What's new

NATO offers condolences for airstrike deaths in Afghanistan

Aragorn

Reaction score
NATO offers condolences for airstrike deaths in Afghanistan

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- NATO expressed "deep regret" Wednesday following a coalition airstrike that killed eight Afghan youths last week.
The International Security Assistance Force offered condolences, and said it is investigating the strike on a village in Kapisa province, northeast of Kabul.
"While the exact circumstances of this tragic incident remain to be determined, ISAF is taking appropriate action to ascertain the facts, and prevent similar occurrences in the future," NATO said in a statement.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai strongly condemned the strike last week.
Civilian deaths as a result of action by the NATO-led international coalition have long caused anger in Afghanistan, adding pressure on international forces to withdraw.
The international force has said avoiding civilian casualties is a high priority, a pledge it repeated following the recent deaths.
"My command's mission is to protect the civilian people of Afghanistan," said Gen. John R. Allen, commander of the international force. "I take very seriously the loss of every Afghan life. We will continue to do all we can to ensure the safety of the Afghan population."
The number of ISAF-caused civilian deaths decreased by nearly 17% from 2010 to 2011, the coalition force said in its December monthly report.
Insurgents caused more than 85% of civilian deaths and injuries in 2011, according to the report.

Yeah, but no regret or remorse for loss of Pakistani life.

His responsibility is to restrict the loss of all lives in the region through NATO, be it Afghan or Pakistani.

I see, so they f**ked up again. I'm not sure how long I can buy the 'deep regret' and 'prevent similar occurrences in the future' statements.

Back
Top Bottom