RETIRED THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Major Raja Aziz Bhatti Shaheed

adb77d2c2d6a6648193494152ce82fe0.jpg

Born: 1928, Hong Kong
Commissioned: 1950, Punjab Regiment

On 6th September 1965, as Company Commander in the Burki Area of the Lahore Sector, Major Bhatti chose to move with his forward platoon under incessant artillery and tank attacks for five days and nights in Defence of the strategically vital BRB Canal. Throughout, undaunghted by constant fire from enemy small arms, tanks and artillery, he organized the Defence of the canal, directing his men to answer the fire until he was hit by an enemy tank shell which killed him on 10th September 1965. He was 37 years old.

>>

Major Raja Aziz Bhatti [Urdu: عزیز بهٹی] was a Pakistani soldier who received Pakistan's highest award for valor. He was born in Hong Kong in 1928.[1][2] He moved to Pakistan before it became independent in 1947, living in the village of Ladian, in the district of Gujrat. There he enlisted with the newly formed Pakistani Army and was commissioned to the Punjab Regiment in 1950.
His father's name was Master Abdullah Bhatti, and his mother's name was Bibi Amna. He had four brothers, Nazir, Bashir, Sardar and Rashid, and two sisters, Rashida and Tahira. He himself had six children, four sons named Major Zafar Javed Bhatti, Dr Zulfiquar Ahmad Bhatti, Rafique Ahmad Bhatti, and Iqbal Javed Bhatti and two daughters named Riffat Bhatti and Zeenat Bhatti. Throughout his career, he was a brilliant officer and stood out in his class. He did very well at the Academy and was awarded the Sword of Honour best in his year's batch of 300 officers, and the Norman Medal. He received his honours from Liaquat Ali Khan, the first Prime Minister of Pakistan, who was later assassinated.
On 6 September, 1965, the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965 broke out between India and Pakistan. Major Bhatti was posted in the Burki area of Lahore sector. As the company commander, Major Bhatti chose to move his platoon forward under constant firing from Indian tanks and artillery. For three or more day's he went without rest. He resisted for five days and nights defending a Pakistani outpost on the strategic BRB canal. On 11 September, he was reorganizing his company and directing the gunners to shell the enemy positions. In order to watch every move of the enemy, he had to place himself in an elevated position, where he was exposed to enemy fire. He led his men from the front under constant attack from Indian Artillery batteries. Although he countered every Indian offensive in his area, he was hit by an enemy tank shell in the chest while watching the enemy's moves, and thus dying instantly. His death struck many hard and is remembered by many.
A day before his death, the commanding officer had sent to him word that since he had been fighting untiringly for the last six days, he should take a little rest and that another officer was being sent to replace him. Major Aziz, who was filled with a battle spirit and the will for martyrdom replied, "Do not recall me. I don't want to go back. I will shed the last drop of my blood in the defence of my dear homeland". He is buried at his village in Ladian[1] in the Gujrat district.
Each year, Major Bhatti is honoured in Pakistan on 6 September, also known as Defence Day. Bhatti was awarded the Nishan-e-Haider, the nation's highest military award for gallantry for the exemplary courage he displayed till his death.

I went to his village a couple of years ago to meet my mate who is related to the major......theres a nice memorial in his memory when you enter the village.

On Defence Day, September 6, we salute the Major Raja Aziz Bhatti Shaheeds , who embraced the pains in order to save our beloved country Pakistan and our independence. Above all to ensure the safety and security of all Pakistanis. Let us pay a tribute to our Shaheeds on this special day, who are awarded Nishan-e-Haider. A hearty Salute to him, even though am an Indian it dosnet matter for me as all the Soldiers lay done their lives for their mother land. :pakistan:

354ca0ffab335c9834afc62d0ca2a887.jpg

Nishan-e-haider

Last edited:
A truly great person and brilliant in everything he did, he was one of the most promising officers in the Army and would have done wonders in his career had he gone to live longer, this is a view shared by all who knew him.

However, he chose to go beyond the call of duty and sacrifice all for the sake of Pakistan...something we should all remember in these troubled times.

This land has been called home by many great people and their efforts and sacrifices clearly illuminate the path us Pakistanis MUST tread, in order to make the sacrifices worth it.

May your memory always inspire us to greatness, Major. Aziz Bhatti!

A salute to a brave soldier.I have done some research on Maj Bhatti ---at places it is shown that he died on 10 Sep , at places it is 11 Sep and in another it is shown as 12 Sep---why this discrepancy???Can anyone confirm the exact date and approximate time. That he was in the Lahore sector , on the canal and Barki is known . His CO , Brig Qureshi(retd) mentions that he died on 11 Sept. Who was the Artillery officer with him in the three storey house in Barki which came under shelling before Barki was captured?Which Regiment was this Artillery officer from? What happened to him??Can any one shed some light , I am writing an article on the Barki battle.

Major Aziz Bhatti and his border patrol Company were patrolling BRB canal in the night of 5th september as that time army used to guard borders. In night 3am when Indians started to cross international border they were stopped by just the company sized force of Maj Aziz Bhatti Shaheed and let me remind u a company is comprised of 35 men and is directly under command of Major in Pak Army.

They managed to do what today is can be said as a miracle as he and his men were able to stop wave after wave attacks of enemy for 5 hrs. It was in morning when higher command knew that Indians have attacked and send in reinforcements and Pakistan knew it is attacked:lol:

Indians on the other hand were so overconfident that one of their Generals in command of Lahore attack had said that They will have Breakfast in Lahore Gymkhana in the morning of 6th september. As they were expecting absolutely no resistance and expected to overrun Lahore and Capture the main City of Pakistan.

If they their plane would have worked then that would have turned the tide of war and it was no way Pakistan could have emerged as victorious in War.

But thanks to this man and his Border Patrolling Company and sheer Help of All Mighty Pak army did something that today no human brain can understand how did it happened.

:pakistan:

Pak Army Zindabad!
Pakistan Paindabad!

Back
Top Bottom