What's new

JF-17 THUNDER - Ready To Tear The World Asunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Block II wont have a different engine.

Then does it mean that the JF-17 will remain stuck at a relatively low 0.8 to 0.85 to 1 thrust to weight ratio as indicated by Sir @Najam Khan ?

I doubt there is any video with Thunder going vertical after takeoff...some similar videos from Izmir/Zhuhai are on youtube, but those have sharps hi-G turns after takeoff. Its T:W ratio is somewhere between 0.8-0.85.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Argus Panoptes

That is likely,under current circumstances. However, its a modular design and can take engines as an upgrade later in the decade.

@Argus Panoptes

That is likely,under current circumstances. However, its a modular design and can take engines as an upgrade later in the decade.

I would like to see that. This is a great aircraft made merely good by its weak engine presently. It will shine with a true greater than unity T:W ratio.

I would like to see that. This is a great aircraft made merely good by its weak engine presently. It will shine with a true greater than unity T:W ratio.

sadly its only gonna get heavier as new electronics will be added, unless PAF figures out a way to stick in a powerful engine or make it lighter by using composite.

n3vu4x.jpg

In this pic, it says it can produce over 22,000 lbs!
and the picture is by the manufacture itself.

n3vu4x.jpg

In this pic, it says it can produce over 22,000 lbs!
and the picture is by the manufacture itself.

But the Klimov website says that it delivers only 8,300KGF thrust...

JSC "Klimov" - RD-33 family

The 7% increase in thrust happened only in the RD-33-MK Sea Wasp.

And none of the engines they mentioned has more than 10,000 KgF of thrust.

Yeah, that's what i thought. But hey MAYBE they're willing to modify it in future, otherwise they wouldn't put this on this pictures.

Yeah, that's what i thought. But hey MAYBE they're willing to modify it in future, otherwise they wouldn't put this on this pictures.

That would mean a massive redesign...I would rather start a new project. Like the F-414.

Yes, underpowered but it also needs longer legs (internal) - well anyways, we can always dream

the one you posted is used in mig29 which they use 2engines to get the desired ratio to weight
the single engine jet engine is rd-93 which has more thrust then the rd-33 hence they only use one engine

Yes, underpowered but it also needs longer legs (internal) - well anyways, we can always dream

A more powerful engine and more internal fuel will make for a heavier airframe - in essence a new class of aircraft, which will be expensive to develop, when we cannot even afford to develop the one we have now.

the one you posted is used in mig29 which they use 2engines to get the desired ratio to weight
the single engine jet engine is rd-93 which has more thrust then the rd-33 hence they only use one engine

Well I spoke with Klimov officials and all they say is the 8,700 KgF thrust is only for take off...using it will lessen the engine life drastically. RD-93 is only a derivative of RD 33. They are not even mentioned in the site if you see.

JSC "Klimov" - Aircraft programm

So other than that poster there is nothing credible. Even in their 2007 brouchure of future products there was no mention of any thrust increase planned other than the RD 33 MK engine. If there was such increase in thrust as mentioned they would have already found their way into the MiG 29 UPG. Which obviously did not happen.

If a redesign of RD 93 were to happen to yield more than 10,000 KgF thrust, it would be akin to the evolution of GE-F-404 to the GE-F-414 because the size of the engine and the design simply makes it impossible to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom