How is the plan?

• Good

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Average

Votes: 53 20.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 47 18.0%

• Total voters
That was my point. In Delhi since the last 3 elections, the ONLY slogan or campaigning has been over development. That is which party developed Delhi more. And that is the SOLE reason for Shiela Dikshit winning three times in a row, she has really speeded up x10 any infrastructural development work in Delhi. Parties dont fight over anything other than trader rights, roads, highways, electricity and water.

OTOH in Mumbai you have people like Raj Thackeray, who want 'atleast 50% of the jobs created by MIAL to go to the local people'. With regressive leaders like these, Mumbai will become another Kolkota. An industrial and entertainment powerhouse of the 'yesteryears'.

And speaking on that, CPIM has been going ahead full steam over any kind of mega industrial project they can convince any company to set up in West Bengal. Offering ALL kinds of subsidies, etc! It seems the commies only know and use communism outside their own state!

Dude....incase you didn't notice...Raj Thackeray doesn't hold a public office.

If anything, you have to blame the congress for Mumbai's lack of development.

Sheesh...if Raj Thackeray began to affect Mumbai's devt. imagine what Laloo would do to Delhi.

Dude....incase you didn't notice...Raj Thackeray doesn't hold a public office.

If anything, you have to blame the congress for Mumbai's lack of development.

Sheesh...if Raj Thackeray began to affect Mumbai's devt. imagine what Laloo would do to Delhi.

Laloo Prasad Yadav's role is often underestimated.. He turned around Indian Railways.. He was the one responsible for finishing untouchability and massive caste based discrimination in Bihar in the early 90's... His hands were tied in Bihar because of obvious reasons...

What did Delhi have before the CWG announcement? Nothing much. All the recent work was done in anticipation of CWG.

before CWG.. expressways connecting Delhi and Noida.. Metro.. etc.

CWG's bid was submitted because of ongoing projects..

Apart from the Metro, there was little to distinguish the two cities. Infact Mumbai was cleaner until very recently.

Cleaner??

Bah..Gurgaon has a large population, but it doesn't have any highrises worth the name. It doesn't even have decent roads yet.

hmmm... Gurgaon is practically Dubai's Sheikh Zayed Road... 30stories+ building are the norm ... Gurgaon's roads are better than Delhi's ...

Gurgaon, Noida, Greater Noida, Gautam Buddha Nagar, Sohna, Manesar, Bawana, Bahadurgarh, Faridabad, Sahibabad and hundreds of other places I donot know of all are basically Delhi only...

Yeah rite...Mayawati....Pinch me.
All the work at Noida is done in spite of Mayawati, not because of her.

umm.. SA Noida was Maya's creation and Mulayam Singh Yadav did nothing for it..
and since Mayawati came to power the prices have jumped ten fold... Noida has almost as many high rises as Gurgaon... and is better developed...

The one BRT is going under trials, you cant call it a screw up. I think it will work. And as regards for the demolition of illegal colonies, i completely agree.

MM, in a 4 lane road you give 2 lanes to Bus... it won't work...
Travel time in Delhi has tripled since BRT came out... and recently Delhi's Chief Secy had commented that its a massive failure....

BRT Corridor basically means 2 lanes exclusivly dedicated to Buses.. and how many people with Cars travel in Buses or will travel in Buses??
Delhi is different I know of people who take loans against their houses to buy swanky cars...

Yeah, thats the one. The Delhi Gurgaon Highway. But i was talking about the new plan to connect DIAL to Gurgaon through Dwarka, an alternate to the new highway. And its going to be the biggest in the country, lane wise.

I haven't heard about it.... Dwaraka and Gurgaon are max 5 kms away.. and Dwaraka is underpopulated...

Yep. And the toll point on that express way is the biggest in Asia. The new one they plan to build, the one i mentioned above will take that title from this one.

EDIT: THe current Delhi Ggn toll plaza is 32 laned, i mentioned a lower amount in my previous post.

Never counted... but They have 8-10 lanes of tag tolls where you basically install a prepaid sensor tag and pass through...

I need to get that pass soon, my cabby feels we dont need it!
Oh and FYI there are plans to make a universal toll pass for India. As in, you buy one of those sensors from any expressway or flyover and it can be used over any expressway in India, simply the amount will be deducted from the pass stuck on your car when you pass the sensor.

that pass is great.. the tag lanes are usually empty ... the pass I have costs 500 bucks and is valid for a year.. there is monthly one too...
if you don't mind me asking where do you work and live??
I might be shifting to Palam Vihar after summers...

I meant the major cities. For example, what is the need for Metro to extend to Rohtak? or Modi Nagar? Both come in NCR. The major cities will be covered by 2010, by the time of commonwealth games.

There is talk of connecting Sonepat maybe.. depends on the Haryana govt...

The Railway station will become like the Airport, and the airport i think is being expanded to be around 10kms in size(or so i heard, havent bothered to check it out!)

Last time I went to the ND railway it was being renovated at a breakneck speed and it already has metro connectivity...

the Army Cantt one is being spruced up...
the Nizammuddin one is quite alright too there is an old world charm to it... I guess there is another one too which is being upgraded...

Both Mumbai and Delhi are world's one the most dirtiest city. Delhi is running behind all plans for CW games, it would be interesting to see will happen to CW games.

what do you mean by dirtiest?
Delhi has practically no slums as compared to Mumbai... there are some poor areas which could be unclean by that's about it... and yes Yamuna is not a river but a drain....
try throwing a wrapper in a metro station and you shall be surprised.. ;-)

what do you mean by dirtiest?
Delhi has practically no slums as compared to Mumbai... there are some poor areas which could be unclean by that's about it... and yes Yamuna is not a river but a drain....
try throwing a wrapper in a metro station and you shall be surprised.. ;-)

Delhi might not have any slums, but its streets and neighbourhoods tend to be dirty.

Mumbai's streets and neighbourhoods are cleaner, but it has too many slums.

Anyways, Dharavi is being demolished and redeveloped...lets see how that comes along.

Delhi might not have any slums, but its streets and neighbourhoods tend to be dirty.

Never really seen a dirty locality... may be the very poorer sections...

Mumbai's streets and neighbourhoods are cleaner, but it has too many slums.
Anyways, Dharavi is being demolished and redeveloped...lets see how that comes along.

no idea....

Never really seen a dirty locality... may be the very poorer sections...

no idea....

Yep...

Dharavi will be divided into 5 sectors and each sector will be awarded to a different developer to redevelop. 19 developers have been shortlisted by the government and the deadline for submitting the financial bids is May 31 2008.

According to the plan the developers are expected to rehabilitate 57,000 families and build infrastructure, roads, water supply, sewage facilities, and storm water drains.

The project will create 40 million sft of commercial space and 30 million sft of residential development and is estimated to be completed in seven years.

The project will have a maximum floor space index of 4. Private property in the project will have an FSI of 1.3, municipal and government property 3.1, and slum houses will have an FSI of 4.

The Indian partners of the 19 consortia are:

Reliance Engineering Associates (Mukesh Ambani), Indiabulls, Unitech Ltd, DLF, Godrej Properties, Africa-Israel Investments Ltd, L&T Ltd, Videocon Realty, Kingston Properties, Runwal Developers, MRMGF (a joint venture of Indian and Dubai-based companies), Goenka’s Conwood Group of Companies, Kalpataru, Lanco Infrastructure, Nagarjuna Construction Company, Housing Development and Infastructure Ltd (HDIL), the Lodha Group, Akruti Developers, and Neptune Investments.

Remember Delhi 10 years back..it was unliveable...apart from the South and Lutyens.

Mumbai has only fallen behind in the recent past, mostly because Delhi is suddenly looking better in comparison.

Its really starting to go vertical now...mostly because there is literally no more space to build.
So most new projects are 40+ stories, and 4-5 are 80+ .
in the next 5-10 years, Mumbai will be the only city with something resembling a skyline.

Remember Delhi 10 years back..it was unliveable...apart from the South and Lutyens.

North has Civil Lines and Model town which are posh...
West has Punjabi Bagh which is posh
South is Posh
Gurgaon and Noida are posh now
East is pretty unposh never been there though
Central is posh..
Old Delhis Darya Ganj at one time was very posh.. now its pretty rundown..

Mumbai has only fallen behind in the recent past, mostly because Delhi is suddenly looking better in comparison.

Mumbai still is the entertainment, trade and financial headquarters of India but and juxtaposition is too intense in Mumbai from what I have heard...

Its really starting to go vertical now...mostly because there is literally no more space to build.
in the next 5-10 years, Mumbai will be the only city with something resembling a skyline.

Don't worry NCR will have more than Mumbai's...

Sea facing cities usually grow vertically...

Delhi had luxury of space so there was no need for vertical growth and there was a legislation against tall buildings in Delhi (I think something to do with monuments or something) but real estate prices and scarcity of land have necessitated vertical growth now but still I don't think 80+ floors buildings will be built in Delhi...

A list with pics of some hundred skyscrapers of Delhi
Highrises of NCR (Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Ghaziabad etc.) - SkyscraperCity

"The National Capital Region's (NCR) skyline is all set to change. With height restrictions giving way, Delhi and its suburbs are all set to grow vertically providing the much needed residential and commercial space.
A 32-storey building in Noida's Sector-44 is called Celeste and when complete, it will be the tallest building in North India.
So far, top honours for sky-scraping have belonged to the Vikas Minar in Central Delhi and to the DLF Square Plaza in Gurgaon.
Several high-rise projects have been cleared by Noida and Delhi. Height restrictions have been removed from 33 mts for residential buildings and 37 mts for commercial buildings in Delhi
''In the planners mind, Delhi has always been conceived of as a low rise city. This was possible because Delhi had vast expanse of land to expand unlike Mumbai,'' said Manoj Mathur, School of Planning and Architecture.
After Mumbai, Gurgaon has the maximum number of tall buildings. It has as many as 150 high rises buildings that are taller than 24 mts.
In comparision, Delhi and Noida together have less than half the number of tall buildings Gurgaon has.
In the next five years, Delhi will get a number of high-rises. Some slated to come up before the Commonwealth Games.
In the new Celeste building at Noida, the two towers would have one apartment per floor.

''The two towers would have one apartment per floor with private elevators opening inside the apartments and would also have an all-weather heated swimming pool on the top floor. We wanted to build a structure that could be identified with the skyline of Noida,'' said Sanjeev Srivastava, MD, Assotech.
But starting at Rs 4 crores, these four-bedroom luxury apartments would cater only to the select few. Delhi is all set to get a 17-storey tall residential group housing society in Rohini. "
NDTV.com: High rises on Delhi skyline

4 crores for a 4 bedroom appartment in Noida... damn Delhi is expensive :eek:

PS: has anyone flown over Dwarka?? It looks out of this world.!! :angel:

What did Delhi have before the CWG announcement? Nothing much. All the recent work was done in anticipation of CWG.
Well, Malang mentioned it. We got the CWG BECAUSE of the best infrastructure being developed.

Apart from the Metro, there was little to distinguish the two cities. Infact Mumbai was cleaner until very recently.
Lol, the slums in Mumbai mate. I think Delhi is cleaner. And besides Metro flyovers are being made so fast in Delhi. By 2010, i doubt you'd be able to travel 1kms on any road without seeing or crossing either a flyover or an underpass. Like i said, you have to see Delhi's plans under consideration to believe it. I'v seen the plans(actual plans for the future, not just the current ones being made).

Bah..Gurgaon has a large population, but it doesn't have any highrises worth the name. It doesn't even have decent roads yet.
Malang has cleared the air.

Yeah rite...Mayawati....Pinch me.

All the work at Noida is done in spite of Mayawati, not because of her.

Maya maybe corrupt, but she is far better than Mulayam. Mayawati actually develops stuff when in power, Mulayam only eats money.

Yep...

Mate, Delhi has changed SO much in the last 5 years itself, forget about 10, i bet you wont be able to recognize Delhi. Trust me, there is obnoxious amount being spent in Delhi over road infrastructure. Its a road and highway building boom in Delhi and NCR.

Travel time in Delhi has tripled since BRT came out... and recently Delhi's Chief Secy had commented that its a massive failure....

BRT Corridor basically means 2 lanes exclusivly dedicated to Buses.. and how many people with Cars travel in Buses or will travel in Buses??
Delhi is different I know of people who take loans against their houses to buy swanky cars...

I haven't heard about it.... Dwaraka and Gurgaon are max 5 kms away.. and Dwaraka is underpopulated...

Never counted... but They have 8-10 lanes of tag tolls where you basically install a prepaid sensor tag and pass through...

that pass is great.. the tag lanes are usually empty ... the pass I have costs 500 bucks and is valid for a year.. there is monthly one too...
if you don't mind me asking where do you work and live??
I might be shifting to Palam Vihar after summers...
Without being too specific, i live in New Delhi and goto College in Gurgaon.

Maya maybe corrupt, but she is far better than Mulayam. Mayawati actually develops stuff when in power, Mulayam only eats money.

Mayawati does work in only her constituencies and for her people... Mulayam worked for no-one... Kalyan Singh and Rajnath Singh were okay but their hands were tied...

I think someone like Salman Khursheed or Rajnath Singh or Priyanka Gandhi as a CM will do wonders...

Delhi is different I know of people who take loans against their houses to buy swanky cars....

In a 4 lane road you can give 2 lanes to buses and it will work smoothly... the best example is the bus lanes in london roads. They are very well managing it even in narrow roads and the traffic never come to a hault here becoz of bus lane or buses. Here during peak time vehicles other than london buses and taxis are not allowed to use bus lane.
The most importan thing is people should obey basic traffic rules. In India or generally in South Asia most of them dont obey traffic rules. I think this is becoz most of them are getting licence through back doors. This should be stopped for ever. :disagree:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom