Jamaat-ud-Dawa to approach ICJ over sanctions: Hafiz Saeed

IceCold

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
:tup:

Updated at: 1434 PST, Thursday, December 11, 2008
LAHORE: Chief of Jamaat-ud-Dawa, Hafiz Mohammed Saeed has said that arbitration of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) could be sought after imposition of sanctions on the outfit by the United Nations Security Council.

Addressing a telephonic press conference here on Thursday, Hafiz Saeed sought to put up a defiant stance, claiming that it was concerned by the international clampdown and would contact the UN to clear its position.

Reacting to the ban imposed by the UN Security Council by a unanimous decision, Hafiz Saeed said, "Jamaat-ud-Dawa has never been involved in terrorist activities and its main focus remains essentially on humanitarian aid activities and education”.

He claimed his group was not involved in the Mumbai carnage but said his organisation would admit its mistakes provided it was proved that it was in any way linked to the attacks, which left a trail of death and destruction.

"We are saddened by the Mumbai attacks but we are not involved in such acts which lead to the murder of innocent people," JuD chief said.

"Our country is a member of the UN and if there are restrictions and if they act according to the law, then it's alright. If it is proved that we have done anything, we will admit it," he added.

Hafiz Mohammed Saeed said the allegations leveled by India against his group at the UN were "baseless and unfounded". India, Saeed claimed, always resorted to "propaganda" against his group.

"There was no operation on any Jamaat-ud-Dawa office. As far as Zakiur Rehman (Lakhvi) is concerned, he is a leader of a Kashmiri group. He should not be linked to Jamaat-ud-Dawa," he claimed.

The Jamaat chief claimed he had never met or seen Ajmal Amir, the lone gunman captured alive by Indian security forces during the Mumbai attacks.

I think GOP should also back this up rather then following blindly behing the US/India propaganda and should contest this unfair and unjust one sided action of the UNSC.

This is the response that was required by our government, not a tiny charity organization that no one knows/cares about.

Utterly shameful that the stiffest and most correct responses you will find are all on the internet forums coming from the steady typing of patriotic hands rather than the mouths of our own government.

This is a new era in shame for Pakistan and let me tell you, it's just getting started.

I hope they manage to at least get some sort of hearing.

It was very stupid for the UNSC to ban em without a hearing.

I have a question, if this goes to trial and the ICJ is not able to prove any links with the LeT, will India back off?

I have a question, if this goes to trial and the ICJ is not able to prove any links with the LeT, will India back off?[/QUOTE]

It is laughable for a banned organization to intend to go to ICJ, a better Q would have been that will the ICJ entertain a plea from an Org banned by the UNSC ? Does ICJ have any jurisdiction on the UNSC ?

Since when does the UNSC need to have a hearing with a banned organization ? More so , when the Govt whose jurisdiction the organization works in has no objection .

Why will / should India back off ? For once the GOP has accepted its impotence to handle what it conveniently calls ' non state actors'.

On a lighter note, all major Pak politicians are non state actors, they fly to other shores when things heat up at home. Only to be mysteriously elected by ppl of Pak without having done a stroke of work in their constituencies !!

I have a question, if this goes to trial and the ICJ is not able to prove any links with the LeT, will India back off?[/QUOTE]

It is laughable for a banned organization to intend to go to ICJ, a better Q would have been that will the ICJ entertain a plea from an Org banned by the UNSC ? Does ICJ have any jurisdiction on the UNSC ?

Since when does the UNSC need to have a hearing with a banned organization ? More so , when the Govt whose jurisdiction the organization works in has no objection .

Why will / should India back off ? For once the GOP has accepted its impotence to handle what it conveniently calls ' non state actors'.

On a lighter note, all major Pak politicians are non state actors, they fly to other shores when things heat up at home. Only to be mysteriously elected by ppl of Pak without having done a stroke of work in their constituencies !!
You didn't answer my question. If the innocence of the Jamaat is PROVEN in court, will you accept it?

JuD should take a proactive approach if their activities are above board. That is, they shouldn't take the posture: "we will admit mistakes if you prove we made any." They should request and submit to a thorough "audit" by some responsible Pakistani government entity, like an investigative committee from Parliament. Then, if this GoP investigation team has confidence in the clean bill of health of JuD vis a vis LeT, the GoP should take it before the UNSC and get JuD removed from the banned list. The place to attack this is back at the UNSC, but the GoP has be supportive and carry the ball there. Actually, nothing short of the GoP investing its own prestige behind the JuD can reverse this. IMHO.

Apparently, most of the members of banned LeT are also members of JuD. JuD is just a moniker for old LeT

JuD should take a proactive approach if their activities are above board. That is, they shouldn't take the posture: "we will admit mistakes if you prove we made any." They should request and submit to a thorough "audit" by some responsible Pakistani government entity, like an investigative committee from Parliament. Then, if this GoP investigation team has confidence in the clean bill of health of JuD vis a vis LeT, the GoP should take it before the UNSC and get JuD removed from the banned list. The place to attack this is back at the UNSC, but the GoP has be supportive and carry the ball there. Actually, nothing short of the GoP investing its own prestige behind the JuD can reverse this. IMHO.
That can be done too. However the norms of international justice state that an entity is innocent until proven guilty. You're subscribing an guilty until proven innocent policy.

That can be done too. However the norms of international justice state that an entity is innocent until proven guilty. You're subscribing an guilty until proven innocent policy.

I am not making a value judgment about JuD innocence or guilt. I am proposing what I think is the "quickest" way for JuD to get off the banned list. Of course, if JuD could not stand the scrutiny, this is not a way for them. But, there is no possibility of "innocent until proven guilty" now. The UNSC, rightly or wrongly, has "convicted" JuD by banning them. Now they are in the position of having to prove their innocence if they want to be "unbanned" any time soon.

I am not making a value judgment about JuD innocence or guilt. I am proposing what I think is the "quickest" way for JuD to get off the banned list. Of course, if JuD could not stand the scrutiny, this is not a way for them. But, there is no possibility of "innocent until proven guilty" now. The UNSC, rightly or wrongly, has "convicted" JuD by banning them. Now they are in the position of having to prove their innocence if they want to be "unbanned" any time soon.
I wonder if this banning is permanent and if All five Veto powers got to vote on this issue.

I have a question, if this goes to trial and the ICJ is not able to prove any links with the LeT, will India back off?

Why should India back off UN has not taken decision without evidence even China seemed to be convinced.

Did GOP arrest Hafiz Saeed or not?Isn't Hafiz Saeed declared an international terrorist?

Does the ICJ have jurisdiction to hear matters brought to it by non-state actors? Both India and Pakistan would have to become parties to any such case since evidence would need to be submitted by both countries and arguments given on the issue. Would either India or Pakistan accept the jurisdiction of the court to hear the matter since that would appear to be required. Another question is which institutions of the UN are empowered to refer the matter to the ICJ and on what grounds?

I have not heard of any organization or group contesting the UN's findings on
this issue. On my understanding it will have to be the Pakistan government which would refer the matter to the ICJ but would it risk this apparent defence of the Let in such an explicit manner. What would Pakistan gain from doing this? These are issues that have to be seriously considered.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom