What's new

Iran Withdraws Funding to Pakistan for Gas Pipeline Project

Surenas

Reaction score
Iran withdraws $500 mil funding offer to Pakistan for gas pipeline project

Iran has said that it would not be able to finance the Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline project, Pakistan's Minister for Petroleum and Natural Resources Shahid Khaqan Abbasi told reporters on Thursday evening.

Following his visit to Tehran over December 8-9, Abbasi said Iran expressed its inability to provide the funding it had offered earlier in two tranches of $250 million each to build Pakistan's portion of the gas pipeline.

"However, we are committed and will make the IP gas pipeline," Abbasi said, adding that Iran was ready to supply the gas once the pipeline is completed. Iran has already invested $2 billion to build its part of the pipeline.

Pakistan, however, is finding it tough to find the funding for its part of the pipeline due to US sanctions against Iran which makes financiers and contractors wary of joining the project.

Working groups from both countries would meet next week to consider different parameters in an attempt to keep the project going, Abbasi said, adding that details were expected to be finalized within two months.

Iran withdraws $500 mil funding offer to Pakistan for gas pipeline project - Natural Gas | Platts News Article & Story

This seems like a really bad development. I can't see the IP become reality anytime soon.

Indian conspiracy theory comes up.

May be possible as India, Iran and Afghanistan are trying to form good links.

May be possible as Indi, Iran and Afghanistan are trying to form good links.
bhai use your brain . EU give us status US give us aid hard cash IMF -world bank give us loan for only iran we have to kick all of them ? this deal was un realistic

bhai use your brain . EU give us status US give us aid hard cash IMF -world bank give us loan for only iran we have to kick all of them ? this deal was un realistic
I know but I am just expressing the possible posts that will come on this thread.

May be possible as India, Iran and Afghanistan are trying to form good links.

You are really insecure i remember even on some other thread you were waiting for conspiracy theories to emerge against India. Let people say what they feel like saying be that against India or anybody else.

You are really insecure i remember even on some other thread you were waiting for conspiracy theories to emerge against India. Let people say what they feel like saying be that against India or anybody else.
Dear, I am not insecure, just trying to lighten up the mood of the people. Don't you see how much Indian and Pakistanis fight.
Also, many times such cases does exists where conspiracy theories come true.

Haven't India and Iran started talking about a deepwater gas pipe directly connecting the two, bypassing Pakistan altogether?
Just posted the link.

I am looking it from this angle too. Not from conspiracy but any deal between India and Iran because India is one of the major importer of Iran's oil exempted from sanctions of US and EU.

India is important for Iran and vice versa, especially in economic terms.

Recently border issues between Iran and Pakistan has also surfaced.

No one is even sure if this pipeline is actually good for Pakistan

There should be a proper national debate about this before we take the plunge

The problem is the idea came up, politicians jumped on the band wagon and then later when doubts emerged they became hesitant

Back
Top Bottom