What's new

Israel to dispatch emergency aid, teams to earthquake-stricken Turkey

Can we please merge the international aid threads under one common thread?

More than 70 countries are now on the ground doing something to help the earthquake victims affected in the disaster zone, where a search and rescue army of around 150,000 people is conducting the largest rescue operation in history. In the port of Hatay, dozens of navy ships, including the Spanish navy, are trying to provide second tier health services. Professional search and rescue teams, miners, medical personnel, law enforcement officers, psychologists, aid volunteers from every line of work are working for a cause.

108 hours after the first earthquake, search and rescue teams are still digging alive people out from under the rubble. Ukrainian and Russian teams are working together, Iranian and Israeli teams are working together. Pakistan and India teams are working together. US and Chinese teams are working together. Greek and Turkish teams are working together.

Again, We are working together for a common cause. Please, I ask the PDF administration to be sensitive to the politicization of this issue and to prevent it from becoming a propaganda tool for someone's political agenda. Thank you. @LeGenD

Israel is not the same as Jews. Problem with the state of Israel giving humanitarian assistance is they have a state policy of bulldozing and bombing Palestinian civilian homes and infrastructure. Might as well be an earthquake hitting them while not at home or work. Aid in this context is disingenuous, more like a bribe to stay silent and look away. Bharatis were very impressed by it and they began destroying homes of Indians using bulldozers. This is very unIndian.
It's a very good policy, all houses of terrorists and all illegal Palestinian houses must be bulldozed.

Israel to dispatch emergency aid, teams to earthquake-stricken Turkey​

Netanyahu says teams to provide aid ‘at request of Turkey’; Herzog: Israel ‘stands ready to assist’; Foreign Minister Cohen, Defense Minister Gallant speak to Turkish counterparts​

By AMY SPIRO and LAZAR BERMANToday, 9:24 amUpdated at 12:03 pm

Rescue teams try to reach trapped residents inside collapsed buildings in Adana, Turkey, Feb. 6, 2023 (IHA agency via AP)
Rescue teams try to reach trapped residents inside collapsed buildings in Adana, Turkey, Feb. 6, 2023 (IHA agency via AP)
Israel will send aid to Turkey as it grapples with the aftermath of a devastating earthquake that killed hundreds of people in the region, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Monday.
Netanyahu said he sends condolences to the citizens of Turkey, and that “at the request of the Turkish government, I instructed all authorities to prepare immediately to provide medical, rescue and life-saving assistance.”
Netanyahu said that an announcement on dispatching rescue teams would be made “in the coming hours.”
Israel’s Judiciary: Reform or Ruin?Keep Watching

Foreign Minister Eli Cohen held an “emergency meeting” at the Foreign Ministry on Monday morning along with ministry CEO Ronen Levi to discuss the situation. He spoke several hours later with his Turkish counterpart, Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, and discussed the dispatch of Israeli assistance.
“In the name of the State of Israel, I would like to express deep sorrow to the Turkish people over the severe earthquake that struck southern Turkey tonight,” said Cohen.
Get The Times of Israel's Daily Editionby email and never miss our top stories
Newsletter email addressGET IT
By signing up, you agree to the terms
“Our hearts are with the casualties, and we wish a speedy recovery to the injured. I’ve instructed the Foreign Ministry to lead a rapid assistance plan to Turkey to deal with this difficult disaster,” he added.
There has been no official mention of Israeli aid for Syria, and the Foreign Ministry refused to respond on whether assistance to Damascus was being discussed. While the two countries remain officially at war, the Israel Defense Forces carried out a massive humanitarian operation to aid Syrian civilians during the country’s civil war.
Defense Minister Yoav Gallant said he had also instructed the IDF and the Defense Ministry “to prepare immediately to provide emergency assistance” through Israel’s rescue services and the IDF Home Front Command.
ADVERTISEMENT

Foreign Ministry staff hold an emergency meeting in Jerusalem on February 6, 2023 about the earthquake in Turkey. (Courtesy)
“The security forces are ready to offer any assistance that is required,” said Gallant in a statement, noting that Israeli rescue teams have “accumulated a lot of experience over the years in dealing with disaster areas and in the mission of saving lives.”
Gallant said later Monday that he had spoken with his Turkish counterpart, Gen. Hulusi Akar, and “told him that Israeli security forces are on standby and ready to help the Turkish nation with any required life-saving efforts.”
Eynat Shlein, the head of MASHAV, Israel’s national aid agency, flew to Turkey Monday morning.
United Hatzalah of Israel said that it was preparing to send a relief mission to Turkey in coordination with the foreign, defense and health ministries.
“We are standing at the ready to send a relief mission consisting of doctors, paramedics, EMTs, members of the psychotrauma and crisis response unit, and members of the search and rescue units, with medical supplies and humanitarian aid in order to provide assistance to the thousands of people in need in Turkey,” said United Hatzalah CEO Eli Pollack.
The Magen David Adom emergency services aid in a statement that it had been in contact with its Turkish counterparts in the Red Crescent, and “offered humanitarian and medical assistance.”
ADVERTISEMENT

“Magen David Adom has experience in assisting in disaster situations and the professionals are closely following the earthquake disaster in Turkey, and are prepared to provide any assistance that may be required,” the organization said.

People try to reach trapped residents in a collapsed building in Pazarcik, in Kahramanmaras province, southern Turkey, early Monday, Feb. 6, 2023. (Depo Photos via AP)
President Isaac Herzog sent his condolences to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the “enormous disaster,” expressing sadness “for the loss of life and destruction of livelihoods.”
“The State of Israel always stands ready to assist in every way possible,” Herzog added. “Our hearts are with the grieving families and the Turkish people at this painful moment.”
Israeli Ambassador to Turkey Irit Lillian tweeted that “the thoughts of Israel are with Turkey and its people as we see the first picture of the horrific results of the earthquake.”
Opposition leader Yair Lapid said he “sends my condolences to the Turkish people for last night’s severe earthquake. Israel stands with them.”
A powerful 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit southern Turkey and northern Syria early Monday, toppling buildings and triggering a frantic search for survivors in the rubble in cities and towns across the area. At least 500 were killed and hundreds injured, and the toll was expected to rise.

People search through the wreckage of a collapsed building following an earthquake, in Azmarin town, in Idlib province, northern Syria, February 6, 2023. (AP/Ghaith Alsayed)
The quake was also felt by some residents of Israel, although there was no damage reported. In recent years, a series of tremors have been felt across the country, rattling residents but with no long-term damage or injuries.
Authorities said that in case of an earthquake, anyone who might be in danger should head for an open space. People unable to leave their building should enter their bombproof secure room, leaving the doors and windows open, or go into the stairwell and head down. If neither of these are options, they should shelter in the corner of a room.
ADVERTISEMENT

The IDF Home Front Command is regularly dispatched around the world to assist in natural disasters, including earthquakes, wildfires, flooding and building collapses. A team sent to Surfside, Florida, in 2021 helped head up rescue efforts at a deadly condo collapse.

Damaged vehicles sit parked in front of a collapsed building following an earthquake in Diyarbakir, southeastern Turkey, Feb. 6, 2023. (Depo Photos via AP)
In 2020, Israel offered to send aid to Turkey following a deadly earthquake in the country, although Ankara did not accept the assistance. Relations between the two countries have since improved, and Monday’s earthquake appears much more severe.
Last year, Israel sent firefighting planes to battle a wildfire in Turkish-backed northern Cyprus, and has taken part in similar missions in Greece and Cyprus in recent years.
The Knesset is set to discuss Israel’s earthquake readiness next week.
Experts have long warned that Israel is overdue for a major earthquake that could cause significant damage to the country. The last major earthquake centered in the region took place in 1927 and killed hundreds of people.
Israel lies along the Syrian-African rift, an active fault line that runs the length of the border separating Israel and Jordan. Geological experts have recently warned that some one million homes in Israel are at risk of collapse in case of an earthquake.
According to estimates, a major earthquake could cause about 7,000 deaths and 145,000 injuries, with 170,000 people left homeless and 320,000 buildings damaged.
Last year, Israel held an earthquake drill in a number of towns and cities throughout the country.
Times of Israel staff and AP contribute
help at a time of distress , very good step .

I was astonished at how many Azerbaijan has sent! and according to this graphic, the Brits have sent 77 personnel which given the British capabilities, I'd have expected at least 200. I think the problem with much of the Arab world is they have not invested in this kind of expertise, so they can't send rescue teams. Hopefully they will at least help financially and with tents/blankets/medicine.

That information is misleading,Romania allready has 116 people with 7 rescue dogs on the ground.59 people arrived on the ground in the first 12 hours after the earthquakes,while other 57 left 2 days ago to join them.Yet, I see nothing on that "graphic "

That information is misleading,Romania allready has 116 people with 7 rescue dogs on the ground.59 people arrived on the ground in the first 12 hours after the earthquakes,while other 57 left 2 days ago to join them.Yet, I see nothing on that "graphic "

@Constantin84 Yes, Romania and many other countries not listed in this list have supported the search and rescue efforts. We are grateful to the Romanian state for this. This info graphic is a bit old, it does not show the whole picture.

@Constantin84 , I looked for an updated info graphic for you but this is the only one published today. here is the total figure. We are sure of Romania's friendship in hard times, don't doubt it. If there are some small errors in some of the past graphs, please attribute them to the size of the disaster and the fact that there is a disaster relief army of up to 200.000 people in the region, it is being carried out in 10 different provinces and sometimes such errors can happen. Please convey our gratitude to those know around you who are praying for the disaster victims.

FotMfycWYAYh0cS

@Constantin84 , I looked for an updated info graphic for you but this is the only one published today. here is the total figure. We are sure of Romania's friendship in hard times, don't doubt it. If there are some small errors in some of the past graphs, please attribute them to the size of the disaster and the fact that there is a disaster relief army of up to 200.000 people in the region, it is being carried out in 10 different provinces and sometimes such errors can happen. Please convey our gratitude to those know around you who are praying for the disaster victims.

FotMfycWYAYh0cS
Unfortunately not enough. Not enough. I wish there were thousands more foreign rescuers 3 days ago. So many houses and so cities,I wish every country sent more people. But the problem was the congestion in the roads too. So many houses...

Death to the worst of creatures according to Quran [5:82] [17:1-7] al-Imran and al-Baqarah

Death to occupiers of third holiest site of Muslims

Death to killers of thousands of Palestinians, Lebanese, Egyptians, Syrians, Arabs, etc...

Death to murderers of plenty of prophets and messengers and sworn enemies of Prophet Christ and Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H)

20230212_011628.jpg

Last edited:

FotMfycWYAYh0cS

No country can face such a disaster alone.

With all the hard news , at least there is comfort that so many countries participated in the efforts.

~

One of the two Organizations I support in turkey, these are my people providing support and do not need acknowledgement, dal khalsa is my people..

Humanity is beyond religion and borders…pray for turkey/humanity, quietly…

Back
Top Bottom