What's new

Motivations behind selecting the name 'India' in 1947

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting this in bold isn't going to change the truth..so why do so?

The truth that you didn't understand my point?

You clearly haven't followed my explanation. "Indra" and "Indus" are both derivations from "Sindhu". Yes, Indus is a corruption, and probably occurred after Indra, but why does this matter if they are both derived from the root word, "Sindhu"? It's perfectly easy to understand. Yes, it is only one syllable, "-Ind-", but this syllable appears to be the most important syllable (for whatever reason), that forms a part of India, Indus, Indra. There's no question of the similarity between these three words, unless you choose to be in denial of them. Ask a statistician professor (non Indian), about the likelihood of obtaining three syllabalic similarities between INDia, INDus, INDra, sINDhu, and you will find there's virtually nill probability these names are not all related to each other from the same origin.

Er, sorry I disagree. The words Indra and Sindhu are unrelated.

They might both have come from a common word, but it hasn't been proved.

Also, I explained the origin of indra as 'indu' meaning drop and 'ra' meaning possessing. It has does not originate from the word 'sindhu'.

I disagree it has been unchanged. Bits of it don't make sense.

Oh and you are the great Rigvedic expert, to tell the world that 'bits of it don't make sense'.

Either elaborate or don't insult a book revered by millions.

Hinduism is a relatively new religion. In fact, the word "Hindu" was given to describe the people of a geographic region, rather than a religion at first. When Hindu started being using as a religion, it was only recently, perhaps in the last 400 years. That is when the religion changed into what it is today.

LOL...you crack me up!!

400 years?

Kindly get your facts straight!! You don't know even the basic facts about the evolution of Hinduism.

Vedic religion had ritualistic slaughter of the cow, no cow urine drinking or worshipping of minor rodents. Compare Vedism to Hinduism today, and they are completely seperate religions.

How is that related to our topic of discussion?

You're welcome to point out what does not make sense to you Qu'ranically. I find it all makes perfect sense when you look at the context. Your basic argument is that Sindhu means one thing in one area of the Vedas, it has another meaning in another area of the Vedas. Nonsense. This is wishful thinking. The Vedic people were not so illiterate they didn't know how to express themselves clearly in their historical accounts.

ErThe Rigveda composed over a period of many centuries.

You clearly haven't read the Rigveda, understood it or analyzed it.

Those who have done so, both the historians and the priests, realize that the meaning, even pronuciations of several words change through the Rigveda.

Your "Timeline" argument has nothing to do with countering my argument. My argument is something which you have failed to understand. My argument is that INDia, INDus, INDra, sINDhu all are derived from a common origin (Sapta INDhu). This being the case, why would the Vedic people then name their major God, Indra, after a minor river (Indus). They would, if anything name their God after the biggest river..Indus, Sindhu - lit. trans. "THE River".

Indra is not derived from Sindhu. There is no record of such a thing happening. I have explained the etymology of Indra earlier. Kindly leave the determination of word origins to those who understand Sanskrit, and not your imagination.

I've already shown you the verse that demonstrates quite clearly, that "Sindhu" is the name of the river Indus in chapter 10 of the Rig Veda. You now have to show me why, in your own words, you have reason to believe that earlier chapters refer to the Sindhu generically. You haven't so far (i'm not asking for opinions of HIndutva fanatics here, I want plain fact. I have given you a plain fact and proved in chapter 10 of the Rig Veda, that "Sindhu" refers to the Indus). You now prove to me it also refers to rivers generically

In my previous post, I gave links to a detailed analysis of the chronology and geography of the Rigveda.

Have you bothered to read it?

Every one of my contentions are explained in detail, very logically.

If you haven't, then there is no point of debating.

Vedic scholars that are Indian agree with this. There is an agenda to it. Most independent researchers don't agree. I quoted Alan Dilqvist before from his book. He translates Sindhu as Indus throughout.

Vedic scholars have kept their interpretation consistent from the time it was first codified.
Naturally, this is the most correct one because it has been passed on in an unmodified form.

Westrern scholars, without this essential background, are liable to make mistakes in the interpretation of the vedas.

Cemetary H did not spread into India. What do you think the "H" in Cemetary H stands for? HARRAPA. It was centred around Harrappa which is well within Pakistan. For its exact dimensions, see here

The Late Harappan Cemetery H is located between Cemetery R37 and Mound AB on a slightly raised plain at Harappa (Rao, 1973). It covered more than 3000sqm with two distinct layers (Rao, 1973). The Post Harappan Cemetery H is characterized by a total lack of Harappan ceramics. The lower Stratum II (H2) consisted of about out two dozen extended burials with heads to east and flexed knees. The burials contained a somewhat crude red ware apparently unrelated to Mature Harappan ceramics. The ceramics are similar to that recovered at Lurewata and Ratha Theri in Bahawalpur State (Pakistan). The upper Stratum I (H1) consisted of pot/jar burials. These fractional burials were of urns containing skulls and a few long bones. The urns and associated ceramics were a more elaborate form of the red ware from Stratum II.
The Harappan Tradition

3000 sq miles is roughly 55 * 55 miles around Harappa. In no way would this even reach into India, even if Harappa were at the extreme fringe of Cemetary H. Besides this, Cemetary H has nothing to do with the Rig Vedic Period!.

This report dates back to 1973, when most of the Harappan sites in India were not excavated properly.
Only recently has the ASI taken interest in excavating these sites.

Today, we know that the cemetary-H culture extended well into the Gangetic plains.

Quoting only Indian researchers on this is essentially just being non objective. Almost every non Indian researcher does their research in Pakistan, unless they're an avid Hindu fanatic like Frawley. I'm looking for objectivity, not propaganda. Also logic and reason will do for me, all of which you have not offered up. I will show you what neutral research is in my next post.

Quoting Indian researchers, (mind you, not politicians but researchers) is perfectly objective.

You should look at what a researcher has written, rather than where he is from.

If you can present some research on the subject, then kindly do so.

In the meantime, please try to read the sources I gave you with some semblance of objectivity, before dismissing it as propaganda.

Let's hope so. You obviously are clutching at straws when you dont present any fact as to why you think what you think, except that a Hindutva website says it.

That does not make sense.

Firstly, I don't know what you mean by "Hindutva website".

Secondly, I am not a historian. I will definitely get my opinion from another source and present it here.

Kindly try to remember that we are not doing any new research here, simply comparing existing literature.

Frankly, your tone has been rude and condescending throughout our discussion. If you cannot stick to the facts and present some established opinions rather than your own, I suggest we discontinue.

There have been several recent publications that have taken into account, the views of Indian scholars and compared them with the Aryan Invasion theories.

Bryant, Edwin Lecturer in Indology, Committee for the Study of Religion, Harvard University
The Quest for the Origins of Vedic Culture The Quest for the Origins of Vedic Culture.

This book takes a very important step in analyzing both viewpoints in an evenhanded manner.

Excerpts from each chapter of this book are presented on this website:

Oxford Scholarship Online: The Quest for the Origins of Vedic Culture

I am planning to buy this book and read it, and I suggest that you do so as well.

The origin of the IVC and Vedic Civilization is far from certain, and work is still going on in this field. It seems to have picked up some pace in the last 10 years or so.

I suggest we keep our discussion on hold till we gain some more knowledge about the various theories.

Cheers
Stealth

It appears we are digressing from the topic, the "name India", what it referred to etc. I believe that question has been answered relatively well.

I am unsure how the discussion of the usage of the word "Sindhu", in the rigveda relates to this.

Perhaps we should start a different thread, with a specific question, to discuss that? Your thoughts?

The truth that you didn't understand my point?

The most important "points" you make that you highlight in bold seem to be irrelevant, unrelated personal rants directed at posters. That's all that was meant to mean.

Er, sorry I disagree. The words Indra and Sindhu are unrelated.

They might both have come from a common word, but it hasn't been proved.

Well, at least you admitted to the possibility they might have come from a common word, it's not total denial. Much of archaeology is guesswork and trying to fit pieces together. Very rarely will you have a 100% full proof answer. However if you calculate the probability that totally unrelated words have the same pronunciation by chance in the same language and culture, you will find that the chance is extremely small. The probability you will have "Indra" and "Indus" or "India" or "Sindhu" coming from totally unrelated origins is extremely small.

Also, I explained the origin of indra as 'indu' meaning drop and 'ra' meaning possessing. It has does not originate from the word 'sindhu'.

You explaining the MEANING of Indra, not the origin. You can even see that if "Indu" means "drop", ten the "-indu" in Sindhu will also mean drop. These are similar words with different suffixes to indicate person or tense, but they do not alter the meaning of the words. Even this statement of yours underlines what I've said. Indra coming from Indu, and Sindhu coming from Indu. They are all from the same origin. It's no rocket science.

Oh and you are the great Rigvedic expert, to tell the world that 'bits of it don't make sense'.

Either elaborate or don't insult a book revered by millions.

We were told by experts that Iraq had WMD, I didn't believe it. If your logic (depending on whether you have any or not), tells you something does not make sense, and the "experts" say something illogical that does not make sense, then it's clear they have agendas, much of what the Indian archaeologists have. The AIS (Archaeological Survey of India) is a governmental organization that comes under the Ministry of Culture. As such there is a political bias in the conclusions and results they come out with

"The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), under the Ministry of Culture, is the premier organization for the archaeological researches and protection of the cultural heritage of the nation."
About Archaeological Survey of India

When the Hindutva was in power (BJP), you think they didn't push the Indocentric theories for the ASI to come out with. That's why a lot of what the ASI comes out with, I don't believe in the slightest. I don't think most non Indian archaeologists believe it either.

LOL...you crack me up!!

400 years?

Kindly get your facts straight!! You don't know even the basic facts about the evolution of Hinduism.

Hinduism was not a religion initially. It was the term given to the people of Sapta Sindhu by the Persian who pronounced Sindhu as Hindu. They called the area Hindustan, and th people Hindus. In this respect, it was not a religious term initially. It only became a relgious term under I believe perhaps the Mughals or the British, when the religion had evolved into its current form which included cow and rodent worship. You can see th differences between modern day Hinduism and Vedism. The Vedic people had no respect for the cow, they ate it happily, the horse was sacred to them. In Hinduism it's the complete opposite. They are totally different religions at odds with one another, and there was no such things as "Hindu religion" until 400 or 500 years ago - It was just a word to describe the people of Sindh, or Hind as the Persians called it.

ErThe Rigveda composed over a period of many centuries.

You clearly haven't read the Rigveda, understood it or analyzed it.

Those who have done so, both the historians and the priests, realize that the meaning, even pronuciations of several words change through the Rigveda.

Just because it was composed over centuries, does not mean the linguistical meaning of words change. I've proven Sindhu to mean Indus on one occasion in the Rig Veda. So far, you have not proved that Sindhu means river in any of the earlier verses. If you do believe this, explain why you do in your own words so I can understand it (I don't waste time reading Hindutva website).

Even Edwin Bryant, who you refer to later, has ascribed "Indra", "Indus", and "Indura" to the same stem.

"A number of Baltic river names have the form "Indus", "Indura", "Indra", and so on, which are explainable by comparison with the Sanskrit, "indu", drop. (Mallory, 1975, 169). These hydromic etymologies have been accepted as signs of Indo-Aryans".
The Quest for the Origins of Vedic Culture: The Indo-Aryan Migration Debate By Edwin Bryant
p. 133.

Even Edwin Bryant would agree with me. Why would the main God of the Rig Veda, Indra, have a common stem with a more insignificant river? The argument that the Saraswati was more important falls flat on its face when you consider that the personification of th Saraswati, Sarasvaat, is virtually irrelevant in the Rig Veda.

This argument anyhow is irrelevant. I've already proved with articles by foreign, neutral researchers that the home of the Rig Vedic people was somewhere in Gandhara, for sure it was nowhere inside India. Take it up with the researchers I quoted like Perpola and so on.

Indra is not derived from Sindhu. There is no record of such a thing happening. I have explained the etymology of Indra earlier. Kindly leave the determination of word origins to those who understand Sanskrit, and not your imagination.

Edwin Bryant sure seems to think that Indus and Indra have a common etymology. It's pretty obvious to anyone that they are related. Ask a statistician professor if you dont believe me (non Indian again).

In my previous post, I gave links to a detailed analysis of the chronology and geography of the Rigveda.

Have you bothered to read it?

No, because your links are all by Indians, who I consider to be biased in their analysis of history, not to mention some proven lies that the Indian archaeologists and researchers have come out with. Notice I don't quote Pakistani researchers (who at least don't have a government agenda to propagate myths).

Every one of my contentions are explained in detail, very logically.

If you haven't, then there is no point of debating.

It is not logical to claim that Indra cannot have the same origin as Indus, India, or Sindhu, by saying that "Ind" means drop. If anything this just proves they have the same origin. They all contain "Ind"!

Vedic scholars have kept their interpretation consistent from the time it was first codified.
Naturally, this is the most correct one because it has been passed on in an unmodified form.

Westrern scholars, without this essential background, are liable to make mistakes in the interpretation of the vedas.

Oh please. Indian researchers have already been found to have made up lies in their research of the IVC. Not just lies, but they've invented stuff, and put altered the data. It's the most grotesque abuse of archaeology I've seen. Why should I trust anything that is government sponsored, when the government is composed of fundamentalists? I would much rather trust a neutral foreign, Western observer who is an eminent name with a good reputation in the field, like Perpola. To quote Frawley, who runs a Hindutva institute is not being objective.

This report dates back to 1973, when most of the Harappan sites in India were not excavated properly.
Only recently has the ASI taken interest in excavating these sites.

Today, we know that the cemetary-H culture extended well into the Gangetic plains.

Well, this isn't important. I showed that Cemetary H is located only in Pakistan. Having a cultural flow into India (Bharat) is a possibility. What does it indicate? Absolutely nothing, it does not even mean the people associated with Cemetary H (which is not a Rig Vedic culture), moved into Bharat, just the culture. I've proven with references from the most eminent archeologists from a reputable website (ucl.ac.uk), that the Rig Vedic people were associated with Gandhara, evidenced by Swat burial systems.

Quoting Indian researchers, (mind you, not politicians but researchers) is perfectly objective.

You don't know the meaning of objectivity then. Indian researchers researching on Indian history are anything but objective. I've already quoted one example, the "horseplay in harrapa" article, where the Indian researchers just invented data to suit their own agenda (which was to dravidianize the whole issue if i recall correctly).

You should look at what a researcher has written, rather than where he is from.

Whilst that is true, I know what the track record is of Indian archaeologists and I know how much influence Hindutva fanatics have over them. It is one of the purposes of Hindutva to prove to the world man originated from India, and they hold sway over Indian government and its institutes (such as AIS)..its heyday was probably Vajpayee.

If you can present some research on the subject, then kindly do so.

In the meantime, please try to read the sources I gave you with some semblance of objectivity, before dismissing it as propaganda.

I've quoted Asko Perpola!! The article I quoted clearly states that Gandhara was the home of the Rig Veda and the Rig Vedic people!.

That does not make sense.

Firstly, I don't know what you mean by "Hindutva website".

Secondly, I am not a historian. I will definitely get my opinion from another source and present it here.

Kindly try to remember that we are not doing any new research here, simply comparing existing literature.

Frankly, your tone has been rude and condescending throughout our discussion. If you cannot stick to the facts and present some established opinions rather than your own, I suggest we discontinue.

ALL my links have been by foreign researchers. None by Indian or Pakistani. They've all said exactly what I say. I'm not going to believe Frawley, someone who converted to Hinduism and owns a Hindu Institute to make money. These are all vested interests. I'm going with neutral people.

If you want to discontinue it, I'm quite happy, I've noticed you don't seem to get the point I'm making, and don't quote any facts. You do spam, you do deny fact, by saying it's not fact without reason. Continue, discontinue I don't really care.

It appears we are digressing from the topic, the "name India", what it referred to etc. I believe that question has been answered relatively well.

I am unsure how the discussion of the usage of the word "Sindhu", in the rigveda relates to this.

Basically, he's saying that the Rig Vedic homeland was in Bharat. His "evidence" is that the Saraswati is the main river, and since half of it is in Bharat (even if it is the extrem fringe of Bharat), then the Rig Vedic homeland must have been there. I have proved now that most of the eminent researchers in the field such as Perpola, have articles stating that Gandhara was the Rig Vedic homeland. It's made the discussion of Sindhu irrelevant, but just using logic, I could tell that sINDhu, INDra, INDus, INDia have the same common origins. To cut a long story, Indra being the main God of the Rig Veda would not be named after a minor river, and Sarasvaat, one of the minor Gods of the Rig Veda would not be named after the major river. It does not make sense, so I suspect some verses to have been altered. It's irrelevant now as I said. Just read Perpola, he's very balanced, and the most eminent archaeologist in the field.

Here's the Perpola article. There's excellent evidence Gandhara was the Rig Vedic homeland.

The face urns of Gandhâra and the cult of the Nâsatyas
Prof. Asko Parpola: Department of Asian & African Studies University of Helsinki

The Gandhâra Graves represent the first archaeological culture in the Swât Valley region to have the domesticated horse. The two successive cultural phases beginning about 1600 BC and 1300 BC, respectively, probably reflect the arrival of the earlier and later wave of the IndoAryan speakers associated with the Rigveda. On the basis of river names and other indications, the Kânvas of the earlier wave and the Atris of the later wave mainly resided in the Swât area. These singer families are preeminent in praising the Nâsatyas or Ashvins, the divine horseman twins who drive a heavenly chariot, and in offering them gharma, a drink of heated milk. I suggest that the ‘face urn’ characteristic of the Gandhâra Graves is related to the gharma vessel of the Ashvin cult. According to Vedic texts, the gharma pot represents the severed head (which flew off to become the sun) of a heroic deity, and thus it is not unlikely that the pot was fashioned to resemble human head. The ShatapathaBrâhmana (14,1,2,17) in fact specifies that this clay vessel was to have a nose (nâsikâ). Several things including their name associate the Nâsatyas with the nose in the Veda. If accepted, the proposed link between the Vedic religion and archaeological evidence would have important implications. However, it poses some further questions. In particular, did the Nâsatyas and the gharma vessel have a funerary function? Can other traces of the Nâsatya cult be found in the Gandhâra Grave culture?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/southasianarchaeology/Aryans.pdf

And here is confirmation that cemetary H was nothing to do with the Rig Vedic people.

The Vedic Aryans' burial rites and their archaeological parallels
E. Kuzmina: Institute for Cultural Research, Russian Academy of Sciences

These burial rites have nothing in common with the burial rites in Baluchistan and in the Harappan civilization (Marshall 1931; Wheeler 1947; 1953; 1968; Singh 1970; Possehl 2002) and postHarappan cemeteries H, R3, Jhukar and Chanhudaro in India and RanaGhundai, ShahiTump, Khurab in neighbouring lands. The total combination of all specific burial rites characterizes only the Vedic tradition and the Andronovo culture, especiallyin North Bactria. There are a lot of cenotaphs in Bactria (Vinogradova 2004). They may belong to Aryans who migrated to India. (Read Pakistan).

From the same link.

The most important "points" you make that you highlight in bold seem to be irrelevant, unrelated personal rants directed at posters. That's all that was meant to mean.

Well, at least you admitted to the possibility they might have come from a common word, it's not total denial. Much of archaeology is guesswork and trying to fit pieces together. Very rarely will you have a 100% full proof answer. However if you calculate the probability that totally unrelated words have the same pronunciation by chance in the same language and culture, you will find that the chance is extremely small. The probability you will have "Indra" and "Indus" or "India" or "Sindhu" coming from totally unrelated origins is extremely small.

Each of the three word you mentioned have their own etymology and origin.

The word Indra, is derived from "Indu"+"ra" in Sanskrit meaning "possessor of rain".

The word Sindhu comes from Sanskirt root "Sidh", meaning to "keep off". It is the generic word for "river or stream", although archaic.

The word Indus arrives very late and cannot be related to either of these two.

Even if we do suppose that the word Indra came from Sindhu, it doesn't change the location of the composition of the Rigvrda. (Note: I am not endorsing your view, but simply supposing it)

The location of the Rigveda is centered around Places, not Gods. Since the Saraswati is the most prominent river, and indeed the river of the vedic homeland, not to mention that the location of the source of Saraswati is mentioned in one of the earliest chapters, is tenable proof that the rigvedic homeland was the punjab region.

You explaining the MEANING of Indra, not the origin. You can even see that if "Indu" means "drop", ten the "-indu" in Sindhu will also mean drop. These are similar words with different suffixes to indicate person or tense, but they do not alter the meaning of the words. Even this statement of yours underlines what I've said. Indra coming from Indu, and Sindhu coming from Indu. They are all from the same origin. It's no rocket science.

So? I have explained my position above.

But even if we do suppose for a moment, that all Sanskrit dictionaries, literature, interpretations done in India for 3000 years are wrong, the common origin for the words "Indra" and "Sindhu" don't indicate a place for the Rigveda at all.
If anything, they lend credence to the aryan migration theory.

We were told by experts that Iraq had WMD, I didn't believe it. If your logic (depending on whether you have any or not), tells you something does not make sense, and the "experts" say something illogical that does not make sense, then it's clear they have agendas, much of what the Indian archaeologists have. The AIS (Archaeological Survey of India) is a governmental organization that comes under the Ministry of Culture. As such there is a political bias in the conclusions and results they come out with

Oh of course they are!! Didn't they just manage to pass off a "disguised slum" , in your own words, as an ancient harappan city?

I"m sure they're all a bunch of trishul-toting goons with no education!!!

ITs obvious that you don't have a semblance of objectivity about you. In such circumstances, it is silly for me to keep debating.

When the Hindutva was in power (BJP), you think they didn't push the Indocentric theories for the ASI to come out with. That's why a lot of what the ASI comes out with, I don't believe in the slightest. I don't think most non Indian archaeologists believe it either.

No I don't think so. They can favour the "out of India theory" a bit more, but thats about it.

It doesn't come down to artificially creating historical sites to prove their point.

This is India, not Pakistan, where mythology is passed off as history.

Indian archaeologists like S R Rao, B B Lal, V N Misra and S P Gupta are well renowned and respected in their field. If you like, you can read up their details yourself.
If you want to dismiss their theories because of your hatred for Hindus and Hinduism (I am not supposing this, it kinda obvious from your posts), then too bad. I am not going to press the point any further.

Hinduism was not a religion initially. It was the term given to the people of Sapta Sindhu by the Persian who pronounced Sindhu as Hindu. They called the area Hindustan, and th people Hindus. In this respect, it was not a religious term initially. It only became a relgious term under I believe perhaps the Mughals or the British, when the religion had evolved into its current form which included cow and rodent worship. You can see th differences between modern day Hinduism and Vedism. The Vedic people had no respect for the cow, they ate it happily, the horse was sacred to them. In Hinduism it's the complete opposite. They are totally different religions at odds with one another, and there was no such things as "Hindu religion" until 400 or 500 years ago - It was just a word to describe the people of Sindh, or Hind as the Persians called it.

I know about the origin of the word "Hindu" very well. There is no need to lecture on it. Apart from being completely off topic, your post is rude, condescending and downright wrong.
I am not going to waste my time correcting each one of your irresponsible sentences, because i don't have the patience to do it.

Just because it was composed over centuries, does not mean the linguistical meaning of words change. I've proven Sindhu to mean Indus on one occasion in the Rig Veda. So far, you have not proved that Sindhu means river in any of the earlier verses. If you do believe this, explain why you do in your own words so I can understand it (I don't waste time reading Hindutva website).

Maybe you should try wasting some of that precious time of yours.

I am not going to quote each of the 176 mentions of the word Sindhu and explain individually how the word is used generically.

Perhaps a standard english translation of the Rigveda with explanations for each verse would help you.

For your information, I have studied sanskirt, I understand the language, and I have read the Rigveda before.

Just for your Info, all the rivers in the Rigveda are feminine gender, described as goddesses.
The word "Sindhu" however, is an exception, being of male gender. Thus, in the later parts of the Rigveda, especially the important Nadistuti Sukta, which you quote so often, the usage of the word "Sindhu" to mean a particular river is a very strange anomaly, since it was used more in a generic fashion earlier and was later changed to mean a particular river.

Also, out of the 176 mentions, 95 are in the prural.

I don't really support the theory that counting the number of times a river is mentioned proves beyond doubt the location of the Rigveda, but just for the record, the word Saraswati is mentioned a total of 72 times in all the books except book 4, and is recognized as the ámbitame nádītame dévitame sárasvati or "best mother, best river, best goddess saraswati"

Even Edwin Bryant, who you refer to later, has ascribed "Indra", "Indus", and "Indura" to the same stem.

"A number of Baltic river names have the form "Indus", "Indura", "Indra", and so on, which are explainable by comparison with the Sanskrit, "indu", drop. (Mallory, 1975, 169). These hydromic etymologies have been accepted as signs of Indo-Aryans".
The Quest for the Origins of Vedic Culture: The Indo-Aryan Migration Debate By Edwin Bryant
p. 133.

Yes, that would be some evidence to use for the Aryan migration theory. It doesn't ascertain the location of the Rigveda in the least.

Even Edwin Bryant would agree with me. Why would the main God of the Rig Veda, Indra, have a common stem with a more insignificant river? The argument that the Saraswati was more important falls flat on its face when you consider that the personification of th Saraswati, Sarasvaat, is virtually irrelevant in the Rig Veda.

Let us not presume what Edwin Bryant would agree to without first reading his version of events.

I have never heard of this Saraswaat. the Saraswati itself is prominently personified as a goddes in the Rigveda.

This argument anyhow is irrelevant. I've already proved with articles by foreign, neutral researchers that the home of the Rig Vedic people was somewhere in Gandhara, for sure it was nowhere inside India. Take it up with the researchers I quoted like Perpola and so on.

No, I am afraid you haven't proved it.

Simply flouting a researcher as "neutral" and dismissing another's as "hindutva", without reading what each one has to say is not what I would call a sincere analysis.

If you want to somehow force the conclusion that the Rig Veda was composed in Pakistan, then you are doing the right thing by disregarding all sources that don't support your viewpoint.

However, if you sincerely intend to ascertain the truth, then you are way off track.

Edwin Bryant sure seems to think that Indus and Indra have a common etymology. It's pretty obvious to anyone that they are related. Ask a statistician professor if you dont believe me (non Indian again).

Edwin Bryant was just mentioning the probable origin of the words as a support for Aryan migration theory.
He didn't link the finding to the Rigveda, and neither is it logical to do so.

No, because your links are all by Indians, who I consider to be biased in their analysis of history, not to mention some proven lies that the Indian archaeologists and researchers have come out with. Notice I don't quote Pakistani researchers (who at least don't have a government agenda to propagate myths).

Which lies? The Indian researchers I mentioned are some of the most prominent in the field. If you continue to disregard them, I'm afraid you will be missing out on a lot.

It is not logical to claim that Indra cannot have the same origin as Indus, India, or Sindhu, by saying that "Ind" means drop. If anything this just proves they have the same origin. They all contain "Ind"!

Note: "Indu" translates as "drop", not "Ind". Additionally it may indicate "Moon", depending on the context.

Your analysis is crude and, well, wrong.

please. Indian researchers have already been found to have made up lies in their research of the IVC. Not just lies, but they've invented stuff, and put altered the data. It's the most grotesque abuse of archaeology I've seen. Why should I trust anything that is government sponsored, when the government is composed of fundamentalists? I would much rather trust a neutral foreign, Western observer who is an eminent name with a good reputation in the field, like Perpola. To quote Frawley, who runs a Hindutva institute is not being objective.

Which lies? Kindly be more specific.

Once again, and I am tired of repeating this, simply dismissing a whole body of work as propaganda isn't going to help your case.
Especially since Indian archaeological finds are changing esblished views about the IVc.

Well, this isn't important. I showed that Cemetary H is located only in Pakistan. Having a cultural flow into India (Bharat) is a possibility. What does it indicate? Absolutely nothing, it does not even mean the people associated with Cemetary H (which is not a Rig Vedic culture), moved into Bharat, just the culture. I've proven with references from the most eminent archeologists from a reputable website (ucl.ac.uk), that the Rig Vedic people were associated with Gandhara, evidenced by Swat burial systems.

Here is a para from your source:

The burial rite of the Vedic Aryans has been reconstructed on the basis of Rigveda
(X: 14 18),
Atharvaveda (XVIII: 1 4),
Shatapathabrahmana
(XIII, 8), and later
texts (Caland 1896; Pandey 1982; Smirnov 1997).

Both Atharvaveda and Shatpathabhramana come later than Rigveda.
The author is referring to Vedic burial practices after the Rigveda was codified, which is later than the period that we are discussing.
Also, the version of the Rigveda being referred to is Mandala 10, which is the newest portion of the Rigveda, and is the one in which the Ganges river is mentioned.

Obviously, the people of Atharvaveda and Shatpathbhramana were in the gangetic plains.

SO naturally, the burial practices of these people are difference from Cemetary-H ones.

You don't know the meaning of objectivity then. Indian researchers researching on Indian history are anything but objective. I've already quoted one example, the "horseplay in harrapa" article, where the Indian researchers just invented data to suit their own agenda (which was to dravidianize the whole issue if i recall correctly).

This is getting irritating. the guy in the "Horseplay in Harappa" article is not a well known researcher or archaeologist. He was pretty much unheard of till his sensational claims.
Several failed attempts have been made to decipher the script by westerners as well, much much more than the Indians. Why don't you consider them as propaganda and then label all western researchers as propagandists?

I've quoted Asko Perpola!! The article I quoted clearly states that Gandhara was the home of the Rig Veda and the Rig Vedic people!.

Here's another quote from Perpola from the same article:

If accepted, the proposed link between the Vedic religion and archaeological evidence
would have important implications. However, it poses some further questions. In
particular, did the Nâsatyas and the gharma vessel have a funerary function? Can
other traces of the Nâsatya cult be found in the Gandhâra Grave culture?

Clearly, this is merely speculation. It is a long shot from conclusively being accepted. Equally credible theories exist for the Punjab-Haryana region as the vedic homeland.
How can you be so sure? Atleast read his book before jumping to conclusions.

The word Indra, is derived from "Indu"+"ra" in Sanskrit meaning "possessor of rain".

The word Sindhu comes from Sanskirt root "Sidh", meaning to "keep off". It is the generic word for "river or stream", although archaic.

The word Indus arrives very late and cannot be related to either of these two.
You never apply logic to what you write. Like a parrot, you don't question propagandist websites, just accept them.

If Sanskrit "Sidh" means to "keep off", what does this have to do with a river or water? Why on earth would they name a river the "Keep off River"? You think the Rig Vedic people were stupid or something? You have to apply reason to understand the naming of these rivers when there is a pluralistic array of meanings to the names. Since it's a body of water, Edwin Bryant's explanation is obviously the most likely.

p. 133.

Interestingly I've come across all these definitions of Sidh..

The term had been derived from the Sanskrit root sidh meaning "fulfillment" or "achievement," so the noun came to refer to one who had attained perfection.
the_tamil_siddhas

"All our creative energy is spent on “sidh” which is a Sanskrit word meaning “to prove”.

Offshore 3d modeling, 3d animation, 2d animation, Architectural,Renderings,Raster to Vectors,Game environments,WEBDESIGN.

Which makes the best sense to you? The Tamil definition of Sanskrit is a possibility "The Perfect River", but more likely it is a hydromenic etymology from the stem "Ind" means drop. How you believe it means "The Keep Off River" is just lacklustre reasoning I can only think.

Something that you need to consider is each of these rivers were personified as Gods and Goddesses. The River Saravasti was personified as the Goddess Saravasti. Now who was the personification of the Sindhu? Indra is the only one that comes to mind.

I'll also point out that I've found hundreds of other references to the Indus without question in the Rig Veda.
"18 This river with his lucid flow attracts you, more than all the streams,—
Even Sindhu (Indus) with his path of gold."

Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 8: HYMN XXVI. Aśvins.

In the initial part of the Rig Veda, the personification of the Sarasvati appears

"9 Iḷā, Sarasvatī, Mahī, three Goddesses who bring delight,
Be seated, peaceful, on the grass."

Rig Veda: Rig-Veda Book 1: HYMN XIII. Agni

As you can see yourself, the Saraswati river has been personified, AS HAVE ALL THE RIVERS OF THE RIG VEDA. How many times is the Saraswati mentioned, and how many times is Indra mentioned. Indra is by far the most important God of the Rig Veda. If you don't think Indra is the personification of the River Indus, who is Indra?

This is a quote from wiki, which i don't usually quote from.
In the 1 and 10 of the Rigveda, the Sarasvati is mentioned in 13 hymns (1.3, 13, 89, 164; 10.17, 30, 64, 65, 66, 75, 110, 131, 141). Only two of these references are unambiguously to the river, 10.64.9 calling for the aid of three "great rivers", Sindhu, Sarasvati and Sarayu, and the geographical Nadistuti list (10.75.5) discussed above. The others invoke Sarasvati as a goddess without direct connection to a specific river. In 10.30.12, her origin as a river goddess may cause the rishi invokes her as protective deity as he composes a hymn to the celestial waters. Similarly, in 10.135.5, as Indra drinks Soma he is described as refreshed by Sarasvati. The invocations in 10.17 address Sarasvati as a goddess of the forefathers as well as of the present generation. In 1.13, 1.89, 10.85, 10.66 and 10.141, she is listed with other gods and goddesses, not with rivers. In 10.65, she is invoked together with "holy thoughts" (dhī) and "munificence" (puraṃdhi), consistent with her role as the goddess of both knowledge and fertility.
You are welcome to check each of these references. Just as you doubt the Rig Vedic "Sindhu" refers to the Indus, there is equal room for doubt that the Rig Vedic "Saraswati" refers to the river. Not only this, the meaning of "Saraswati" can also be river or stream in Sanskrit.

"It comes from the Sanskrit roots "saras", which means a lake or other body of water (also implying the flowing movement of water), and "vati", meaning a female associated with the former. Therefore, Sarasvati can be taken to mean something like "she of the stream" or "she who flows."
A Shrine of Sarasvati Devi: Her Other Names

Based on this, just as you apply your reasoning that Sanskrit Sindhu can mean River generically, you can apply the meaning that Sanskrit Saraswati can mean River generically. If you look at the context, you will find that only in TWO instances is the Saraswati mentioned definitely as a river in chapter 10 of the Rig Veda, and each of these times, the Indus (Sindhu) is mentioned as the chief river, the Saraswati along with teYamuna and so on.

So? I have explained my position above.

But even if we do suppose for a moment, that all Sanskrit dictionaries, literature, interpretations done in India for 3000 years are wrong, the common origin for the words "Indra" and "Sindhu" don't indicate a place for the Rigveda at all.
If anything, they lend credence to the aryan migration theory.

I actually agree with Frawley on this..there was no Aryan migration into India/Bharat. That much is pretty obvious. But the evidence indicates a definite Aryan migration into at least parts of Pakistan. This much is unquestionable.

Oh of course they are!! Didn't they just manage to pass off a "disguised slum" , in your own words, as an ancient harappan city?

I"m sure they're all a bunch of trishul-toting goons with no education!!!

ITs obvious that you don't have a semblance of objectivity about you. In such circumstances, it is silly for me to keep debating.

Objectivity would be if non Indian and neutral researchers were allowed to take samples of whatever they wanted from the Indian sites, to carbon date them (it's not accurate but a start), and perhaps do more accurate analysis. When the main archaeological body falls under the governmental Ministry of Culture, and that Ministry is a part of a fundamentalist Hindutva BJP government, then the results obtained are no objective. I'm sure that even the ministry of culture under Hitler was ordered to stick to an agenda. It's better that independent researchers also contribute to the archaeology, such as what has happened in Pakistan, even in Saudi it seems.

I know about the origin of the word "Hindu" very well. There is no need to lecture on it. Apart from being completely off topic, your post is rude, condescending and downright wrong.
I am not going to waste my time correcting each one of your irresponsible sentences, because i don't have the patience to do it.

You've been saying you're not going to respond to my posts for the last 4 days, but you still do :enjoy: . Anyhow, it's fine, I'm finding out stuff. How was my post rude. Let me post it again. I wonder if anyone else finds it "rude and condescending", or perhaps you just can't answer :agree:

Maybe you should try wasting some of that precious time of yours.

I am not going to quote each of the 176 mentions of the word Sindhu and explain individually how the word is used generically.

Perhaps a standard english translation of the Rigveda with explanations for each verse would help you.

For your information, I have studied sanskirt, I understand the language, and I have read the Rigveda before.

Just for your Info, all the rivers in the Rigveda are feminine gender, described as goddesses.
The word "Sindhu" however, is an exception, being of male gender. Thus, in the later parts of the Rigveda, especially the important Nadistuti Sukta, which you quote so often, the usage of the word "Sindhu" to mean a particular river is a very strange anomaly, since it was used more in a generic fashion earlier and was later changed to mean a particular river.

Also, out of the 176 mentions, 95 are in the prural.

I don't really support the theory that counting the number of times a river is mentioned proves beyond doubt the location of the Rigveda, but just for the record, the word Saraswati is mentioned a total of 72 times in all the books except book 4, and is recognized as the ámbitame nádītame dévitame sárasvati or "best mother, best river, best goddess saraswati"

The same what you've said above applies to the Saraswati. It only unequivally refers to the River Saraswtai in the last chapter. Prior to this, it refers to the Goddess Saraswati. If you count the number of times the Saraswati appears in the Rig Veda, you must count the number of time the Sindhu appears in the Rig Veda, plus the number of times Indra appears in the Rig Veda, since this is the most likely personification of the Indus.

Yes, that would be some evidence to use for the Aryan migration theory. It doesn't ascertain the location of the Rigveda in the least.

It does show that the three are related though, which is the purpose of the quote, nothing to do with Aryan migration theory. The three being hydromcally related means that they have the same origin and are related to one another. This ties Indra in with the Indus. This is one of the lines of reasoning as to why the Indus is the main river of the Rig Veda..Because its personification as a deity is the main God of the Rig Veda.

No, I am afraid you haven't proved it.

Simply flouting a researcher as "neutral" and dismissing another's as "hindutva", without reading what each one has to say is not what I would call a sincere analysis.

If you want to somehow force the conclusion that the Rig Veda was composed in Pakistan, then you are doing the right thing by disregarding all sources that don't support your viewpoint.

However, if you sincerely intend to ascertain the truth, then you are way off track.

How am I supposed to know which Indian researcher is being objective and which is a Hindutva fanatic bent on getting notoriety and a healthy paycheck from some BJP affiliated politician? You have to remember Bharati history is currently politically sensitive, and the Hindutva in government have an agenda. It's difficult for Westerners perhaps to understand since government does not have such a lot of fundamentalist fanatics in government, but these are the problems associated with Indian archaeology currently. The whole scenario is different.

Which lies? The Indian researchers I mentioned are some of the most prominent in the field. If you continue to disregard them, I'm afraid you will be missing out on a lot.

Which lies you say. Here's one big one for a start.

Horseplay in Harappa - Details for: Science: Archaeology: Periods and Cultures: Harappan: Language and Script: Horseplay in Harappa

HORSEPLAY IN HARAPPA

The attempt to Hinduise the system of education had, however, begun much before the BJP gained access to government power. As early as 1942 the RSS had initiated steps to organise its own educational network.
In the process, history is turned into myth which tends to inculcate in the young minds a false sense of religious pride and hostility to the members of other denominations.
On the whole, there is a tendency to control the intellectual and cultural life in conformity with a fundamentalist view. In the way such a view is implemented, irrationally and aggressively, there are unmistakable signs of fascist tendencies.
Therefore the current debate about history in India is as much about the integrity of the discipline as about the future well-being of the country.

Outsider as enemy

N.S. Rajaram typifies the worst of the "revisionist" movement, and obviously fails on all counts. The Deciphered Indus Script is based on blatantly fake data (the "horse seal," the free-form "decipherments"); disregards numerous well-known facts ( the dates of horses and chariots, the uses of Harappan seals, etc.); rejects evidence from whole scientific fields, including linguistics (a strange exclusion for a would-be decipherer!); and is driven by obvious religious and political motives in claimi ng impossible links between Harappan and Vedic cultures.

HORSEPLAY IN HARAPPA

This is India, not Pakistan, where mythology is passed off as history.

Indian archaeologists like S R Rao, B B Lal, V N Misra and S P Gupta are well renowned and respected in their field. If you like, you can read up their details yourself.
If you want to dismiss their theories because of your hatred for Hindus and Hinduism (I am not supposing this, it kinda obvious from your posts), then too bad. I am not going to press the point any further.

Well this is a blatant attempt at insulting Pakistan without any proof that a Pakistani archaeologist has been behind ANY manipulation of history (if so quote one, don't accuse). I have proved (and it's common knowledge as my articles show outside of India), that Indian archaeologist and Hindutva fanatics work very closely with one another because history in that part of the world is politically charged and has an agenda.

From the articles quoted above by Witzel (a Harvard University Indologist).

You quote Gupta as world renowned, here is what Witzel says about him and other Indian researchers.

They find allies in a broader assortment of home-grown nationalists including university professors, bank employees, and politicians (S. S. Misra, S. Talageri, K.D. Sethna, S.P. Gupta, Bh. Singh, M. Shendge, Bh. Gidwani, P. Chaudhuri, A. Shourie, S.R. Goel). They have even gained a small but vo cal following in the West among "New Age" writers or researchers outside mainstream scholarship, including D. Frawley
HORSEPLAY IN HARAPPA

Obviously Frawley was outside of mainstream scholarship, that much was obvious, but at least I have a Harvard University Professor of Indology supporting my points of view about some Indian archaeologists and their blatant faking of history. Even SP Gupta is another one quoted by him. Why should I believe the others. Now Parpola, has a clean reputation, and I believe what he says. He does not have an agenda, he is not Hindu, and does not live in India or run a Hindu Institute like the ones you quote such as Frawley. That is the difference between the strength of credibility I quote and what you quote.

Note: "Indu" translates as "drop", not "Ind". Additionally it may indicate "Moon", depending on the context.

Your analysis is crude and, well, wrong.

The suffix shows the person/tense, the stem is (like all languages) the same, Ind is a stem, it can be shorter or longer. You would know this if you knew anything about linguistics.

Here is a para from your source:

The burial rite of the Vedic Aryans has been reconstructed on the basis of Rigveda
(X: 14 18),
Atharvaveda (XVIII: 1 4),
Shatapathabrahmana
(XIII, 8), and later
texts (Caland 1896; Pandey 1982; Smirnov 1997).

Both Atharvaveda and Shatpathabhramana come later than Rigveda.
The author is referring to Vedic burial practices after the Rigveda was codified, which is later than the period that we are discussing.
Also, the version of the Rigveda being referred to is Mandala 10, which is the newest portion of the Rigveda, and is the one in which the Ganges river is mentioned.

Obviously, the people of Atharvaveda and Shatpathbhramana were in the gangetic plains.

SO naturally, the burial practices of these people are difference from Cemetary-H ones.

Dude, please. First, this is the whole quote
"The burial rite of the Vedic Aryans has been reconstructed on the basis of Rigveda (X: 14 18), Atharvaveda (XVIII: 1 4), Shatapathabrahmana (XIII, 8), and later texts (Caland 1896; Pandey 1982; Smirnov 1997)."

This guy has reconstructed the burial rites of the Vedic Aryans and found that under no circumstances does cemetary H or any of the other cultures in todays Bharat correspond to the same culture. He did however mention that the Vedic Aryan burials have something in common with the cenotaphs of Bactria (which formed a part of Afghanistan, and I believe the Northwestern edge of Pakistan which would correspond with the Gandhara area). Anyhow the same cenotaphs have been found all over the Northwest of Pakistan.

These northern areas are generally considered to be the region of the Rig Vedic people, some evidence in this respect may be found in the ancient cemeteries of Swat, Dir and Peshawar indicating a widespread distinct burial practice. This Gandhara grave culure, as it is usually termed is amongst the earliest to possess the horse; this animal is also prominent in the Rig Veda. Inhumation in the graves is the predominant mode of disposal of the dead, but cenotaphs and cremation ritual also appear for the first time in south Asia : both methods are known from the Rig Veda.
American Institute of Vedic Studies - Vedic Heritage of Northwest Pakistan

There is little question that the early Rig Vedic homeland was Gandhara. And we know that in the latter stages of the Rig Veda the Indus was 100% the main river. So I don't see any shift of the homeland at all.

This is getting irritating. the guy in the "Horseplay in Harappa" article is not a well known researcher or archaeologist. He was pretty much unheard of till his sensational claims.
Several failed attempts have been made to decipher the script by westerners as well, much much more than the Indians. Why don't you consider them as propaganda and then label all western researchers as propagandists?

Dude, NS Rajaram was the co author of many books sold in Bharat. He's even got backing from the AIS. He even has the backing of political friends, so he's hardly unheard of of weak..

"In a recent online exchange, Rajaram dismissed criticisms of his faked "horse seal" and pointed to political friends in high places, boasting that the Union government had recently "advised" the "National Book Trust to bring out my popular book, From Sarasvati River to the Indus Script, in English and thirteen other languages."
HORSEPLAY IN HARAPPA

The reason his failed attempt was different from Westerners was because he faked his data. He invented it. Read the article.

Here's another quote from Perpola from the same article:

If accepted, the proposed link between the Vedic religion and archaeological evidence
would have important implications. However, it poses some further questions. In
particular, did the Nâsatyas and the gharma vessel have a funerary function? Can
other traces of the Nâsatya cult be found in the Gandhâra Grave culture?

Clearly, this is merely speculation. It is a long shot from conclusively being accepted. Equally credible theories exist for the Punjab-Haryana region as the vedic homeland.
How can you be so sure? Atleast read his book before jumping to conclusions.

Dude, READ the bits I quote. It does not say "if accepted" for the bits I quoted. It says that the commonly held view, (and presumably Parpola's view, remembering no archaeological theory can be treated as a fact), is that..

"The Gandhâra Graves represent the first archaeological culture in the Swât Valley region to have the domesticated horse. The two successive cultural phases beginning about 1600 BC and 1300 BC, respectively, probably reflect the arrival of the earlier and later wave of the IndoAryan speakers associated with the Rigveda. On the basis of river names and other indications, the Kânvas of the earlier wave and the Atris of the later wave mainly resided in the Swât area"

This means the belief (or perhaps his belief) is that Gandhara was the site of the Rig Vedic homeland and the first culture to domesticate the horse. It is his view that the IndoAryans associated with the Rig veda produced the cultural phases that lasted over centuries (around the time the Rig Veda was written).

Even that Harvard Professor believes there is a political agenda to some Indian/IVC/Vedic archaeologists, so I'm not alone in thinking this.

History and Hindutva Propaganda

It might be tempting to laugh off the Indus script hoax as the harmless fantasy of an ex-engineer who pretends to be a world expert on everything from artificial intelligence to Christianity to Harappan culture.

What belies this reading is the ugly subtext of Rajaram's message, which is aimed at millions of Indian readers. That message is anti-Muslim, anti-Christian, anti-Indological, and (despite claims to the opposite) intensely anti-scientific. Those views pr esent twisted images of India's past capable of inflicting severe damage in the present.

Rajaram's work is only one example of a broader reactionary trend in Indian history. Movements like this can sometimes be seen more clearly from afar than nearby, and we conclude with a few comments on it from our outside but interested perspective.

In the past few decades, a new kind of history has been propagated by a vocal group of Indian writers, few of them trained historians, who lavishly praise and support each other's works. Their aim is to rewrite Indian history from a nationalistic and rel igious point of view. Their writings have special appeal to a new middle class confused by modern threats to traditional values. With alarming frequency their movement is backed by powerful political forces, lending it a mask of respectability that it do es not deserve.

Unquestionably, all sides of Indian history must be repeatedly re-examined. But any massive revisions must arise from the discovery of new evidence, not from desires to boost national or sectarian pride at any cost. Any new historical models must be cons istent with all available data judged apart from parochial concerns.

The current "revisionist" models contradict well-known facts: they introduce horse-drawn chariots thousands of years before their invention; imagine massive lost literatures filled with "scientific" knowledge unimaginable anywhere in the ancient world; p roject the Rigveda into impossibly distant eras, compiled in urban or maritime settings suggested nowhere in the text; and imagine Vedic Sanskrit or even Proto Indo-European rising in the Panjab or elsewhere in northern India, ignoring 150 years of evide nce fixing their origins to the northwest. Extreme "out-of-India" proponents even fanaticise an India that is the cradle of all civilisation, angrily rejecting all suggestions that peoples, languages, or technologies ever entered prehistoric India from f oreign soil - as if modern concepts of "foreign" had any meaning in prehistoric times.

Ironically, many of those expressing these anti-migrational views are emigrants themselves, engineers or technocrats like N.S. Rajaram, S. Kak, and S. Kalyanaraman, who ship their ideas to India from U.S. shores. They find allies in a broader assortment of home-grown nationalists including university professors, bank employees, and politicians (S. S. Misra, S. Talageri, K.D. Sethna, S.P. Gupta, Bh. Singh, M. Shendge, Bh. Gidwani, P. Chaudhuri, A. Shourie, S.R. Goel). They have even gained a small but vo cal following in the West among "New Age" writers or researchers outside mainstream scholarship, including D. Frawley, G. Feuerstein, K. Klostermaier, and K. Elst. Whole publishing firms, such as the Voice of India and Aditya Prakashan, are devoted to pr opagating their ideas.

There are admittedly no universal standards for rewriting history. But a few demands must be made of anyone expecting his or her scholarship to be taken seriously. A short list might include: (1) openness in the use of evidence; (2) a respect for well-es tablished facts; (3) a willingness to confront data in all relevant fields; and (4) independence in making conclusions from religious and political agendas.

N.S. Rajaram typifies the worst of the "revisionist" movement, and obviously fails on all counts. The Deciphered Indus Script is based on blatantly fake data (the "horse seal," the free-form "decipherments"); disregards numerous well-known facts ( the dates of horses and chariots, the uses of Harappan seals, etc.); rejects evidence from whole scientific fields, including linguistics (a strange exclusion for a would-be decipherer!); and is driven by obvious religious and political motives in claimi ng impossible links between Harappan and Vedic cultures.

Whatever their pretensions, Hindutva propagandists like Rajaram do not belong to the realm of legitimate historical discourse. They perpetuate, in twisted half-modern ways, medieval tendencies to use every means possible to support the authority of relig ious texts. In the political sphere, they falsify history to bolster national pride. In the ethnic realm, they glorify one sector of India to the detriment of others.

It is the responsibility of every serious researcher to oppose these tendencies with the only sure weapon available - hard evidence. If reactionary trends in Indian history find further political support, we risk seeing violent repeats in the coming deca des of the fascist extremes of the past.

The historical fantasies of writers like Rajaram must be exposed for what they are: propaganda issuing from the ugliest corners of the pre-scientific mind. The fact that many of the most unbelievable of these fantasies are the product of highly trained e ngineers should give Indian educational planners deep concern.

In a recent online exchange, Rajaram dismissed criticisms of his faked "horse seal" and pointed to political friends in high places, boasting that the Union government had recently "advised" the "National Book Trust to bring out my popular book, From Sarasvati River to the Indus Script, in English and thirteen other languages."

We fear for India and for objective scholarship. To quote Rajaram's Harappan-Vedic one last time: "A great disgrace indeed!"

HORSEPLAY IN HARAPPA

And here is another REPUTABLE quote from a Harvard Professor of Indology

"The current "revisionist" models contradict well-known facts: they introduce horse-drawn chariots thousands of years before their invention; imagine massive lost literatures filled with "scientific" knowledge unimaginable anywhere in the ancient world; project the Rigveda into impossibly distant eras, compiled in urban or maritime settings suggested nowhere in the text; and imagine Vedic Sanskrit or even Proto Indo-European rising in the Panjab or elsewhere in northern India, ignoring 150 years of evide nce fixing their origins to the northwest. Extreme "out-of-India" proponents even fanaticise an India that is the cradle of all civilisation, angrily rejecting all suggestions that peoples, languages, or technologies ever entered prehistoric India from foreign soil - as if modern concepts of "foreign" had any meaning in prehistoric times.
HORSEPLAY IN HARAPPA

Vedic Sanskrit did not arise in the Punjab (which makes it impossible for it to have arisen along the Saraswati). It arose in the Northwest. That is where Vedism arose..the Northwest of Pakistan. These are the words of Harvard University Professors. But you will still not believe them because they do not fit your Hindutva centric viewpoint. Why do you think the most emininent, neutral names in IVC/Vedic archaeology state that Gandhara was the Vedic homeland or the place of Vedic Sanskrit development (which must have coincided with the Vedic homeland). Why do you think the archaeology points to Gandhara being the Vedic homeland as Parpola has said is most likely? ALL the evidence points to the North of Pakistan as being the Vedic homeland, as does even the genetics! Choosing illogic over logic is not the right option to fulfill your wet fantasies of Hindutva glory.

Nice find RR :)

Imo western scholarly sources are the most neutral, and are always backed up with actual research.

And here is another REPUTABLE quote from a Harvard Professor of Indology

"The current "revisionist" models contradict well-known facts: they introduce horse-drawn chariots thousands of years before their invention; imagine massive lost literatures filled with "scientific" knowledge unimaginable anywhere in the ancient world; project the Rigveda into impossibly distant eras, compiled in urban or maritime settings suggested nowhere in the text; and imagine Vedic Sanskrit or even Proto Indo-European rising in the Panjab or elsewhere in northern India, ignoring 150 years of evide nce fixing their origins to the northwest. Extreme "out-of-India" proponents even fanaticise an India that is the cradle of all civilisation, angrily rejecting all suggestions that peoples, languages, or technologies ever entered prehistoric India from foreign soil - as if modern concepts of "foreign" had any meaning in prehistoric times.
HORSEPLAY IN HARAPPA

Vedic Sanskrit did not arise in the Punjab (which makes it impossible for it to have arisen along the Saraswati). It arose in the Northwest. That is where Vedism arose..the Northwest of Pakistan. These are the words of Harvard University Professors. But you will still not believe them because they do not fit your Hindutva centric viewpoint. Why do you think the most emininent, neutral names in IVC/Vedic archaeology state that Gandhara was the Vedic homeland or the place of Vedic Sanskrit development (which must have coincided with the Vedic homeland). Why do you think the archaeology points to Gandhara being the Vedic homeland as Parpola has said is most likely? ALL the evidence points to the North of Pakistan as being the Vedic homeland, as does even the genetics! Choosing illogic over logic is not the right option to fulfill your wet fantasies of Hindutva glory.

Acutally, even I have been reading up a lot of stuff thanks to this debate, and I have found some interesting material.

I'll get back to you on this!!

Lots of reading to do!! :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom