-3 such cases allmost on daily basis in my state Punjab. Situation is much worse in Haryana and many other states. I can safely say 46+ is just my state's monthly number. Brutality shown here cant be matched anywhere in world, where else u can expect 10+2 girl to be murdered in 'school' by parents who eloped with her lover, girl was brave, wanted to continue studies, took huge risk, came to give final exam and paid price.

This is stupid. The woman in question is not a single woman and neither is her lover (seemingly). She has duped 3 men including her husband. Eloping is done when 2 people (in most cases, unmarried young male and female) run away from their homes to marry. Although this is wrong and the court should handle this rather than the lady's family.

Since its a case of homicide, I think both the husband and the 2 other illicit affairs men should also be executed by court of law. Anyone claiming honor killing must be executed. Only then people will fear law. Otherwise we are likely to become another Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom