What's new

India taken off the list of polio endemic countries by WHO

Bl[i]tZ

Reaction score
polio_934623e.jpg

Polio drops being administered to a child in Cuddalore in this February 19, 2012 photo.

India, which has been polio-free for over a year now, was on Saturday taken off the list of polio endemic countries by the World Health Organisation.

This announcement was made by Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad at the polio summit 2012 here in the presence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

Mr. Azad said he has received a letter on Saturday morning stating that the “WHO has taken India’s name off the list of polio endemic countries in view of the remarkable progress that we have made during the past one year.”

There were only four countries in the WHO endemic list, including Pakistan, Nigeria and Afghanistan.

After being removed from the list, India will have to remain polio free for the next two years to achieve the polio-free status with concerted efforts and an emergency preparedness and response plan, WHO representative in India, Natela Menabde said.

The Prime Minister, while lauding the achievement, said the real credit goes to 23 lakh volunteers who repeatedly vaccinated children even in the most remote areas.

He said the success of the effort shows that “team work pays”.

Dr. Singh said, “This gives us hope that we can finally eradicate polio not only from India but from the face of the earth.”

The Hindu : Health : India taken off polio endemic list by WHO

good job.... thanks are in order to Bill Gates here too!
Must carry on with this for 2 years more.

Government needs to work even harder now....we can not let polio come back..

i would like thanks to all specially muslim that they will understand the importance of two drop and ruleout molvis

just hope our neighbor too can get rid of this disease too . hope and pray for the best. :tup:

really nice to see us polio free. hope we can go one for 2 yrs more and be rid of this once and for all.

well as India is neighbor to Pakistan and Afghanistan so even after they
have been declared Polio free they must continue the vaccination if I'm
not wrong in 2001 Iran announced as polio free but we still vaccinate all
the children for it ,because the region itself is not Polio free.

if you look at this link you see that in 2009 and 2010 23 previously Polio Free
countries were re infected due to importing of the virus

WHO | Poliomyelitis

Nice to hear. India need to push up more providing good medical care in rural areas and develop the Infrastructure too!

well honestly if you want to be on safe side you must continue it
until all the countries in the world are polio free

Recently I read about news of 2 new Polio cases in China's Xinjiang, disease coming from Pakistan. And India is too careful, all children coming to India from Pakistan are given polio vaccine at border posts at Wagah and Munabao.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom