What's new

Man Held in Nottingham Attacks That Killed 3 and Wounded 3

jhungary

MILITARY PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
China
The authorities said they had arrested a 31-year-old man but did not give a motive for the attacks in central England. Two of the dead were university students.

• Give this article

Police officers patrolling an intersection, with tape marking a criminal investigation scene.

Police officers blocking a road in Nottingham, England, on Tuesday, after three people were killed and three others wounded.Credit...Jacob King/Press Association, via Associated Press

Police officers patrolling an intersection, with tape marking a criminal investigation scene.

By Cora Engelbrecht and David Cole
Reporting from London
June 13, 2023
A man was arrested early Tuesday on the suspicion of murder after three people, including two students, were found dead in the city of Nottingham, in central England. The arrest followed a series of attacks Prime Minister Rishi Sunak of Britain called a “shocking incident.”
The police said they were first alerted just after 4 a.m. about two people who had been “stabbed in the street and were unresponsive.” These two people would later be identified as 19-year-old students at the University of Nottingham.
Police officers were then called to a nearby street in the city center, where three other people were found wounded after a driver attempted to run them over with a van, according to a statement by the Nottinghamshire Police. Soon after, the body of a man in his 50s who had been killed with a knife was found in a third street. The police said Tuesday that they believe that the van belonged to that man and that it had been stolen from him.
A 31-year-old man was arrested in connection with the deaths. The three other injured people, including one man who was in critical condition, were receiving treatment in a hospital, the police said. Police described them only as “members of the public.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story

“This is a tragic series of events which has led to the lives of three innocent people being taken,” Chief Constable Kate Meynell of the Nottinghamshire Police said in the statement. She said that the authorities were “keeping an open mind” as they gathered evidence to determine a motive behind the attack.

More on Britain​

“Currently, we do not believe there is anyone else involved in this incident,” the chief constable said.

The University of Nottingham, in a statement, confirmed the “sudden and unexpected” deaths of two of its students. “We are shocked and devastated by the news and our thoughts are with those affected, their families and friends,” it said.
From the early morning and into Tuesday evening, several main roads were closed for the investigation and Nottingham’s tram service had been partly suspended.

Workers in paper suits stand near a white van.

Crime scene investigators in Nottingham examining a van on Tuesday.Credit...Phil Noble/Reuters

Workers in paper suits stand near a white van.

The authorities gave no indication whether the alarming succession of violence was connected to terrorism, with the police saying only that they were working with a team of detectives and counterterrorism police to “establish the facts” in an ongoing investigation that was still in its “early stages.”
ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story

“The police must be given the time to undertake their work,” Mr. Sunak wrote in a Twitter post, expressing his condolences for the families of the victims.
One witness told the BBC that she saw the van assault.
“I’m shaky — I’ve never seen anything like it,” said the witness, Lynn Haggitt, in an interview with the broadcaster. She said that she saw a driver in a van check his rearview mirror before he accelerated into two people. “The woman went on the curb and the man went up in the air,” she said.
Ben Bradley, who leads the Nottinghamshire County Council and represents a nearby town in Parliament, wrote in a statement posted to Twitter: “To see this level of violence on our city’s streets is unimaginable and emotional for everyone who lives and works here.”
“I’m grateful to the police and other authorities who have stepped in and made an arrest,” he added.

Nottingham, a two-hour train ride north of London, is a city of more than 300,000 people at the center of an urban area of over 750,000. It was the birthplace of Raleigh bicycles and John Player cigarettes, as well as the hometown of the fashion designer Paul Smith and the writer Alan Sillitoe, whose first novel became the film “Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.”
The cycle factory depicted in that film closed decades ago, and others have also departed. A spate of gang-related crime in the city repeatedly made national headlines in the 2000s. But it remains an economic hub, with two large universities and major employers including the pharmacy chain Boots.
A vigil was held in Nottingham on Tuesday evening. And condolences came from as far a field as France, with President Emmanuel Macron writing on Twitter, “Our thoughts go to the victims of the tragic events in Nottingham, the injured, the families. We share the grief of our British friends and stand by their side.”

Victims are named as follow.

Nottingham victim.jpg

L - Ian Coates (65) C - Grace O’Malley-Kumar (19) R - Barnaby Webber (19)

RIP to the victims

who responsible, motive ?

right winger, some religious nutjob, random crazy person ?

Sources said the suspect was a West African migrant who had settled in the UK legally and was known to police. Whenever they describe it as "a man attacked and killed.." it has to be a non white person.

black immigrant, time to torpedo a couple of their boats.

who responsible, motive ?

right winger, some religious nutjob, random crazy person ?

No motive yet but guy supposedly had mental problems

West African refugee quiet church goer

Nottingham suspect 'was churchgoer' as victim's mum tells vigil to 'hold no hate'​

Portuguese speaker Valdo Amissão Mendes Calocane completed his degree in August last year, having won a place as a mature student in 2019

The suspect in the Nottingham attacks that saw two students and a school caretaker dead was a "polite churchgoer from a good family", according to a neighbour.

Portuguese speaker Valdo Amissão Mendes Calocane completed his degree at the University of Nottingham in August last year, having won a place as a mature student in 2019.

Calocane grew up in Haverfordwest, West Wales, where neighbours said he was a polite churchgoer from a good family.

He attended the Calvary Church along with his carer dad, nurse mum and two younger siblings.

Neighbour Marlene Raymond, 55, said: “I can picture the eldest boy now in his school uniform, he was very smart and handsome.

“He was very bright, all three children are - they are a nice family and have been lovely neighbours for years.

“I haven’t seen the oldest boy for some time - since he went away to college or uni.

No motive yet but guy supposedly had mental problems

West African refugee quiet church goer

Nottingham suspect 'was churchgoer' as victim's mum tells vigil to 'hold no hate'​

Portuguese speaker Valdo Amissão Mendes Calocane completed his degree in August last year, having won a place as a mature student in 2019

The suspect in the Nottingham attacks that saw two students and a school caretaker dead was a "polite churchgoer from a good family", according to a neighbour.

Portuguese speaker Valdo Amissão Mendes Calocane completed his degree at the University of Nottingham in August last year, having won a place as a mature student in 2019.

Calocane grew up in Haverfordwest, West Wales, where neighbours said he was a polite churchgoer from a good family.

He attended the Calvary Church along with his carer dad, nurse mum and two younger siblings.

Neighbour Marlene Raymond, 55, said: “I can picture the eldest boy now in his school uniform, he was very smart and handsome.

“He was very bright, all three children are - they are a nice family and have been lovely neighbours for years.

“I haven’t seen the oldest boy for some time - since he went away to college or uni.

it's sick how the media is trying to generate a soft spot for him...

it's sick how the media is trying to generate a soft spot for him...
It’s going to blow up very soon I think . News just broke this morning of him being “ a quiet softly spoken church goer “ & public is still shocked trying to comprehend things , how & why it happened .

Immigrants will get the backlash and maybe the girls father being Sanjay kumar will keep the racists out of the picture .

Keep the boats out is being peddled everywhere by the government and you must have heard of the old abandoned army barracks and prison ships being readied to lock up Newley arrived boat people .

Also Boris Johnson is in the news for lying in parliament but this Nottingham story will break very soon now I think but then today this morning

Is on the news “ immigrant with student visa “ we know what’s coming next as they’ve stopped students arriving on visa with there families now .

It’s chilling . universities are supposed to be a safe a place to learn be educated for a better future better life . There is so much joe public can take when daughters are being attacked .

It is not safe for a young girl on her own out in London at night at the moment . Up north & midlands seem fine but London has a terrible problem of young girls being attacked by immigrants at the moment .

Last edited:
It’s going to blow up very soon I think . News just broke this morning of him being “ a quiet softly spoken church goer “ & public is still shocked trying to comprehend things , how & why it happened .

Immigrants will get the backlash and maybe the girls father being Sanjay kumar will keep the racists out of the picture .

Keep the boats out is being peddled everywhere by the government and you must have heard of the old abandoned army barracks and prison ships being readied to lock up Newley arrived boat people .

Also Boris Johnson is in the news for lying in parliament but this Nottingham story will break very soon now I think but then today this morning

Is on the news “ immigrant with student visa “ we know what’s coming next as they’ve stopped students arriving on visa with there families now .
I'm just glad that the days of violence kicking off due to these tragedies, are over.

It will likely have legislative consequences (student visas from 3rd world countries cancelled, etc) , but hopefully not any physical consequences.

I'm just glad that the days of violence kicking off due to these tragedies, are over.

It will likely have legislative consequences (student visas from 3rd world countries cancelled, etc) , but hopefully not any physical consequences.

Yes I think so .
New fresh Immigrants are treated like shit though here now . We'll see , it’s going to be a long hot summer

Yes I think so .
New fresh Immigrants are treated like shit though here now .
They're blamed for the failing economy and social issues. It's only a downward spiral from here, so it's bound to get worse.
We'll see , it’s going to be a long hot summer
Definitely. It's been super dry and hot the last few weeks. I reckon this'll be one of the hottest summers we've had in a long time

Back
Top Bottom