What's new

Official Al Khalid 2 Discussion

Kharian_Beast

Reaction score
One of the hardest tanks to get information about, any updates or information regarding AK2 please post here.

Last edited:
One of the hardest tanks to get information about, any updates or information regarding AK2 please post here.

- better protection
- revised hull
- faster engine
- refined weapons and suites
- less visible on radar
- Larger caliber AA gun (remote controlled function)
- made 100% in Pakistan

come on yaar... this is not AK2:cheesy: its a type-90 with additional reactive armors.. AK2 will will be a total new looking beast.... as far as i know.. PAk is negotiating with turkey for joint venture..

Whats to discuss? The project is still in planning stages there are no prototypes yet.

There does seem to be two trains of thought on its design one a revised version of the Chinese Type 99 and the other the joint Turkish Project.

I know I wasn't saying it was the AK2 but it's not an ordinary Type 90 and it certainly has a different hull. Can someone help me out with that picture that is also in the defense gallery.

Last edited:
I think when AK2 is introduced certain subsystems may be used to upgrade the existing Al Khalids to give a degree of commonality for example like the 125mm guns present on all current Pakistani MBTs.

I think when AK2 is introduced certain subsystems may be used to upgrade the existing Al Khalids to give a degree of commonality for example like the 125mm guns present on all current Pakistani MBTs.

Hmm probably. Just depends who the source is going to be for AK2. The Korean K2/Turkish tank I believe represents western armor school of thought while China is heavily influenced by Russian designs and doctrine. I personally like the new Chinese tanks better because no one knows a thing about them outside of China and they look very capable and sleek with their smaller silhouettes.

Plus the Turks are taking way to long to even design the bloody thing and get 1 prototype built.

How promising does the Type 99A2 sound? I know Wiki is shaytaan but it says here :

" The latest variant developed and now in trial is the Type 99A2 with a 1,500-hp water cooled diesel engine and getting re-designed at some parts.

The Type 99A2 has increased armor on the turret. The self-defense laser module has been replaced by an active defensive module. The ZTZ-99A2 also installed ERA on the front and side turret. The tank hull will follow the MBT 2000 configuration instead of the previously used hull. "

That last sentence sounds promising.

Last edited:
come on yaar... this is not AK2:cheesy: its a type-90 with additional reactive armors.. AK2 will will be a total new looking beast.... as far as i know.. PAk is negotiating with turkey for joint venture..

Guess what...I'm pretty certain that tank is not a Type 90. You want to know why? I found that picture under a Chinese site saying it was the Type 99A2 in prototype form.

Ahem...

:bunny:

Whats to discuss? The project is still in planning stages there are no prototypes yet.

There does seem to be two trains of thought on its design one a revised version of the Chinese Type 99 and the other the joint Turkish Project.

Again how sure are you there are no prototypes from the Chinese side? I really doubt our next tank will be Korean.

The advantage of the Turkish project is that it would feature western style crew protection systems like blow out panels and seperate crew and ammo compartments but the downside is that it will have similar failings like the Indian Arjun project as more armour means more weight.

Thus far the Chinese have not utilised crew protection as mentioned above in the Type 99 so I'm not as keen on it.

Hi guys this is my first post so greeting, i don't mean to rude but their are actuall information regarding the AK2 tank? What i can tell is i dont post very often for the reason as i work with one of Pakistan leading defence contractors. AK1 MBT was a faliure (off the record) it suffers from who massive technical problems in regards to its mixture technologies. The Pakistan Army have with not commited to acquireing a large number, the Al Zarra has not meet Paksitan Army recuirements. The Saudi government finaced most of AK1 MBT and have rejected on simiar grounds as the Pakistan Army did.

The sad out come is the the Pakistan Army is heavily diss satisfied with both MBTs. Funding as re alocated towards aviation due to operation in the tribal area and complaints from junior offices of equipment short falls and lack of air mobility in the face of a resourcfull enemy. However defence contractors have recieved the go head to present MBT solutions to GHQ for consideration for the future. Although an offer from the Ukaraine for T80ud license is on the table however i think lack funds will end up putting this offer on hold.

Pakistan army test pilots have been Spain testing the Tiger attack helicopter three weeks ago. The evaluation lasted 5 days including night testing, th evaluation report is to be submitted to the department of defence procurment GHQ and COAS at the end of this month.

I will keep you guys updates on anything else i hear.
regards RS4

Hi guys this is my first post so greeting, i don't mean to rude but their are actuall information regarding the AK2 tank? What i can tell is i dont post very often for the reason as i work with one of Pakistan leading defence contractors. AK1 MBT was a faliure (off the record) it suffers from who massive technical problems in regards to its mixture technologies. The Pakistan Army have with not commited to acquireing a large number, the Al Zarra has not meet Paksitan Army recuirements. The Saudi government finaced most of AK1 MBT and have rejected on simiar grounds as the Pakistan Army did.

The sad out come is the the Pakistan Army is heavily diss satisfied with both MBTs. Funding as re alocated towards aviation due to operation in the tribal area and complaints from junior offices of equipment short falls and lack of air mobility in the face of a resourcfull enemy. However defence contractors have recieved the go head to present MBT solutions to GHQ for consideration for the future. Although an offer from the Ukaraine for T80ud license is on the table however i think lack funds will end up putting this offer on hold.

Pakistan army test pilots have been Spain testing the Tiger attack helicopter three weeks ago. The evaluation lasted 5 days including night testing, th evaluation report is to be submitted to the department of defence procurment GHQ and COAS at the end of this month.

regards RS4

This is the first time I've headr that AK-I is a failure. If it is true, the implications are quite troublesome for the Pakistani defence forces. This post can also be an attempt to prevent foreign countries from purchasing the Al-Khalid tank. I cannot tell which one is the fact as I do not have any inside connection.

WRONG on ALL COUNTS Mr. JK!

AK-2 is ready at HIT for testing by the Pakistan Army (see attached photo of AK-2 in its bare glory :tup:). It is equipped with a more powerful Ukrainian 1200HP engine and a few other gimmicks such as the IBMS, dual DNVS, most likely an LTS, etc etc. Initially it was planned to display the AK-2 at the IDEAS 2008 but later it was dropped.

Again AK-2 is the joint project of Pakistan and China with no other foreign involvement is design and/ or development.:pakistan::china:

Attachments

• DSC01866.jpg
    DSC01866.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 927

regards RS4

Yes, thank you for your 'insider, off the record information' out of your location in the UK.

Don't expect us to buy this unless you can actually validate your credentials - contact the admins for that.

regards RS4

Your information seems to be not supported by facts on the ground. Army is quite satisfied with the Al-Zarrar and Al-Khalid 125mm platforms as they are investing in the platform capability expansion projects. What are the 'mixture technologies' your refer to? Again the AK and AK-1 project are NOT financed by the Saudi Government. Its a Pak-China affair all the way with some local and European elements added to it! Which defense contractors have received the ''go-ahead'' for new tanks from GHQ? Pakistan spent years and billions to set-up HIT and now do you really think that they will bring in another completely new platform? Highly unlikely scenario my friend! It is the T-80UD and its exclusive oil which is causing more problems for the Army than any other tank in its inventory. Army will NOT buy additional T-80UD's, that is a well known fact! Lastly, Pakistan does not have the money to buy the TIGER attack helicopter, its too expensive!

I heard that AK-1 will improve upon the current AK in terms of transmission, armor, ERA, etc. However the AK-2 is a new tank design that may possibly draw heavily from the Turkish ALTAY and Chinese ZTZ-99 MBT projects. I read on multiple media sources that PA was interested in 1500hp engines, newer generation armor and even a rumour of 120mm calibre cannon...though this will all need to be verified. Nonetheless, a member named Sabre on PDF spoke to HIT officers and said that AK2 will be superior to the Chinese ZTZ-99...so it should give you an idea of its capabilities.

Personally I think it will be heavier than the AK, but not as heavy as Arjun or Leopard-2. It may draw upon design aspects from the ZTZ-99, but use armor, engine, internal-systems (FCS), etc, from the Turkish ALTAY. I'd imagine it'll have a laser defense system and ATGMs...not sure about 120mm calibre rifle, but it's possible. Basically AK2 should be in the range of 52-57 tonnes and have armor quality well on par to that of Arjun and the smaller version of it...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom