What's new

Karachi: Asia's biggest food and entertainment resort opening next month

I think its wrong to state that , just because something has

a) Architecture
b) Is Clean
c) Looks European inspired

That it must be only specific to Clifton or other area , well if we go to UAE we see similar clean architecture and socializing places , modern and urban zones for 20-30 something population that wants to just enjoy an evening with friends after 40-60 hour week in Pakistan.

What the country really do need is more of such wonderful Restaurant , socialization zones , for people to invite others to parties and gathers, which promotes a healthy society in general

this place is not even popular among the middle class people, and i asked my family, they didnt even know this place

islam has made all humans equal but in our society we are observing the rich get richer, poor getting poor, karachi and pakistan seems to be becoming play ground and entertainment for idiot rich class

some time ago i heard CDGK was selling the beach areas to the corporates which doesnt happen in the developed countries or any other country, beach is the cheapest source of outing for karachites but it has also been sold to the rich people

its such a shame this was developed by karachi government but it became the elite class people source of entertainment, for becoming better muslims, we should act like our, if i was running karachi, i would immediately demolish these places

there is a food street in lahore too, but any rich poor equally can have enjoyment time in those places

Yes Lahore Food street is open to everyone and doesn't require any entrance fee that's why it looks like a dump compared to this new Karachi Food street. If you have beggers and polluters around then this place will look just like another street in South Asia.

They should allow a discount for middle class citizens.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/port...month-of-december-and-january/270874169629435

this port grand is only for the liberal feudal class, not for the middle class people, i can only see these defense clifton people here

karachi is becoming hostage to these idiot people good old days of the ordinary karachites are gone

this place is not even popular among the middle class people, and i asked my family, they didnt even know this place

islam has made all humans equal but in our society we are observing the rich get richer, poor getting poor, karachi and pakistan seems to be becoming play ground and entertainment for idiot rich class

some time ago i heard CDGK was selling the beach areas to the corporates which doesnt happen in the developed countries or any other country, beach is the cheapest source of outing for karachites but it has also been sold to the rich people

its such a shame this was developed by karachi government but it became the elite class people source of entertainment, for becoming better muslims, we should act like our, if i was running karachi, i would immediately demolish these places

there is a food street in lahore too, but any rich poor equally can have enjoyment time in those places

Man your info is totally wrong, this place is not built by karachi govt, it was built by Grand Leisure Corp...all of investment in it is from private company, man you should also complain KFC, Pizza Hut that lower middle class cant afford these places, this is totally business, will you ever invest your 1billion rupees without insuring returns on it?

Port Grand, Karachi - New Year Eve w / pictures

It was festive, it was fun and the food was great as always. And I didn’t even spend the whole evening there. I was there with my family and am glad that finally there is a place in Karachi where you can spend New Year’s Eve with your family without worrying about firearms, hooligans, etc.

The entry was Rs300 per person. While I was under the impression that this was normal because Port Grand charges Rs300 entry fees out of which Rs200 can be used inside. On this day however none of it was redeemable.

Read more at....

zagtalk.surferzag.com/port-grand-karachi-new-year-eve-w-pictures/

my Family is going there tonight but i couldn't cz of ma paper on monday...:(

i will sure visit this place after 7-8 months damn its too long :cry:

Running a cafe: Is it your cup of tea?

362085-resturantPHOTOFILE-1333997188-661-640x480.jpg

Samover plans to halve the volume of each cup down to 100ml and offer free refills to keep the tea fresh. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI: Few 24-year-old Pakistanis are likely to have visited over 12 countries. Fewer still have the entrepreneurial foresight to set up an award-winning successful business that draws heavily on their travel experiences.

At the Samovar Tea and Coffee House – an outdoor cafe located in the newly-established Port Grand food street near Karachi Port – Muhammad Gulraiz Khan has named each of the 20-odd teas his cafe serves after a place he has either visited, or read about.

The young cafetier is a graduate with an economics major from the Lahore University of Management Sciences, and shuffles his cafe-management responsibilities with a job at The Express Tribune; where he works as a subeditor.

Designed to serve a maximum of 30 customers at a time, the Samovar Tea and Coffee House is situated at the end of the pier at Port Grand, overlooking gigantic cranes loading and offloading containers on vessels docked at the port.

“While showing an Austrian friend around the city sometime back, I told him I wanted to set up an outdoor teahouse in Karachi. He said he was ready to invest in it and become my business partner,” says Khan, while talking to The Express Tribune.

Thus began Khan’s entrepreneurial journey. His friend invested 5,000 euros and he chipped in with his own savings, developed recipes and set up a tea stall on the pier.

“We sell about 70 to 80 cups of tea on weekdays. The number of cups sold is twice over the weekends,” he says. The per-cup price ranges between Rs125 and Rs150. The business employs three people on a regular basis, while a fourth one joins the team on weekends. The shop’s rent is calculated as a percentage of its sales every month.

It has been nine months since the launch of Samovar and, according to Khan, its sales have exceeded the initial investment several times over. “Our profits so far must’ve covered about two-thirds of the investment,” he notes.

Khan says Samovar’s tea is served in a glass, cup or mug; keeping in view its variety, taste and mood. For example, while the doodh patti is served in a glass, a European tea is more likely to be offered in a fancy cup. Typically, one serving has 200 millilitres (ml) of tea; although he is now planning to bring the volume down to 100ml and offer free refills, saying it will keep the tea fresh.
One of the challenges in running a food business successfully is maintaining an adequate inventory. Samovar’s inventory is replenished every Monday, when Khan gets his weekly off-day from The Express Tribune. His office hours clash with the business hours of Samovar, a problem that Khan wants to address by hiring a full-time manager in the coming weeks.

Khan received the first prize for his successful business model in the recently concluded Shell Tameer Awards for entrepreneurs. He says the model is scalable, adding that he is thinking of opening another outdoor cafe, preferably in the Boat Basin area. The reason, he adds, is his familiarity with the area and the tastes and spending habits of people who frequent it.

Moreover, it is a locality that stays relatively unaffected by shutter-down strikes and law and order problems that cripple businesses in the rest of the city all too often. “There are days we have to shut down. Business is zilch on such days, and we end up netting a mere Rs2,000 in sales.”

Published in The Express Tribune, April 10th, 2012

Running a cafe: Is it your cup of tea? – The Express Tribune

So can anyone tell me whats the cost of entrance and eating there?

PKR 300 per head, free entrance for those over 70. You will also get coupons worth PKR 200 which can be redeemed at different restaurants inside Port Grand. Nothing special about Port Grand, but it is clean, quiet and free of beggars - or may be these are the only reasons why one should go there.

Has anybody on the forum gone there and eaten??

What is the general price range?

Are these Basant Fiesta photos? We were going to port grand to celebrate Basant there, but unfortunately we had to cancel our plan at the last moment because some uninvited dickheads were more interested in gobbling up the roghni food at Lal Qila.

Back
Top Bottom