What's new

Linux corner

Reinstall Windows 7 and see if it gives you the same speed.
You mean Windows-7 will become slower after fresh re-install?? I'm OK with the present speed, though wish it could be better. I don't see any real advantages in speed with Ubuntu w.r.t. to windows-7..
I have the free Microsoft security Essentials installed and its quite fast and effective in preventing malware.. It is quite integrated with the OS and has frequent updates..

Ubuntu seems to be too bloated for my taste, and I prefer minimalistic (clear) things in my life. That's why I like CrunchBang because it has a Openbox as a default.

edit: Puppy is quite nice distro too.
I tried Bodhi distro, the live version. Got frustrated even with simple task of getting WiFi connection.

You mean Windows-7 will become slower after fresh re-install?? I'm OK with the present speed, though wish it could be better. I don't see any real advantages in speed with Ubuntu w.r.t. to windows-7..
I have the free Microsoft security Essentials installed and its quite fast and effective in preventing malware.. It is quite integrated with the OS and has frequent updates..

Install an SSD - store your media on the external HDD.

Linux is not marketed for its speed, it's the available toolset, configurability and flexibility that is key. And of course, it's free!

You guys are too young !

I have some vintage linux redhat releases that you may not find even with the vendors.

Been using Redhat since 1997.

You guys are too young !

I have some vintage linux redhat releases that you may not find even with the vendors.

Been using Redhat since 1997.

I beat you... 1996
Slackware which came with the PC Quest magazine in India.

Maybe because Fedora is not designed for multi-tasking but Ubuntu is. Ubuntu is especially designed to save ram. Fedora use it all to stay better.

Fedora is designed for multitasking as much as Ubuntu is.
Memory usage is not necessarily a bad thing. Under default setups, most kernels will attempt to cache data from the harddisk into memory to speed up i/o for processes accessing the disk. This shows up as memory being utilised by the kernel but is available to other processes as the system requests for new memory. The kernel will launder those pages in cache and will make it available.
Probably you are experiencing lag because of the desktop environment. Gnome3 was a PITA until the F20 where it seems to have improved substantially. Unity isn't all that better either.

I would however recommend Ubuntu for users just starting out with Linux since the churn is lesser and there seems to be more forums available online where you can find ubuntu users discussing their problems.

Last edited:
Fedora is designed for multitasking as much as Ubuntu is.
Memory usage is not necessarily a bad thing. Under default setups, most kernels will attempt to cache data from the harddisk into memory to speed up i/o for processes accessing the disk. This shows up as memory being utilised by the kernel but is available to other processes as the system requests for new memory. The kernel will launder those pages in cache and will make it available.
Probably you are experiencing lag because of the desktop environment. Gnome3 was a PITA until the F20 where it seems to have improved substantially. Unity isn't all that better either.
I would however recommend Ubuntu for users just starting out with Linux since the churn is lesser and there seems to be more forums available online where you can find ubuntu users discussing their problems.
I am good with Fedora because I only go command line to install software from repository. Gnome is more easy to use desktop than Unity. I got everything in repos I need to install. Also Fedora works fine for me because I face some problems in Ubuntu like I am unable to turn on bluetooth within settings. I have to click a lot to turn it on. That's not the case with Fedora.
I am good with Fedora.

I found BSD more fast but it doesn't have what I want.

Me a simple user (Ubuntu). Really a complement to Windows. Of all the ubuntu OSes (from 8.10 actually) the 12.04lts has made me suffer the most.

I have a Intel 330 series SSD and will be installing Gnu/Linux on to it. Wondering whether Debian or Ubuntu to go. I have a Debian testing(apt-pinning) and it has shit loads of updates each day of which some of them I install. while, with Ubuntu 14.04.1 Trusty Tahr LTS(Long Term Support), updates will be less and will not be outdated also.

BTW, I am for the first time doing GPT partitioning on this SSD instead of MBR, as the mobo supports UEFI mode. I will have to format SSD with GPT partition table, few concerns are SSD partition alignment which I think parted or gdisk will automagically achieve.
my plan is to have / of 30GB and /home of 60GB and a data partition of 60-70 GB and rest will be unused(180 GB SSD).
Since some sources claim ext4 is bad for SSD life, wonder whether to use Btrfs or ext3
11.10 - Should I use btrfs or Ext4 for my SSD? - Ask Ubuntu
My motherboard supports legacy BIOS mode as well as UEFI and below article recommends some hybrid MBR et al. will have to read again!
Legacy BIOS Issues with GPT
Other tweaks including placing /tmp into ram. To reduce write operations, I will place /var partition in a old sata hdd formatted with ext4. other includes removing systemd for upstart(after reading this)
Grub2 will be the bootloader. Archlinux-wiki and other online sources offers a lot of helpful articles. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Can anyone help regarding driver issue in Fedora. I have Nvidia Quadro FX 3500.

Can anyone help regarding driver issue in Fedora. I have Nvidia Quadro FX 3500.
What is the issue? Isn't driver working fine? I'm not aware of your particular video card. But, did you try
glxinfo |grep --render
to see whether direct rendering is enabled? There's a novueu open source driver and 3D infra - Gallium 3D. these drivers will be no match for the proprietary one.

What is the issue? Isn't driver working fine? I'm not aware of your particular video card. But, did you try
glxinfo |grep --render
to see whether direct rendering is enabled? There's a novueu open source driver and 3D infra - Gallium 3D. these drivers will be no match for the proprietary one.
I inatalled propriety drivers but they didn't work for me. Screen went blind but card stopped screaming. Novueu were alreay installed with new installation in ubuntu but didn't card dudn't stop screaming. Sound get high while playing game or watching movies 720p

I used to do a lot of distro hopping but spent considerably more time with Mint and Puppy. They are the best for casual users.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom