What's new

Linux corner

same pinch! I've completed RHCE in 2005(RHEL4). What is with that? I got a Redhat Bag,Pen,T-shirt and a Thick Book and RHEL CD's. They are resting somewhere in My shelves. :lol:
set back by Rs15,000 that time If I remember correctly.

I bet, a Linux Networking Course Offered by Reputed Institutions will be as good or better than RHCE.

BTW, I am interested in Linux Professional Institute's Certification. But, it's not about Networking. They've training in Banglore.
Home - LPI -

OT: I've known a guy Who failed RHCE Exam on RHEL6 3 weeks back. He spend Indian Rupees 13000 for this Exam. No second shot. So, He's Writing Again costing Rs20000(IIRC) with second shot option.

pps: Let this thread remain a Linux Chat, Q&A Thread Actively, I hope. :)

yeah i also got all those stuff :D I did the course for better understanding of servers nothing else...i have done ccna,ccnp...now preparing for ccie security :D

PS:i love redhat linux and i use it on my PC :D

Fedora and Redhat is the Same(Almost). RHEL isn't anything benefitting for a Desktop user. Centos is RHEL itself.

yup me .. i have been using ubuntu since karmic koala days .. tried almost every (popular) distro from distrowatch...now using mageia 1 for some days now..

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

I m also trying my hands on pcbsd-hubble edition..but damn it`s so hard to set up ppp daemon.. if any body has managed to get connected using bsnl evdo in BSD plaese reply here..

below: This is about companies patenting software and monopolizing . I hope someone will get the idea.
when-modern-business-practices-attack

When Modern Business Practices Attack!
- Daniel Chapman (Idea & Commentary) & Chris Suico (Artwork)

I though I would do a nice little "what if?" this week. What if companies in the past had been as legally aggressive as modern companies are today.

I was sifting through the news looking for something interesting to do a comic on, and the major theme that kept coming up just about everywhere that I looked was that modern companies, particularly IT companies are spending more and more on holding other companies back via legal and political means.

The implication here is that would then seem to mean that the money used on legal affairs is no longer available to go towards research and development and pushing their own products forward. Anecdotally at least, There certainly is more new legal news than new product/feature news.

Which bring up two questions - Are patents working like they should, to protect inventors and encourage innovation, and also why is the software, and particularly mobile arena's so heated whereas other industrial sectors are not.

To answer the first question, I think we need to start with the second.

When the idea of the patent was first propagated, the industrial revolution was already well underway, and most of what we could call "foundation" inventions - fire, the lever, the wheel, gears, springs, ore smelting and so on - were already common knowledge, and thus out of the reach of patents. As a result, most of the patents in the analogue world are for higher level inventions, and difficult to infringe upon without deliberately copying an invention.

In the digital world however, we are embarking on a completely new technological path, and so those foundational technologies are still being discovered and, unfortunately, patented like wildfire, meaning that it is almost impossible to make a modern mobile or software product and not infringe on someone:s patent somewhere accidentally.

Added to that is how patent lawyers have wised up that clear specific patents are bad, and broad vague patents that cover a lot more than the actual invention make it much easier to sue everyone over.

Even further is how in the digital world, things are much more absolute and clear cut than the analogue world so often there is only one "right" way to do something, or at the very least there is an absolutely most efficient and effective method to perform a given task. Should your company happen to stumble upon this method and patent it, then your competition can never have an optimal product without paying you.

If we look at analogue discoveries as an inverted pyramid, each discovery leads to an expansion of ideas and more opportunities in that area, then digital tech is often the opposite, with each discovery leading to further refinement and optimization of a concept until the best method of approaching a problem is reached.

Let's take mobile phone design as an example.

It is no coincidence that smart phones and tablets are becoming more and more similar. Designers are searching for the holy grail design that provides the best interface for the widest range of people. There will be such a design, and Apple is arguably the one who has come the closest so far. Once we reach this optimal design - the most user-friendly, yet powerful interface - then there will be little room to maneuver for the companies that have not patented or licensed it. The only step they can really take is to aim for a different product category entirely.

One could argue that analogue world also has absolutes, such as the most economic car engine, but the difference is that in analogue it is almost impossible to measure and predict accurately enough to bring about that absolute, whereas in the digital world, measurement, analysis, testing and prediction are all already done in absolute steps, so fine tuning is much easier.  (Note that this will change in some areas as we digital-ize the world such as we are doing with car engines now)

Getting back on track, we have seen two important points that make patents in the digital era a liability more than a benefit - The digital world works in absolutes and innovation involves constant refinement not expansion. This means that any patent on a digital concept can potentially completely stop anyone else from innovating, or even being competitive on that concept.

So, and I am pretty sure I am preaching to the choir here, the answer to our first question above is clearly a no, even without getting into some of the arguments against software patents specifically.

The saddest part about all this is that the real losers here are us, as every dollar spent on stopping others from innovating is a dollar not spent on actually innovating and providing a better future.
https://www.linux.com/news/friday-funnies/

Just installed CrunchBang to my DELL Optiplex 755 I bought used (220€) and it's working like a charm. I find Linux very useful because it gives more life to older computers...

Just installed CrunchBang to my DELL Optiplex 755 I bought used (220€) and it's working like a charm. I find Linux very useful because it gives more life on older comps.
Which Linux GNOME, KDE, ubuntu, Kubuntu? Oh sorry, anyways good thing because Microsoft's servers were down yesturday, don't go to windows. :D

Which Linux GNOME, KDE, ubuntu, Kubuntu?

Ubuntu seems to be too bloated for my taste, and I prefer minimalistic (clear) things in my life. That's why I like CrunchBang because it has a Openbox as a default.

edit: Puppy is quite nice distro too.

I have no choice has to work with Redhat...trying hard to install oracle, speically editing .bash extension..

If you are doing Oracle, why not Oracle linux? a variation of Red hat but Oracle related features like ASM packages bundled into it? And installation document is available at the Oracle site?

I am just a Linux user and not an expert. I am using Fedora which is a community based Linux distribution owned by Red Hat.

I use Ubuntu Linux distro occasionally.. I have a hard disk partition on my netbook to run Ubuntu.. But my primary OS is windows 7 Home basic, which came pre-installed.. I compared the two OS's for speed, and didn't see much difference for most the activities I use the netbook for, Viz. internet browsing.. Installing software's or making some software work on Linux is a pain.. I feel, after some tweaking, my Windows-7 is slightly faster than Linux and the range of free software's available is more than whats on Linux and more easy to install and use..
The reason why people feel Linux is faster is because of non-necessity of anti-malware program continuously monitoring..

Last edited:
Why?

Most cutting edge work happens in Fedora and that is what I use.
Maybe because Fedora is not designed for multi-tasking but Ubuntu is. Ubuntu is especially designed to save ram. Fedora use it all to stay better.

I use Ubuntu Linux distro occasionally.. I have a hard disk partition on my netbook to run Ubuntu.. But my primary OS is windows 7 Home basic, which came pre-installed.. I compared the two OS's for speed, and didn't much difference for most the activities is use the netbook for, Viz. internet browsing.. Installing software's or making some software work on Linux is a pain.. I feel, after some tweaking, my Windows-7 is slightly faster than Linux and the range of free software's available is more than whats on Linux and more easy to install and use..
The reason why people feel Linux is faster is because of non-necessity of anti-malware program continuously monitoring..
Reinstall Windows 7 and see if it gives you the same speed.

I did that for a while. Well I kinda' had to. Me and my friend were trying to put OSX on a Toshiba Satellite and needless to say... it didn't go well... So I had to use Fedora (running off a CD) for a while. I liked it so much that I downloaded Ubuntu and used that for ages...

Linux is great... but it goes as far as internet browsing, emails and light document work. Better stick with Windows/OSX for everything else.

My two Cents.
I tried to create Hackintosh and I was successful but I choose not to stay with it because I don't see any benefit of having Mackintosh. I use Windows just for gaming. For all other stuff, I use Fedora.
I occasionally switch between Fedora and Ubuntu. But I use Fedora more.

Back
Top Bottom