What's new

How India can be helpful to Pakistan

Xestan

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
How India can be helpful to Pakistan

The former National Security Advisor Brajesh Mishra was spot on when he observed that Indian pundits would do exceedingly well by keeping their traps shut with regard to the dramatic events in Pakistan. Yet, the establishment set the ball rolling. So far so good, though.

Home Minister P Chidambaram’s chance remark that India is keeping a close watch is a statement of fact at the highest level of Indian leadership. As a matter of fact, from personal experience in the South Block I can vouchsafe that we never bat an eyelid when it comes to watching (or eavesdropping) on Pakistan. It cannot be otherwise.
And so does Pakistan, given its own entire narrative of what India has been about and how bad it still can be in a worst-case scenario. Incidentally, events in India also mesmerize the Pakistani mind — Anna Hazare, for instance.
But beyond that, to anticipate ‘any eventuality’ and apprehend a spillover effect of the Pakistan events will be, as we say out here in Kerala, like lifting the dhoti a mile ahead of the stream that could even turn out to be dry, in anticipation of one having to cross it eventually — one ends up exposing one’s nakedness. The heart of the matter is that the stream has a dry bed and it is obvious that for a long time already since November 26, 2008, no water flowed through it.
There is a qualitative difference to the political crisis in Pakistan. This is not a run-of-the-mill story being retold — of an imminent military coup. Army chief Ashfaq Kayani actually took permission from PM Yusuf Gilani before the ISPR statement regarding the latter’s media outburst of the ‘illegality’ of the military’s recent actions.
Again, Pakistan’s press is indeed a thriving opinion-maker today and it is uniformly stressing its visceral aversion to army rule. No political party is playing footsie with the military. In any case, Kayani is an unusual general. In all these years of Pakistan watching since 1977 when I first moved into the desk in South Block, I’ve never come across a soldier comparable to him. The nearest to him might have been Jehangir Karamat, but then the social background and the Pakistani ethos and the nativist traits of Kayani keep him apart. (Maybe, they both smoked Dunhill cigarettes.)

All things considered, therefore, this is a crisis with a difference. Surely, Pakistan has its loads of internal problems — just as we have in India. PM Manmohan Singh just reminded us of a ‘national shame’. (I wonder why it can’t be the stuff of editorial comments in our press!)

The root cause of Pakistan’s instability is the presence of western troops on its borders and a shameful war next door. American soldiers urinating on the listless corpses of Afghans…. One can very well imagine the fury raging through the Pashtun mind. This has been a futile and mindless war fought for geopolitical purposes. Pervez Musharraf should never have allowed himself to behave like a frightened kitten. Pakistan is today paying the price for his cowardice.

In sum, Pakistan’s instability is far from terminal. Pakistan is slowly and steadily working out the equilibrium between the civil and military authority. I couldn’t have imagined when I arrived in Turkey on my assignment as ambassador in 1998 that the country could look like this today. It took a decade. In Pakistan, too, change will come. But let Pakistan sort out its political equilibrium on its own. The Americans, in particular, should stay miles away from interfering.
The main drawback today is not Kayani but the sad reality that Pakistan’s bourgeois parties are similar to India’s — lacking in ideology and in leaderships with the courage of conviction. That’s where Recep Tayyip Erdogan scores over Asif Zardari or Nawaz Sharif.

Mishra is right, we can help Pakistan by being politically mature ourselves. Indeed, times have changed. Amidst all this crisis, look at the grace with which Prime Minister Gilani chose to go on a nostalgic trip — how green was Mohali. Our pundits should reciprocate his statesmanship.
Posted in Politics.

By M K Bhadrakumar – January 13, 2012

How India can be helpful to Pakistan - Indian Punchline

I really appreciate the writer, at least someone across the border understand our issues. :tup:

Sugar Candy, India can never be friend/helpful to Pakistan just like a pack of Wild dogs can never be friends of a lamb.

India's Population has almost 100 Million Muslims, there must be a way to solve the Kashmere Conflict. Mogul Sultans found that way, until the British ocuppied and made their divide and rule policy. Pakistan, India, Banglades and partly Myanmar belong together.

India doesnt need to help us. Ab hum karain , India ki help. Just some lil wait.

Even though it is an old article but this is truly a gem of an essay. I wish Modi the extremist could read this if he is not busy selling hateful $hity ideas.

.....to anticipate ‘any eventuality’ and apprehend a spillover effect of the Pakistan events will be, as we say out here in Kerala, like lifting the dhoti a mile ahead of the stream that could even turn out to be dry, in anticipation of one having to cross it eventually — one ends up exposing one’s nakedness.

This is true. Modi (I had high hopes from him being corporate guy thus avoiding prior mistakes) has indeed lifted his dhoti a mile ahead of the stream.

..... The heart of the matter is that the stream has a dry bed and it is obvious that for a long time already since November 26, 2008, no water flowed through it.

this is obvious reference to Indian Control Kashmir (ICK). That Pakistan has not logistically supported any uprising since 2008 or even before that.

Good lesson for Bharati jingoistic writers. Very good lesson for us too.

India's Population has almost 100 Million Muslims, there must be a way to solve the Kashmere Conflict. Mogul Sultans found that way, until the British ocuppied and made their divide and rule policy. Pakistan, India, Banglades and partly Myanmar belong together.
we have 180 million Muslim mate :D

How come the question is NEVER asked in reverse?

How can Pakistan be helpful to India?

Laughable I know....never going to happen....not realistic. But for peace both sides got to give a little.....it is not a one way street...and that ain't happening in our lifetimes.

How come the question is NEVER asked in reverse?

How can Pakistan be helpful to India?

Laughable I know....never going to happen....not realistic. But for peace both sides got to give a little.....it is not a one way street...and that ain't happening in our lifetimes.

Off course.

bhai jaan

off course.

But the OP was written by an Indian for Indian audience. And hence the thread.

If you like, please open a new thread .

Please make sure to write as well as the OP did.

thank you

Pakistan and India agree to form border on LOC and demilitarize the area.

Then both leave each other the f**k alone to develop their economies.
I can't believe I am agreeing with you menace to society !!!!! :mad: But you are right, that would be a sensible solution.

God knows both countries have enough problems....but again not going to happen.,..and you know why better than me...to do with the K word and the A word.

I think the best option would be to do the second part first ie " leave each other the fvck alone to develop their economies". To some extent I think the beginning if that is happening now - hopeful it continues further both Countries disengage, ignore each other and concentrate on their own economies till we are grown up enough to sort the rest of it out.

The only way India can be helpful to Pakistan is if India stops meddling in our affairs.

Sugar Candy, India can never be friend/helpful to Pakistan just like a pack of Wild dogs can never be friends of a lamb.
So you look at yourselves as lambs? Think like a tiger, man! Otherwise there's no hope for you in international politics! :-)

India is building a satellite for you.We gave you prior warning of tornedo. We gave you prior warning of flood.

So you look at yourselves as lambs? Think like a tiger, man! Otherwise there's no hope for you in international politics! :-)
Exactly, Pakistan should prepare for Indian to come in and slaughter their women and children.. its what they all dream of regardless of their sanctimonious selves.

Back
Top Bottom