Indian Navy to get new helicopters

jha

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Indian Navy to get new helicopters

Naval+utility+choppers.jpg

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has cleared the purchase of 56 naval light utility helicopters, which will cost nearly Rs7,000 crore. These state-of the-art helicopters will replace the existing Chetaks in service.

The Indian Navy requires a twin-engine helicopter of modern airframe design and fully integrated advanced avionics to replace its aging fleet of Chetaks, which were inducted over 30 years ago.

With the DAC clearing the helicopter purchase deal, tenders will formally be floated within the next few months.

The likely contenders to get the RFP (request for proposal), or
tenders, are the European consortium EADS for its Eurocopter, the Anglo-Italian Agusta Westland. Russia’s Rosoboronexport for Kamovs, and the American giants, Bell, and Sikorsky.

According to the RFP, the Navy wants choppers with twin controls for both pilots, but at the same time it should be capable of being operated by a single pilot also. The other requirements are the ability to carry out anti-submarine warfare operations with torpedoes and depth charges, besides being suitable for anti-piracy and anti-terrorism roles.

Being able to operate both during day and night, the helicopters will also have the capability to operate in adverse weather conditions, both from shore and off-shore, and from small decks and large decks like that of an aircraft carrier.

Indian Navy to get new helicopters - India - DNA

What about the V22 Ospreys...... love them in their new arm version. I have heard a while ago about the indian is persuing to but V-22 for its future nedds of Navy , Army & Air Force.....
ORD_RWS_RGS_on_MV-22_Slide_lg.jpg

Although Sea Hwaks are there:
PUB_USN_Helo_Master_Plan_lg.jpg

SHIP_FSF-1_SeaFighter_and_SH-60_lg.jpg

Answer about that Sirkosky's:
helicopterodelfuturoyf1.jpg

X2_attack.JPG

sikorsky_x2.jpg

Sea king helicopter might be another option for india very fast and versatilr helicopter and hinkook might be the other

V-22 osprey is very expensive..costs more than $70 mil...

Sea hawk is the best suited..

V-22 osprey is very expensive..costs more than $70 mil...

Sea hawk is the best suited..

forget the price tag but u kno how hard it is to fly that thing!
even us marines crashed it within a year of its deployment....

i agree seahawk is the best option

forget the price tag but u kno how hard it is to fly that thing!
even us marines crashed it within a year of its deployment....

i agree seahawk is the best option

Totally agree with u
Seahawk are best suited for this role
however these are supposed to be mainly utility helicopters so i think bell has a higher chance

Someone was sugesting purchase of Sea king helicopters
well that is not possible regarding what is required in the tender

Well indian navy already operate 38 Sea king in anti submarine warfare role , and it plans to retire half of the fleet by purchase of 15 new anti submarine warfare helicopters , u can expect this contract to be aproved within a few weeks after the utility helicopter contract

Sikorsky SH-60 Seahawk
SH-60 / HH-60H / MH-60 Seahawk

U.S. Navy SH-60F with external fuel tank.
Role Multimission maritime helicopter
Manufacturer Sikorsky Aircraft
First flight 12 December 1979
Introduced 1984
Status Active service
Primary user United States Navy
Produced 1970s–present
Unit cost US$28 million (MH-60S)[1]
Developed from Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk
Variants Sikorsky HH-60 Jayhawk
Mitsubishi SH-60

The Sikorsky SH-60/MH-60 Seahawk (or Sea Hawk) is a twin turboshaft engine, multi-mission United States Navy helicopter based on the airframe of the United States Army UH-60 Black Hawk and a member of the Sikorsky S-70 family. The most significant modification is a hinged tail to reduce its footprint aboard ships.

The U.S. Navy uses the H-60 airframe under the model designations SH-60B, SH-60F, HH-60H, MH-60R, and MH-60S. Able to deploy aboard any air-capable frigate, destroyer, cruiser, fast combat support ship, amphibious assault ship, or aircraft carrier, the Seahawk can handle antisubmarine warfare (ASW), undersea warfare (USW), anti-surface warfare (ASUW), naval special warfare (NSW) insertion, search and rescue (SAR), combat search and rescue (CSAR), vertical replenishment (VERTREP), and medical evacuation (MEDEVAC). All Navy H-60s carry a rescue hoist for SAR/CSAR missions.
SH-60B Seahawk
The SH-60B maintained 83% commonality with the UH-60A.[4] The main changes are corrosion protection, more powerful T700 engines, shifting the tail landing gear 13 ft forward, replacing left side door with fuselage structure, and adding two weapon pylons. Other changes included larger fuel cells, an electric blade folding system, folding horizontal stabilators for storage, and adding a 25-tube pneumatic sonobuoy launcher on left side. Shifting the tail landing gear reduced the footprint for shipboard landing.[5]

SH-60B Seahawk.Five YSH-60B Seahawk LAMPS III prototypes were ordered. The first flight of a YSH-60B occurred on 12 December 1979. The first production version SH-60B achieved its first flight on 11 February 1983. The SH-60B entered operational service in 1984 with first operational deployment in 1985.[3]

The SH-60B LAMPS Mk III is deployed primarily aboard frigates, destroyers, and cruisers. The primary missions of the SH-60B are surface warfare and anti-submarine warfare.

The SH-60B carries a complex system of sensors including a towed Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD) and air-launched sonobuoys. Other sensors include the APS-124 search radar, ALQ-142 ESM system and optional nose-mounted forward looking infrared (FLIR) turret. It carries the Mk 46, Mk 50, or Mk 54 torpedo, AGM-114 Hellfire missile, and a single cabin-door-mounted M60D/M240 7.62 mm (0.30 in) machine gun or GAU-16 .50 in (12.7 mm) machine gun.

A Seahawk waits above the ground to evacuate a simulated casualty as fellow MARSOC operators bring the Marine on a stretcher.A standard crew for a SH-60B is one pilot, one ATO/Co-Pilot (Airborne Tactical Officer), and an enlisted aviation warfare systems operator (sensor operator). Operating squadrons are designated Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron, Light (HSL).

The SH-60J is a version of the SH-60B for the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force. The SH-60K is a modified version of the SH-60J. The SH-60J and SH-60K are built under license by Mitsubishi in Japan.[6][7]

Guys you are discussing about the wrong helicopters here!

The article says:

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has cleared the purchase of 56 naval light utility helicopters, which will cost nearly Rs7,000 crore. These state-of the-art helicopters will replace the existing Chetaks in service.

It's not about replacing the medium Sea King helicopters, so Sea Hawks and even the V22 are not considered. Actually the same helicopters that are competing in the light utility helicopters competition of IAF, should be the fafourites here (Eurocopter Fennec, or Ka 226).
Last month (maybe even in june) I posted the RFI of this competition and I would be very surprised if this would not be a combined deal with the LUH competition winner, because of more commonality and lower unit costs.

IN had a competition for medium class ASW helicopters, which could replace the Sea Kings, but I think it was cancelled again. The contenders (AFAIK) were NH 90, AW 101 Merlin and the Sikorsky S92.

Guys you are discussing about the wrong helicopters here!

The article says:

It's not about replacing the medium Sea King helicopters, so Sea Hawks and even the V22 are not considered. Actually the same helicopters that are competing in the light utility helicopters competition of IAF, should be the fafourites here (Eurocopter Fennec, or Ka 226).
Last month (maybe even in june) I posted the RFI of this competition and I would be very surprised if this would not be a combined deal with the LUH competition winner, because of more commonality and lower unit costs.

IN had a competition for medium class ASW helicopters, which could replace the Sea Kings, but I think it was cancelled again. The contenders (AFAIK) were NH 90, AW 101 Merlin and the Sikorsky S92.

but the article also mentioned that IN wants the chopper with anti submarine warfare capability....i doubt, those heli u mentioned above can carry torpedoes....

but the article also mentioned that IN wants the chopper with anti submarine warfare capability....i doubt, those heli u mentioned above can carry torpedoes....

Yes, but they can be use for ASW too, even Dhruv (which is a class above these LUH, but below the Sea Hawks) is available as an ASW helicopter.

Fennec.jpg

Eurocopter AS555SN Fennec
Weight: 2.6 tons
Engine: 2x Turbomeca Arius 1A, 150 knots
Crew: 1x Pilot, 1x TACCO, 1x AQM, 3x Passengers
Sensors: Bendix 1500B Search Radar, EWR-99/Fruit Radar Warning Receiver, Leo-II-A5 FLIR
Weapons: A244/S Torpedo

Royal Malaysian Navy Order of Battle

HAL_ALH_Dhruv_torpedo.jpg

Armament Capabilty:

Surveillance Radar
Sonar/Sonics
Electronic Support Measures
2 X Torpedo / Depth Charge
2 X Anti-Ship Missile

http://www.hal-india.com/helicopter/armed role.pdf

then why not just use dhruv, its home made so it will be far cheaper..

As I said in my last post, Dhruv is a class above these LUH and HALs new LUH is just under development. I expect Eurocopter to win both tenders, except if Agusta Westland and Tata (Tata is producing the AW 119 in India now) can offer a good naval version, but in the IAF tender they are out as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom