What's new

Israel would inform, not ask US before hitting Iran

Salahadin

Reaction score
TEL AVIV: When he first got word of Israel’s sneak attack on the Iraqi atomic reactor in 1981, US president Ronald Reagan privately shrugged it off, telling his national security adviser: “Boys will be boys!”

Would Barack Obama be so sanguine if today’s Israelis made good on years of threats and bombed Iran’s nuclear facilities, yanking the United States into an unprecedented Middle East eruption that could dash his goal of easing regional tensions through revived and redoubled US outreach? For that matter, would Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu readily take on Iran alone, given his country’s limited firepower and the risk of stirring up a backlash against the Jewish state among war-weary, budget-strapped Americans?

Obama is no Reagan. And many experts believe the two allies are now so enmeshed in strategic ties – with dialogue at the highest level of government and military – that complete Israeli autonomy on a major issue like Iran is notional only. So while no one questions Israel’s willingness to attack should it deem US-led talks on curbing Iranian uranium enrichment a dead end, such strikes would almost certainly entail at least last-minute coordination with Washington. Israel would want to ensure that its jets would not be shot down by accident if overflying US-occupied Iraq, and to give Americans in the Gulf forewarning of possible Iranian reprisals.

“Whether or not Israel got the green light from Washington to attack Iran is almost immaterial, as everybody in the region would believe that the US was complicit,” said Karim Sadjadpour of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. One US diplomat envisaged Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak telephoning Pentagon chief Robert Gates, unannounced, “to give a heads-up and explain” once the mission were under way. Gates and the US military brass have voiced distaste for pre-emptive strikes on Iran, which says its uranium enrichment is for legitimate electricity production, not weapons. But their public comments have acknowledged that Israel could break rank.

“I do not doubt that Israel will do what it thinks it needs to do, regardless of whether the US approves,” said Mark Fitzpatrick, non-profileration expert at the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London. “Israel would seek forgiveness, not permission.” A retired Israeli general who advises the government on strategic issues suggested there was a tacit synchronicity in recent messages about Iran from Israel and the United States: “The Israeli threat adds urgency to Obama’s calls for diplomatic engagement, and should Israel take things into its hands, the Americans retain wriggle room, some deniability.”

Israel’s bombing in 2007 of what the CIA described as a North Korean-built reactor in Syria may provide a precedent. According to a source familiar with the operation, Israel carried out the sortie alone, but only after “letting the Americans know that something like this could happen. It’s the difference between informing, and seeking consent”.

It was the United States which, a year later, published the allegations about the bombed site, pitting its clout as a superpower against Syrian denials. Israel, which has never discussed the attack, was spared the burden of proving its case. As both Obama and Netanyahu head new governments, the Israeli former general said any joint strategy would go unformed at least until the leaders held their first summit on May 18.

“There’s a sense that no decision has been made on either side,” he said. “My impression is that the current American statements are for the record, to convince the international community about the seriousness of the Obama administration’s efforts to talk Tehran into a solution.”Regardless of Obama’s eventual stance, it would be severely tested should US interests be threatened – say, with Iran answering an Israeli bombing by goading Shias in Iraq to stoke the embers of their insurgency, or by choking off oil exports. “Whatever temporary sense of solidarity with Israel that ensued would be through gritted teeth,” said Fitzpatrick, a former US State Department official.

Then again, drawing in the United States, with its superior air power, could serve Israel’s endgame of putting paid to Iran’s nuclear facilities. Most analysts think Israel’s warplanes might set back Iran’s plans by a few years at best and could never erase the knowledge of Iran’s atomic scientists. After reacting to the 1981 Iraq strike by saying – according to then-National Security Adviser Richard Allen – “You know what, Dick? Boys will be boys!”, Reagan rapped Israel by holding up a shipment of F-16 jets. reuters

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Its not as easy as Israel thinks it will be! this is not Iraq or Syria or some other place! Iran will give them a fight for sure one they will not forget lol and yes i do belive when and if it happens it will be informed to the US not asked as i can we do it or not but reporting yes the baby has to ask the daddy for everything lol i dotn understand why this world can't live in peace!

Last edited:
Well our relations with Iran are not good.So i am all for Israeli action on Iranian Nuclear Reactor.I don't want to see nuclear armed countries on all sides of Pakistan when they are somewhat hostile to Pakistan.

historical mistake of Israel if they attack on Iran.yes they are not lazy like Arabs they are well equipped brave and active irani's .

Thx Imran glad to see we share the same view here others just don't understand it would not be the same attack like on Iraq or Syria !!

forget Syria Iraq i work with Syrians Saudis Lebanon's Egyptians and other Arabs man i waste my whole life with Arabs.if some one think Arabs and irani or Pakistanis are same he just don't know any thing abut Arabs.Arabs from whole Arabic world are lazy like hell they even can't make tea for them. who can you compare with them a professional hard worker are active Iran army navy air force.Iran will give Israel hard time ever .any way this news is just Israeli show time from 1979 Israel waiting for bomb Iran but until today they don't have balls to take some real action.

Does Israel have the ability to defeat Iran?
I don't think so

Heres my take..

I've met alot of Iranians and when i say alot i mean ALOT.. and they are some of the most intelligent and nicest people i have met. Well aware, well spoken, and generally decent people. Its sad that an idiot like Ahmadinajad represents some of the most smartest and decent people in the world. Unfortunately i can't say the same for Arabs especially those from Saudia Arabia. I could be wrong but they are just loud and obnoxious. Some Iranians who come to the Universities actually worked back home, saved up money and came here.. unlike the Saudis.

It would be very unfortunate if Israel attacks Iran and would only sink their image in the world further down. The whole attack on Iran seems a lot more Political than it is needed. Iranians are already tired of Ahmadinajad and won't be in power for ever.. Israel should wait for the next elections and see the political outcome first.

If Israel does go ahead and attacks Iran they will be on their own and i don't think any respectable country would step in to help Israel. Definately not the US under Obama's administration because Obama is alot more rational than bush. Count Britain out completely and other European countries. I am sure Israel has enough firepower to cripple Iran but is it necessary? It will further diminish their status in the World.

I do have respect for Israelis though.. some are very very nice folks and one of my best professors is a Jew from Israel and Israeli's are generally very well educated and good decent people.. your government's action shouldn't represent the people of your country

totach7 the other side is crazy enough:) just a question totach7 do ya read talmud?

Well our relations with Iran are not good.So i am all for Israeli action on Iranian Nuclear Reactor.I don't want to see nuclear armed countries on all sides of Pakistan when they are somewhat hostile to Pakistan.

What is wrong with you? somewhat hostile? Iran has never been hostile to Pakistan, we have been lukewarm in the past, but thats it. And they have as much a right to build nuclear weapons as we do. Stop talking like an American hypocrit.

If our relations with Iran are not good, we must make them better. Good relations with regional nations had been a strong point for Pakistan before the war on terror began. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Sri Lanka, Iran, none had any major problems with India, whereas most had an issue with India. So let's go back to the way it was.

Also, Iran will be able to do more damage than Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt etc. combined. Therefore, Israel will need full US backing before attacking Iran. All this talk of "informing not asking" is just typical Israeli right-wing chest-pumping.

it's for sure Iran is not like Arab world and they are hard working.Israel can cripple Iran by surprise attack but if it cannot sustain in long war. plan can back fire.

Do you think Iran's Nuclear weapons is of great danger to Israel ?

Because i think Iran's Nuclear weapons is of great danger to other Arab countries.

If Israel does overfly US Forces in Iraq to attack Iran, I hope the US shoots down the Israeli planes. We should call it a "mistake" and say "sorry". It would be a fitting payback for the USS Liberty and might avert even more crazy behavior from the Persians. If the Israelis do attack Iran, I hope the US stops all military aid and co-operation with Israel.

Back
Top Bottom