What's new

Liquid Fuel Ramjet (LFRJ) engine based DRDO's new missile project, the Supersonic Target (STAR).to be developed into Anti-AWACS AAM

I like the idea of using RAM-jet for longer range. This missile is sort of pale for attacking AWACS or refuelling tankers due to its limited range. That being said, it sort confirms the rumors that India is seeking to develop a Brahmos-variant ( actually a ramjet powered missile) for long range OCA. It still needs more range and ability of being guided by AWACS instead of aircraft that fired it.

Ideally, a stealthy fighter should fire it in vicinity of a refueller and get the hell out without turning on its radar and let a AWACS guide in mid-course and let seeker handle terminal phase.

Is it possible in IAF @Joe Shearer?
That is where I have been bemoaning the focus to be on AMCA instead of making the Tejas a do it all.

HVAA’s in most environments will be targets for low observable assets. Or in the subcontinent a combination of long range SAMs and stand off long range weapons.

Yes, except we don't have a stealthy fighter. The closest is the Tejas because of its very light weight and small size, but it is no stealth machine.

How did this thread suddenly turn into one of the few decent discussions on the forum?
Lucky we.

We don't have a real stealth fighter. We do have a plane with a really strong self protection package which can do things that typically only stealth fighters do. But we just have 36 of them.

That is where I have been bemoaning the focus to be on AMCA instead of making the Tejas a do it all.
AMCA is 15-20 years in future minimum. Its HAL, GTRE and DRDO we are talking about.

How did this thread suddenly turn into one of the few decent discussions on the forum?
Lucky we.

I believe in nice discussions, high tea and smiles... but then sometimes...

z6Eqn2.gif

Tejas, when initial envisoned, to the best of my knowledge was a replacement for Mig-21s. Over a period of time, due to delays, it became a science project of sorts and now it is threatening to become a Mig-29 replacement in its next avatar. Give it few more decades and damn thing will be a 747 replacement with ability to fire every missile in India's inventory and will have a towed radar array.

Someone close to the airforce told me that about 4-5 years back, the only way to get approved for funding for development was to get your project aligned with Tejas. Thats why so many things started to get strapped on to this poor plane.
Its not unheard of fighter jet program starting with certain expectations, but ending up with a completely different product.

F-35 for instance began as program to replace harriers, but ended up being affordable 5th generation stealth fighter which was completely out of scope back when the project was initialized

Chinese took decades to develop J-11 fighter jet program. They started J-11 program in 1970s to replace 2nd generation fighter MiG-19. But ended with copy of 4th generation Su-27 in late 90s

F-35 for instance began as program to replace harriers, but ended up being affordable 5th generation stealth fighter which was completely out of scope back when the project was initialized
F-35 was "joint" strike fighter... keyword here was joint. It was meant to be Army's fighter, airforce's fighter and Navy's fighter. In mid 2000s the word on the street was that it will do neither well and is going to be a mess of a fighter trying to do every thing at the same time. The "affordability" part came only after mass production started and even then its not affordable in terms of maintenance. When America says affordable they mean something else than when say Russia or China say affordable.

F-35 was "joint" strike fighter... keyword here was joint. It was meant to be Army's fighter, airforce's fighter and Navy's fighter. In mid 2000s the word on the street was that it will do neither well and is going to be a mess of a fighter trying to do every thing at the same time. The "affordability" part came only after mass production started and even then its not affordable in terms of maintenance. When America says affordable they mean something else than when say Russia or China say affordable.
I was referring to Pre-JAST, One of the early ideas on F-35

Advanced Short Take-Off/Vertical Landing (ASTOVL) 1983-1994
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) began a program in 1983 to begin looking at the technologies available to design and manufacture a follow-on supersonic replace for the AV-8 Harrier. The program, known as ASTOVL, would eventually lead become a joint U.S.-U.K. collaboration.

Pre-JAST

Lucky we.
Its HAL, GTRE and DRDO we are talking about.
After working for an HAL joint venture, working for a GTRE project and collaboration with DRDO on two or three 'things', I dread the thought of any of these three being on the critical path of any project. I dread the thought that HAL may be asked to produce more than eight of anything (knitting needles inclusive).

Lucky we.

After working for an HAL joint venture, working for a GTRE project and collaboration with DRDO on two or three 'things', I dread the thought of any of these three being on the critical path of any project. I dread the thought that HAL may be asked to produce more than eight of anything (knitting needles inclusive).
Might be improved if the following suggestion is implemented:

Fire or retire anyone over 30 coming from a non-technical background and/or from bureaucracy.

Its cultural - not capability

Back
Top Bottom