What's new

India's Singh Wants to Reduce 'Trust Deficit' With Pakistan

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
India's Singh Wants to Reduce 'Trust Deficit' With Pakistan

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said he is determined to reduce the "trust deficit" between India and Pakistan as India engages in a "major effort" to repair relations between the two rivals.

In a rare news conference Monday, Mr. Singh said that India would be unable to realize its full economic potential if it couldn't reduce tensions with its neighbors, especially Pakistan, the largest and most contentious.

Pakistan and India have fought three wars since they gained independence in 1947, and Pakistan-based terrorists launched a deadly assault on Mumbai in 2008. They also have a long-running dispute over the Himalayan region of Kashmir and more recently have sparred over sharing water resources.

"Pakistan is our neighbor and it is my firm belief that India cannot realize its full development potential unless we have the best possible relations with our neighbors," Mr. Singh said. "A lack of adequate trust, a trust deficit, is the biggest problem."

The two nations have been inching closer to an attempted rapprochement, with their foreign secretaries meeting in February to discuss a schedule for possible talks. Mr. Singh met with his Pakistani counterpart, Yousuf Raza Gilani, at a recent regional governmental summit in Bhutan and their foreign ministers are expected to meet in Islamabad in coming weeks.

Mr. Singh said India was prepared to discuss with Pakistan "all outstanding issues" with the only caveat that Pakistan shouldn't be used as a base for terrorism in India or against India.

Abdul Basit, a spokesman for Pakistan's foreign ministry, said of Mr. Singh's remarks: "We could not agree more. We need to build trust between our two countries on a solid foundation."

Mr. Singh's appearance was his first full news conference since he returned to office as the prime minister of the Congress Party-led United Progressive Alliance a year ago.

Soft-spoken and modest, the 77-year-old leader faces criticism that he is eclipsed politically by Sonia Gandhi, president of the Congress Party and the most powerful figure in Indian politics, and that he is serving only until Ms. Gandhi's son, Rahul, decides he wants the prime minister's post.

Mr. Gandhi is general secretary of the Congress party and has said he doesn't want a Cabinet seat until he succeeds in his work revitalizing the party. Mr. Singh said, "I sometimes feel younger people should take over and as and when the Congress party makes that judgment, I'd be very happy to make way for anybody."

If he lasts the full five years of this government, Mr. Singh will serve until the spring of 2014.

Mr. Singh also said India's federal government will focus on keeping a lid on rising prices as the country's economic growth accelerates, indicating the possibility of tighter interest rates.

"Prices continue to be a matter of deep concern," he said. "The government attaches the highest priority to containing inflation so that there is no distress to the common man."

India's economic growth accelerated to 7.1% in the year ended March 31, Mr. Singh said, adding that this fiscal year's growth is expected at 8.5%.

"Our medium-term target is to achieve a growth rate of 10% per annum. I am convinced that given our savings and investment rates, this is an achievable target," he added.

India Wants to Cut 'Trust Deficit' With Pakistan - WSJ.com

^^^^^^^^
why you have posted it in defense section???????

True and rightly said.. people in pakistan don't trust india and indian people don't trust pakistan... both have their own reasons and explanations for that... but if you want economic growth you have to solve the issues and that can only happen if we have trust on each other.

First rein in your b!tching media and hatred born-in officials.

India seems to have poor relations with pretty much all of her neighbors, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Kashmir, China, Bangladesh.

I think we might expect crappy Indian attitude which she gives to everyone.

We could become indifferent to India. India is just another neighbor of Pakistan like any other,

Maybe we can try improving relations with our other neighbors and try to seek economic benefit there...

^^^ I agree, good relations with pak is in India's favor. May peace between us prevail

Pakistan and India are not at war with each other so I guess there is peace between us, what else do you want beyond that?

India seems to have poor relations with pretty much all of her neighbors, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Kashmir, China, Bangladesh.

I think we might expect crappy Indian attitude which she gives to everyone.

We could become indifferent to India. India is just another neighbor of Pakistan like any other,

Maybe we can try improving relations with our other neighbors and try to seek economic benefit there...

Pakistan and India are not at war with each other so I guess there is peace between us, what else do you want beyond that?
no war is not equal to peace..by that logic even NK and SK are at peace...

I hope that relations b/w both country will be better but with out solving disputed land i dont see it happening in coming times

Manmohan Singh is an idiot and should be deported to his village in Pakistan...so he can receive that extra love :wave:

Thali kay baingan.........when they are singing hindi-Chini bhai bhai to western border per kutoon ki tarha bhonknay lagtay hain, jab Chini bhai in ki dum pay paon rkhta hai to chaon chaon kartay huay hum say dosti kar nay aa ja tay hain

no war is not equal to peace..by that logic even NK and SK are at peace...

Right now, I am not carrying guns and going out on a war to fight India. I think such a peace is sufficient enough.

Back
Top Bottom