What's new

Kalabagh Dam Project

Smaller dams should also be built and barrages should also be built. Why shall we pay for rental power plants? who cannot control floods!

FLOODS are lesson for those who are looking for alternate energy... resources.
I'm not denyin gthe importance of alternate energy but the dynamics of Pakistan has its own compulsions and control on water is key.
We have estimated loss of 100billion USD while one dam would cost around 5-6billion USD.
It will help in solving water share disputes among provinces as well.
If we build some dams some where on down stream without blocking water in natural catchment areas than we'll have imense flooding in upper areas hence those politicians can **** the engineers and will scare the nation for ever.
Therefore, we shall very carefully researched when we talk of dams on down stream ignoring large catchment areas at upstream.
With KB dam all preliminary design works and detailed researches had been completed only detail engineering is required.
Again with passing of years may be a fresh design needed to be prepared based on new data and available technology.

Last edited:
go for Bunji project first, that will generate 200% electricity of Kalabagh and China is willing to fund it and there is no dispute over this project. Why not go for those projects first that are both feasible and undisputed and can also fulfill your future demands.

Go for bhasha, little more expensive than Kalabagh but approved and ready to go for under construction

Sure, we should go for large dams as you indicate they are not small dams. It is job of rulers to go for alternate, when they announce no KB dam.

I have not studied any thing yet about those said dams but why not we need to trap water, every drop of it.

they are all criminals and have blood on their hands, they are illegal occupier of state.

Small dams are good in a way that it covers the most area but more costly and can produce less electricity..

Smaller dams should also be built and barrages should also be built. Why shall we pay for rental power plants? who cannot control floods!

FLOODS are lesson for those who are looking for alternate energy... resources.
I'm not denyin gthe importance of alternate energy but the dynamics of Pakistan has its own compulsions and control on water is key.
We have estimated loss of 100billion USD while one dam would cost around 5-6billion USD.

brother cost of bhasha dam is around US $15 billion but it should be constructed in 5 years otherwise the longer the project the higher the cost...

While I think there is a need to restart national discourse on the Kalabagh Dam, the best way forward right now is, as argued by Zaki and others, to focus on the less controversial projects like Bunji, Basha, Neelum etc. and the various proposed small dams.

These projects alone, if funded and implemented on war footing, are enough to take up our resources for quite few years and alleviate several issues related to water storage and electricity generation.

If these massive monsoon rains are a result of climate changes, then we can likely expect more in the coming years, probably interspersed with dry spells when there will be little rain. The whether is likely to fluctuate between extremes. India has had some very dry monsoon seasons recently, which have affected its food production. For both those reasons we need dams to built as soon as possible, so that we can store and utilize as much as possible the excess rainwater generated by strong monsoon rains, both to prevent floods as well as storage for dry years. River flows are going down anyway, as glaciers melt, so judicious water storage and usage is the need of the hour. Farmers need to be educated and funded to use better irrigation techniques etc.

Water, both in excess and shortage, is a complex challenge that requires significant planning and effort on multiple levels.

brother cost of bhasha dam is around US $15 billion but it should be constructed in 5 years otherwise the longer the project the higher the cost...

No wonder KB is cheaper when it has natural design i.e. narrow discharge hence relatively less construction.

Smaller dams is relative term.. i need to know comparison of wter storage capacity and not in power generation capacity.

As i know KB can store more wtaer than Terbela dam at minimal cost and again i say purpose of my aurgument is not the objection of smaller dams.... all dams shall be build and rental power plants shall be rejected strongly.

.... all dams shall be build and rental power plants shall be rejected strongly.

You know, I would have been less opposed to the RPP's as a short term solution, and actually bought the PPP's arguments, if they had also been simultaneously conducting negotiations on large permanent power projects.

IPP(HUBCO etc) is one of biggest mafia of Pakistan ,they dont allow any government to build Dams , they have also roots in IMF and World Bank.

May be that is why Zardari went to UK to ask them please come occupy us , last time you built the rail roads , this time build us a DAM and we will gove you all the coal reserves in exchange for flat for Zardari and Bilalawal CO

May be that is why Zardari went to UK to ask them please come occupy us , last time you built the rail roads , this time build us a DAM and we will gove you all the coal reserves in exchange for flat for Zardari and Bilalawal CO
If you are saying sarcastically,

oh brother i am willing to sell all our coal deposits if in exchange they are willing to build all big and small dams for Pakistan in next 10 years.

Come and take it :)

Aker PM ko aqal age hai

p1-3_3.gif

Advantages claimed by WAPDA, Fed. Govt. & representatives of Punjab

-Kalabagh Dam will generate/provide 3600 MW hydro-electric power (the
royalty of this power will be given to Punjab)

-The Dam will provide water for the irrigation of four million acres mainly located in the province of Punjab, out of which 380000 acres will be irrigated in Mianwali, Khushab and Jhelum districts and 2150000 acres will be irrigated in D.I Khan.

-Kalabagh Dam project will provide 35000 jobs.

-KB Dam is also essential because storage capacity of Tarbela and Mangla Dams is decreasing due to sedimentation.

Kalabagh a disastrous threat to the existence of Three Provinces:

For the last fifty years our insincere rulers have been plundering the national wealth, acting against democracy and reducing the common people to a state of acute poverty by rendering them jobless and failing to control the soaring prices of essential commodities. At this crucial stage if they will continue their malpractice=92s and if any unilateral decision is imposed regarding the construction of Kalabagh Dam, it would have a far reaching adverse impact on political, economic and geophysical set-up of three provinces. The Dam is not just a technical issue, it is now a socio-political, environmental and humanitarian problem which involves the fate of thousands of people of Sindh and NWFP provinces. The construction of Kalabagh Dam is not only detrimental to the interests of three small provinces but it would be the fatal blow for the peoples unity and lethal attack on the national integrity and existence.

Following are the major threats and objections raised by three provinces:

-Kalabagh dam will not only store 6.7 MAF water of Indus but 12.8 MAF water will be diverted to left bank and right bank canals for the irrigation in Mianwali, Khushab, Jhelum and Dera Ismail Khan districts. Therefore the KB dam will be consuming 19.5 MAF water of Indus.

It's not a controversy as far as the author of the linked piece is concerned - her mind is made up and the paper is merely justification, as she sees it -- everything she writes about is from a negative -- Maybe these floods will help focus the problem -- but essentially, it's a political problem, that is to say a $$ problem

Back
Top Bottom